DMS 2 Migrated site, nothing carried over

Question

Posted · Report post

Okay, I am trying to move a site to its permanent home.

Here's the temporary site.

http://imaginemediasolutions.com/mafietta/

I moved the files, database, and downloaded the JSON file from the temp site.

Aaaaaannnnnd....

I get this:

http://mafietta.com/

:: head desk ::

Help.

51 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Yes, I do. But I better let him give it to you. 

Posted · Report post

Yes, I do. But I better let him give it to you. 

Yeah, true!  I wrote him so I'm sure he'll let me know!

Posted · Report post

Anything you would like to send to PageLines staff members or moderators can be sent to hello @ PageLines dot com along with a link tot he topic and we make sure they receive the information :)

Posted · Report post

Anything you would like to send to PageLines staff members or moderators can be sent to hello @ PageLines dot com along with a link tot he topic and we make sure they receive the information :)

Thanks!  Sending now!

Posted · Report post

atcdomainsolutions - Can you send me your sites JSON file and also provide a link so I can see how the site is supposed to look. I will test this on one of my test sites.

Danny

I just sent the message and .json file attached to Hello@pagelines.com and marked it for you.

Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Hi James,

Email received and I've forwarded a copy to Danny as well, the site you've linked to be checked has a maintenance plugin active so we can't see the layout.

When I import the json file you sent I see the following templates display - http://screencast.com/t/HHaLr9Zqc and css - http://paste.pagelines.com/paste_old/867 but nothing else seems to have changed.

Posted · Report post

Hi James,

Email received and I've forwarded a copy to Danny as well, the site you've linked to be checked has a maintenance plugin active so we can't see the layout.

When I import the json file you sent I see the following templates display - http://screencast.com/t/HHaLr9Zqc and css - http://paste.pagelines.com/paste_old/867 but nothing else seems to have changed.

Ah forgot to turn that off. I'll turn it off first thing.

As far as the screenshots you sent, I think that may be someone else's? That's not my css and those aren't my templates.

Posted · Report post

Hi James,

Danny

I just turned the Maintenance mode off.

Screenshot to my templates you should see:   http://www.screencast.com/t/RcMdoB3Wawx

As far as my templates and CSS, the first few lines of my CSS are:

.masthead.with-splash .inner {
margin-bottom: -10%;
}

.jc_hide_mastheadButtons .masthead-tag {

font-size: 1em !important;
}

.jc_hide_mastheadButtons .btn {
  display: none;
}

.widget ul.sub-menu .current-menu-item a {
  color: #0e6d73 !important;
}

Posted · Report post

OK, I was unable to import your JSON. However, I created my own for my test site, I then imported that successfully on another test site.

So, I will we speak to our developers and see if they can see whats the problem.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

OK, I was unable to import your JSON. However, I created my own for my test site, I then imported that successfully on another test site.

So, I will we speak to our developers and see if they can see whats the problem.

Have you looked at mine yet?

Posted · Report post

radroz"] - I've only received @[member="atcdomainsolutions. I will speak to our helpdesk and ask them to pass it onto one of our developers.

Posted · Report post

I just re-sent it.

Posted · Report post

@radroz 

Can you make sure you send to hello at PageLines dot com please?

Posted · Report post

radroz"] - I've only received @[member="atcdomainsolutions. I will speak to our helpdesk and ask them to pass it onto one of our developers.

Hey Danny

I was just checking in to see if anything was found regarding the transfer problem here?  

Thanks!

James

Posted · Report post

Did you try the latest DMS the importer/exporter got a few tweaks.

Posted · Report post

Have you looked at mine yet?

Also cc'ing Simon_P"] and @[member="Danny

radroz"], not sure if you got any resolution to this but I took @[member="Simon_P 's advice and upgraded to DMS 2.0.6 and it finally worked!

1.  I upgraded my site that started all of this from 2.0.3 or whatever it was to DMS 2.0.6 (latest version)

2.  I then exported a NEW .json file from the site.

3.  I went to ANOTHER test site and uploaded and set up DMS 2.0.6.  

4.  Then went in and imported the .json file and all my templates, customizations and CSS imported this time!

WHEW!!!!!  Don't know about you but SO GLAD this worked.  I had already had to rebuild a site (thank goodness it was smaller) that did not export any of my templates or settings so to know DMS 2.0.6 fixed this is a big relief!  I recommend upgrading if you haven't since it did fix this issue.

Simon_P"] and @[member="Danny, thanks for you help.  I owe you guys a beer!

James

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

atcdomainsolutions - Thanks for informing us the issue has been resolved.

radroz - Did upgrading resolve your issue too ?

Posted · Report post

Just had my website moved over to the actual domain now. http://lovepattayathailand.com

The hosting company i use had a few problems moving the themes css over initially. Now all the files pages and custom post types are on the domain and it looks ok, it is missing some styles still though.

The social media icons on the front page and the font for the email link and tel number in the header do not look the same as before.

http://lovepattayathailand.com     

http://lovepattayathailand.developedbyhuman.com

The hosting guys have told me that all the css styling files have been carried across from the theme and the framework and have asked that i ask on the forum if were missing something?

Any help would be appreciated, the website is live at the moment and id like to get the website looking the way it was on the test site as quickly as possible.

Thanks again for your time.

Ben

Posted · Report post

Just noticed that the icons are missing for pagelines sections, edit icon, duplicate, delete etc when logged into the frontend. On firefox i have the social media icons (logged out) but the envelope icon, telephone icon and the "more" link are not present on the "new website".

What have the hosting company missed or not followed through correctly?

Any ideas?

Cheers guys

Posted · Report post

Can you go to DMS Toolbar > Site Settings > Reset and click Flush Caches, see that resolves the issue. If it doesn't, open up your Chrome Dev tools and see if there are any errors.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Danny - I gave it a go even though the social media icons and the dms tool bar icons returned to the website. Since the switch between development website and current website I have been struggling to use the frontend editor. It seems to struggle to load the frontend editor most of the time now and there seems to be massive delays when clicking tabs in toolbars for sections etc. The development website is still online and im thinking of having the domain switch done again because im not sure i trust this one. My host assures me everything is fine but i can tell this install wasnt performing the same as the development site straight away, they also had issues with it in the first place so ive lost a bit of confidence with it.

What do you recommend i do about the whole situation? Any services for checking the health etc? Should i have the job done again?

Any advice is welcome, sorry if ive gone of topic, i will start a new thread if you like. Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Can you provide a link to the domain that is having the issue please, so we can run some tests to see if this indeed is a hosting issue. It may be related to shared hosting which is known for its performance issues.

However, you should also try removing all custom code, scripts and disable your plugins to see if this improves the performance.

Posted · Report post

HI Danny, thanks for getting back to me. The website performance is very inconsistent. Its hard to tell sometimes because of poor internet in Thailand but it just doesnt perform well at all now. When we first switched the development website over to the real domain the hosting company had some issues along the way and took a couple of days to get it sorted. To begin with the website was loading fast, when just browsing the website, page loading speeds under 2 sec, A+, etc. Then after his cloudflare was effecting the website and was turned off everything became very slow and un-responsive at times.

When logged into the website, i could tell straight away when trying to load the frontend editor that it wasnt like the development site. Very slow to respond and hardly ever loading the frontend editor first time, sometimes having to close the browser and re-open because of un-responsiveness.

Its horrible to think ive been working on the development website and everything was working fine then to have it switched to the real domain and be experiencing performance issues straight away, not encouraging they messed about with the switch also. Both the development website and the real website have performed badly today and tonight so im thinking mostly down to poor hosting. I do feel however the new website isnt quite right compared to the development one.

New Webiste:  http://lovepattayathailand.com/

Development: http://lovepattayathailand.developedbyhuman.com/

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Posted · Report post

I have just visited both sites and I must say, both sites perform well. I visited most pages from the menu and the pages loaded almost instantly. I even ran a reverse IP check to see how many sites were on that IP and there are only ten. This isn't a sign that you're on a shared hosting environment, usually anything over 150 sites is a bit suspect and means the package the user has is shared hosting which is cheap and poor hosting. This isn't the issue in your case and therefore, the only thing I can suggest is your interwebs is shocking!

I even made a quick video for you showing how well the page load perform - http://quick.as/gQagHAyP

I thought Thailand had uber internet ?

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny, thanks for looking into the issue for me. Did you run any tests on my install, still not convinced its 100% after they moved the website. Working in the backend and using the frontend editor is poor compared to when i was using the development website.

Unfortunately the internet in Thailand is pretty poor generally. There are some good providers out here but they cant fit the lines or supply everyone because of one reason or another. At the moment im having to work with 13mb/1mb internet speeds. Thailand download speeds are ok here but upload speeds are very poor, which isnt great for website design.

I asked my host to turn off the cloudflare on the website yesterday to try and improve our loading speeds. His cloudflare was actually stoping the website from loading images in iboxes etc. The cloud flare wasnt turned on in the development stages and the website performed much better then compared to now.

After cloudflare was paused, the website seemed to perform better straight away. I wasnt waiting for the frontend editor to load, i wasnt having to re-load pages nor was i experiencing many of the other performance related issues. Have you heard of any other DMS website being negatively effected by having cloudflare turned on? Are there optimum settings?

I really need the website performing fast here in Thailand. I have been considering hosting the website in Singapore, what do you think, do you have any recommendations for managed hosting on dedicated servers in Singapore?

Also, my host says the website is on a dedicated server, with another website of ours www.joelizzerd.com. You say there are about 10 websites on the box though, does that still class as dedicated server hosting for us? I was thinking it was just our 2 websites on the box, no other customers?

Another thing, i can start another thread if you want but kinda related. When we switched the websites over i was concerned about the google analytics being messed up in the transition. My host said he would make the cloudflare track all the pages within the website. I was a little concerned with this approach as we would like to move the hosting away from him and get it closer to Thailand, Singapore preferably. If we move the website to another host we will loose the analytics. So, i decided i would add the google tracking code to each of the pages, in the body of the page, for every page. 

After i had the code added to every page i asked the host to turn off the cloudlfare to help improve loading speeds etc which seemed to have worked. The issue i have though is the google analytics code isnt coming through from the pages, doesnt show in source code and i dont know why?

At the moment. Having cloud turned on makes the website perform slower and worse for me. Turn cloud off website speed and performance improves but i loose analytics. Any ideas?

Thanks again Danny, if you want to move this to another thread or want me to start one i can. Cheers mate.