Photo
- - - - -

Just installed Danny's Skeleton child theme to DMS2

Best Answer Danny , 29 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

@dsolano

I've edited my child theme, added your changes and re-zipped the theme, you can download it here - http://ge.tt/30UhGse1/v/0?c

All you need to do now, is install it like any other WordPress theme.

However, I am not sure why the are finding the process scary, as it is the same for every WordPress child theme including PageLines Framework. If you want to rename it and change the directory, you can either do what I have done or use your FTP client.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma
  • Framework Version:2.3.3

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Danny:

I have to confess that I have been winging it since Platform Pro.  I have used PageLines Framework 2.0 for several years now and have loved it.  I tried to DMS1 and got too confused.  Now I have dared to try DMS2 on one of my sites and it just is not intuitive.

So I am giving up and am going with installing a child theme.  I have never done that before.  It seemed scary since I really never understood what a child theme was.  But okay, I now get it.  

So I contacted support and Martin suggested I download your Skeleton Child theme.  I downloaded it from Github, changed the name and then uploaded it to my website as a theme with a new name.  Then I realized I had not followed all your instructions from https://github.com/Dannyholt/Skeleton so I tried to do that -- but could not open the .less files -- so spent money to "fix my computer" which was a mistake and we won't go there.  My computer is fine.  It's my brain that is fried. 

So here's where I am.

The installed theme is Skeleton -- since I did not rename it.  It's just as you created it.  (If that's not okay, then I have to go back to trying to open the .LESS files using Chrome and Windows 7 Ultimate.)

So -- assuming that is okay.  I am moving forward.  

Here is my question:  When I am in the DMS editor and I click on Add to Page it says Theme:  DMS.  Shouldn't it say Theme:  Skeleton?

Did I do something really wrong?

Please tell me I am on the right track.  

I have been working on this for three days straight and I want to walk away and cry.  However, I am determined to get everything fixed soon.

The website I am working on is called http://OkLandandRanches.com

I know it is a mess.  I just cannot figure it out.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Debbie Solano

By the way:  Other sites I did by winging it with PageLines Framework are:  http://OklahomaHorseProperties.com, http://midtownTulsaRealEstate.net, and http://RivieraMayaFa...ndSpaHotels.com -- at least those are the only ones I am admitting to in a public forum.

#2 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

Hello @dsolano

The Child theme - skeleton is bare bones and contains the very basic things you need. It sites between yourself and your site and allows you to make changes to your site layout without affecting the actual site theme. A kind of buffer zone. Also your changes wont be lost when the files you would change without the child theme are updated during a product update. 

Here is my question:  When I am in the DMS editor and I click on Add to Page it says Theme:  DMS.  Shouldn't it say Theme:  Skeleton?

The theme is still DMS technically and your customisations are being added to your child theme.  it will still display DMS in the visual editor 'add to page' area as you described. as the sections you are adding to the page are from the DMS theme... 

To open .less file you just need a text editing programme. - Notepad is about as basic as it gets for this on a windows machine. There are more powerful, more feature rich alternatives available. 

I know others will agree but i recommend http://www.sublimetext.com/download

• dsolano likes this

#3 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

Okay.  

I downloaded Sublime Text and changed the style.css and called it Solano -- as if it's my very own child theme.  I saved it.

Now, how do I upload it to my WP theme in Pagelines when it is no longer zipped?  

#4 Aires

Aires

Advocate

• Members

• 321 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • Framework Version:DMS2

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:50 AM

Hi,

You will need access to your website via either FTP or your hosting provider’s file manager application. Most users use FileZilla but there are others.

I wish I new of a  easy to follow guide to recommend.

#5 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

Okay.

Let me get this straight.

First I change the name of the folder on my hard drive from Skeleton-master to Solano-master.

Then I change the style.css file as follows:

/*  
Theme Name: Solano
Description: Solano is a basic child theme for PageLines DMS 2 
Version: 1.0.0
Author: Debbie Solano

Template: dms

*/

/** 
 * All CSS & LESS CSS should be added to the style.less file.
 * However, you can use this file if you only wish to use CSS.
 * Lines 13-15 can be removed.
 */

Then I FTP the file change up to my wp-content file on the host server.

Is that correct?

#6 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

This is really scary for me, but the whole reason I am doing this is so that I can do what I want.  I am just trying to recover the functionality I had with PageLines Framework.  It seemed so simple to me once I figured it out.  

At this point I just want to get DMS 2 to do what I was able to get Framework to do.  

Once I get past the learning curve it will be awesome.

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17002 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:20 AM   Best Answer

@dsolano

I've edited my child theme, added your changes and re-zipped the theme, you can download it here - http://ge.tt/30UhGse1/v/0?c

All you need to do now, is install it like any other WordPress theme.

However, I am not sure why the are finding the process scary, as it is the same for every WordPress child theme including PageLines Framework. If you want to rename it and change the directory, you can either do what I have done or use your FTP client.

• dsolano and Aires like this

#8 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

Thank you, Danny.

That worked!  Yeah!  I have now activated the Solano theme on my DMS2 site.  Very cool!

Now, going forward.  Do I customize the CSS by going to Appearance --> Themes --> Solano and click on Customize and put the code in there?  I assume that I would build the code with SublimeText and then copy and past to the theme.  Is that correct?

[By the way, it's the FTP process that really seems scary.  I am not sure why. When I have to FTP things to my server it just seems confusing.  Not that I've ever really messed it up at that level.  I am just nervous about it.]

My very best regards, 

Debbie

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17002 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

When creating code, you should always use a code editor such as SubLime Text. Once you're happy with your code add it either the style.css or if you plan on using LESS CSS you should add your code to the style.less file. You should read our customization documentation it contains all the information you need.

http://docs.pageline...ow-to-customize

#10 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

So I can use either CSS or LESS:  one goes into the style.css file and one goes into the style.less file.

After I create the code what happens?

Do I cut and paste it into the DMS2 Appearance --> Customize ?

I ask because the Custom LESS/CSS seems to be one file.  In fact, the LESS code that I had there before I uploaded and activated the new Solano child theme is still there.

Is there another place where I should be putting the code? One place if it is CSS and another place if it is LESS?

Sorry to be so dumb about this.  I just want to be sure and not make a mistake.

Best regards,

Debbie

#11 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hello Debbie 

The best thing to do is read this http://docs.pageline...ow-to-customize

this will work like a checklist of things you have done to make sure you haven't missed anything - doesn't look like you have though as you are ready to enter your custom code. 

Then - http://docs.pageline...ase-child-theme

This explains where to enter your custom code 

#12 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

Thank you.  I'll work on that. 

Meanwhile, I broke the site somehow when I tried to Activate the Old PageLines Launchpage plugin that came over when I migrated the site from PageLines Framework -- in was inactivated but not deleted.

I didn't even need that plugin.

The error message is:

Fatal error:  Class 'PageLines Template' not found in /home/content/34/9061334/html/oklandandranches/wp-content/plugins/launchpage/launchpage.php on line 38

Does this have anything to do with the new Child Therme OR did this plugin just break my site?

Either way, any suggestions as to what I should do to fix it?

My very best regards,

#13 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

delete the plugin folder, then go to wp-admin/plugins page, it will then disable it for you.

#14 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

Do you mean to delete the plugin folder on the server for just the Launchpage plugin? 

or do you mean to delete the entire plugins folder?

#15 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

i mean the one plugin that is giving you the fatal error

#16 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

I deleted the Launchpage folder in wp-content/plugins and the site came back up just fine.

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

All is good now.

#17 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17002 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

Thank you for informing us the issue has been resolved.

#18 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

Danny:  

I tried to edit the style.css to build a skeleton child theme for another DMS2 website and I cannot seem to do it.

The website is cancunfamilyresortsandspahotels.com

Would you be so kind as to edit Skeleton again and rezip it after calling it Solano-Cancun?

Then I'll upload the child theme to the website as a zip file.

Thank you so much.

My very best regards,

Debbie

#19 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

Okay.  Let's back up.

I feel like the whole world is watching me and thinking how dumb I am.

I am working on OklandandRanches.com -- let's forget about the Cancun site for now.

Today I updated my DMS 2 theme and therefore lost my CUSTOM/LESS CSS that was in </> Custom in the DMS Editor.  I had read that it would disappear when an update occurred.  No problem.

So I then reloaded my Solano theme -- to which I had made no changes.  For all intents and purposes, it is still Danny's Skeleton theme

Then I put the old code into CUSTOM/LESS CSS.  The code is: 

body{

// LESS

@color: #FF8533;

#header {
  color: @color;
}
h2 {
  color: @color;
}
}

Quite simple really.

I then publish it.  Nothing happens.

My site should be robin's egg blue and it is white.  What am I not doing?

I feel like an idiot.

Please help.

#20 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:04 AM

Here is a really good tutorial explaining what a child theme is and how it works:

https://thethemefoun...ss-child-theme/

If does a good job of explaining the basics.