DMS 2 visual editor lockdown issue in chrome

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi-

I entered the doce so that only I can access the visual editor in chrome. I added define( 'PL_EDITOR_LOCK', 'Kimberlee' ); to wp-config.php.

Now when I login as any admin that is not Kimberlee (as you see in above editor lock code) the header on my site looks like THIS .

And it is supposed to look like this:

http://www.thecosmicpath.com

Please advise,

Kim

41 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

KimAnn03

Can you email me our helpdesk with the details so we can login and see the issue first hand, as I have used that code before to only allow one user access to the DMS Visual Editor and I have never encounter your issue.

Also, regarding your image, I am not sure as to why you think there is some kind of issue with the supersize image option. I have already mentioned on your topic regarding this, that when I use your image on my test site, I have no issue with a flicker, which is present on your site. This issue is related to your hosting environment, i.e. you're either on shared hosting which really shouldn't be used for web sites if you want your site to have decent performance or your server is configured in such as away that it is causing the issue.

I would highly recommend you use either a cache plugin when your site has been finalised or you use a CDN, this should improve your supersize images load time and reduce the white background flicker. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72kd3ovZg8

Posted · Report post

Danny"] (please read my entire response this time) I am so tired of reinventing the wheel with you guys. I'll paste my convo with @[member="Martin Davies. I am not on a shared server, it's a stylesheet issue as I already mentioned.

OH and so you'll stop blaming my server, I asked martin this directly:

@Martin Davies do you think switching to a new host would resolve the issue? We are going to switch hosts soon anyway so is it possible the new host will handle this in a way that will not cause te distracting flicker?

To which he replied:

"@KimAnn03 it could help but there are a few bits of housekeeping that may be better in the long term.  Before switching hosts have a look at the detail in the email i sent and try to get your site loading less resources on Page Load. Reuse images and resize using CSS rather than having the same image at two different sizes on your server and having your site load both resources in two places on the same page. 

I think i listed a few things that could be done to improve site performance. i will have a look through the email. 

I think avoiding using the SuperSized JS functionality for your site setup would be the answer."

btw- did the housekeeping...of course the issue still remains BECAUSE....

bg.jpg (the background image) is the 49th out of 53 stylesheet to load!
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/dwjAwK/http://www.thecosmicpath.com/

My server said it's the way the theme organizes the data.

AND yes, it works on your site...you don't have many plugins loading on your site so the image doesn't get pushed down so far. You're showing me a test site and like every other learning environment/test site it's not filled with plugins like a real site would be.

This also from Martin Davies

''Your live site uses supersized and WordPress loads the supersized.js jquery script which handles the background image sizing.

Jquery is loaded after the page loads and runs on document.ready. As there are quite a few items to load each time the page loads and WordPress has to load the script for each page.

http://www.codeproje...-vs-window-load

As i explained previously, the more elements your site loads and the larger the file size of those elements causes the page to load slowly and the 'Page Load' sequence of events and the subsequent loading of the scripts more noticeable. 

I have added responsive image CSS to the site for you and this loads a responsive image without jquery. 

html {
background: url(http://dev.thecosmicpath.com/wp-content/uploads/bg-1.jpg) no-repeat center center fixed;
-moz-background-size: cover;
-o-background-size: cover;
-webkit-background-size: cover;
background-size: cover;
}

/* this removes the white site background that is added after the HTML tag and therefore sits on top */

body .site-wrap {
background-color:transparent;
}

Posted · Report post

Also @danny:

I am not sure as to why you think there is some kind of issue with the supersize image option.

I would have never come up with this this is straight from Martin

I have already mentioned on your topic regarding this, that when I use your image on my test site, I have no issue with a flicker

Good for you. I still have a flicker. where does that leave us?

You guys can be very quick to tell us what is NOT a DMS problem but when it comes to actually fixing an issue that might be your problem first I have to take a good few weeks to convince you that I've tried everything....THEN I wait another few weeks for a response. It's too much

Posted · Report post

Danny i made a video for you too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK0V5PwS-1o&feature=youtu.be

Posted · Report post

Hi Kim 

martin I already fixed these issues for my live site and as I stated the visual editor issue still remains.

I've sent you many emails and questions about the background image CSS. Can you tell me where things are with that. I've optimized as you suggested- compressed photos, fixed HTML, still working on CSS cleaning. All these things I value and are great for the site but nothing really effects the awful load time of that super sizes image. Please at the least can I have a timeframe?! Started the thread on that issue in FEBRUARY.

We can't customise your site for you. I gave you a workaround of using CSS as the alternative to Supersize and provided the code in the end. When that didn't work for you i attempted another code for you using media breakpoints to handle the background differently for you but that didn't work for you. 

Not sure what else i can provide for you other than to advise using the Supersized script and optimising your site further. It is impossible to try and rectify code issues on your test site as there are many bits of code that will not parse and any changes made to code by myself in particular do not show up as the defective code is causing the problems. 

We have tried to pinpoint the defective parts of the code in your media boxes, text boxes and other places on your site that could be causing the problems. 

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies I had no idea you were done trying?!

last we left it the CSS you provided worked great on the site, but you were trying to get it to work on mobile and tablet? Am I wrong? I thought I was waiting for that piece from you and then I was going to go live with it. You said you were "working on a solution for mobile".

I in no way expect you to customize my site. I asked if I should change hosts, I've fixed up my code on my site and will do that right now on dev site too. I'm willing to do my part but not sure where to go from here? Where does this leave me?

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies you said: "It is impossible to try and rectify code issues on your test site as there are many bits of code that will not parse and any changes made to code by myself in particular do not show up as the defective code is causing the problems."

I believe I fixed these issues as per your recommendations. Let me know otherwise and please let me know what I am misunderstanding. It was never that "it didn't work for me" that's not a fair assessment. It didn't WORK, period. Would you use a background image on your responsive theme that wasn't responsive? It worked on computer screen only. You never said you can't make it work responsively you said you were working on it...so where exactly did I misunderstand things?

Posted · Report post

The simple piece of code i provided works for all devices as far as i can tell. it was the way it looked that you didn't like. The next time i came to look at your issue i noticed the errors in the code i mentioned and now we are here. 

Posted · Report post

well define "worked"...was there a background image on mobile....yes...was it bloated and super zoomed in and silly looking...yes. Was this as far as the "fix" can go?

The only reason I was waiting for a fix on the responsive piece was because you said you were working on it...is that no longer the case?

Lastly, can you tell me if these errors are still on dev. Again I am willing to do whatever it takes so just tell me what I need to do.

Posted · Report post

At this point Martin Davies can you just tell me if I have your CSS entered accurately in the dev site. I see the work you did for mobile responsiveness but not sure it's registering. Here's what it looks like in the CSS editor:

html {
  background: url(http://dev.thecosmicpath.com/wp-content/uploads/bg-1.jpg) no-repeat center center fixed;
  -moz-background-size: cover;
  -o-background-size: cover;
  -webkit-background-size: cover;
  background-size: cover;
}

/* this removes the white site background that is added after the HTML tag and therefore sits on top */

body .site-wrap {
}
/*
@media only screen and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 2)
and (min-device-width : 320px)
and (max-device-width : 568px) {

html {
    -webkit-background-size:cover;
  background: url('http://dev.thecosmicpath.com/wp-content/uploads/bg-1.jpg');
  background-position:50% 0%;
  background-repeat:no-repeat;
  background-color:#1c041e;
    height:100%;

}

body .site-wrap {
}

}

*/

Posted (edited) · Report post

Regarding this original topic James B"] @[member="Danny I removed all CSS and optimized my html code and still have the visual editor issue. The CSS is back in the editor of both sites now, but when I removed it still had the site header issue. I've done all the troubleshooting I can...please advise

Edited by KimAnn03

Posted · Report post

So you guys found the time to properly defend yourselves but no time to offer solutions? Danny you made a whole video to show me how well things work for you but couldn't take that time to maybe see why it's not working for me? This is so frustrating. I need resolve for these 2 issues (visual editor and mobile responsive CSS for background image ) so I can move on. You guys act like I enjoy wasting my time proving to you that I have issues related to DMS.

Posted · Report post

Hello Kim 

Just looking at your Background issue and i will have a look at this for you and we can reply for you. 

Posted · Report post

OK, so I have just recreated your entire header area, with the login-logout widget, your two columns with a MediaBox in each and copied the HTML. I was able to recreate your issue when logged in as an administrator of which wasn't added to the define code in the wp-config.php.

As far as I can tell, when this code is active for some reason it appears to strip the <div class="row">. I am going to speak to one of our developers regarding this.

Also @danny:

I am not sure as to why you think there is some kind of issue with the supersize image option.

I would have never come up with this this is straight from Martin

I have already mentioned on your topic regarding this, that when I use your image on my test site, I have no issue with a flicker

Good for you. I still have a flicker. where does that leave us?

You guys can be very quick to tell us what is NOT a DMS problem but when it comes to actually fixing an issue that might be your problem first I have to take a good few weeks to convince you that I've tried everything....THEN I wait another few weeks for a response. It's too much

I have already told you above twice, the issue is related to your site. We can't fix an issue when I can't recreate it on a vanilla install of WordPress and DMS. If the issue isn't happening when all that is installed is WordPress and DMS, then that tells me the issue lies with your site and is usually related to one of the following:

1. A plugin - Therefore, disable all active plugins and see if the issue is still occurring.

2. If the issue is occurring, then it's likely related to your server environment, i.e. cheap hosting or a poorly configured hosting environment.

We are quick to jump to DMS defence, as you're adamant that the issue is DMS related. This isn't related to stylesheet issue, if it was a stylesheet issue, then it would be happening on my site too. I have used the same image that is on your site. The image appears virtually instant i.e. no flicker which you can see from my video.

You haven't waited a few weeks for a response. You topic regarding the background image flickering was created Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:19 AM and Martin the same day and within the hour replied Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:58 AM.

I then replied on the 14 April 2014 - 01:21 PM with the following:

OK, I've just this moment uploaded your image to my test site which is locally hosted via MAMP Pro and I do have any issue with your image loading. This means that your host isn't the greatest, I can tell this as it takes me about 2-4 seconds for your site to load and my internet speed is 152Mbt.

You replied saying that the issue is related to stylesheet order and that I couldn't recreate it, because I didn't have all the plugins you installed. That isn't a DMS issue, you have installed those plugins. However, I went ahead and installed all the plugins that I could, as you have quite a few that are either premium or ones I can't even find especially the ones who's author is PhiloPress.

https://cloudup.com/czg1ohUUX5p

When all these plugins were installed/activated, I went back to my test site and there was no flicker - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voP32B1o9oY

So the first you need to do is disable all active plugins, as I was unable to do an accurate recreation of your site as some plugins I do not have access too. If the issue still persists, then I'm afraid it has to be server related.

Posted · Report post

OK, so I have just recreated your entire header area, with the login-logout widget, your two columns with a MediaBox in each and copied the HTML. I was able to recreate your issue when logged in as an administrator of which wasn't added to the define code in the wp-config.php.

As far as I can tell, when this code is active for some reason it appears to strip the <div class="row">. I am going to speak to one of our developers regarding this.

Danny will this be something released in an update or will you be providing resolve for me here in the forum?

Also, Danny"] and @[member="Martin Davies can you please get on the same page regarding the background image issue. I am getting completely opposing messages. Danny is saying this is not a DMS issue all the while Martin is trying to help me remedy the situation. Also Danny I have spelled out a few times what Martin has discovered but you still insist it's something else...btw- the disabling of plugins is ALWAYS the first test I do. I did that test back in February when this conversation started and still had the issue.

Truth is I think it is somewhere in between my issue and DMS. DMS could not have foreseen the way each individual server might handle supersize...I think supersize was a great attempt at mobile responsiveness but is, in my case, organized to load poorly. My server is telling me that the order of the stylesheets is organized by the theme and Danny is telling me it's not a DMS issue. Regardless it's important we all be on the same page and not waste each other's time reinventing the wheel each time we visit the issue.

Posted · Report post

Regarding the div row issue, I have reported it to our tracker. I will speak to our developers again to make sure they can recreate the problem.

In regards to your other issue with Supersize, I am no longer going to reply in this topic, we need to keep this on topic and if you have anything to mention, please do so in the correct topic.