DMS 2 Migrated site, nothing carried over

Question

Posted · Report post

Okay, I am trying to move a site to its permanent home.

Here's the temporary site.

http://imaginemediasolutions.com/mafietta/

I moved the files, database, and downloaded the JSON file from the temp site.

Aaaaaannnnnd....

I get this:

http://mafietta.com/

:: head desk ::

Help.

51 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Update - I had to completely rebuild the modules and color scheme on the new site. This is something I'd rather not have to do in the future. Is there a way that I can ensure that the JSON file will carry over?

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I can't see what your issue was, as you have fixed it. If you can explain what the problem was we may be able to help. Also when you migrated, how did you do so, did you follow this guide - http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Posted · Report post

I followed the guide perfectly like I do every time I move a site — dozens and dozens of times. I'm very experienced in moving a site, but the DMS export/import tool was practically useless. When I downloaded the JSON file, and uploaded it to the new site, none of the colors, settings, or sections loaded properly. It was a basic DMS setup with clean templates when it loaded.

I didn't fix it — I rebuilt the site page by page because the export/import didn't do anything.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I noticed this EXACT issue. I have built roughly 60 sites with DMS1 and about 9 or 10 with DMS2 and always follow the same steps when uploading and setting up on clients domain and I hit this problem a few days ago for the first time. I uploaded my json file and none of my custom css settings or templates transferred. I had the exact plugins that I always use so I know it's not that. I tried 4 times and it would not transfer over. Never had that happen before until this site. This was 5 days ago this happened. Edited by atcdomainsolutions
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

To add to that last post, my custom CSS was actually visible in the Less box but was not taking effect. My templates that I created didn't transfer over at all.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

atcdomainsolutions - yep. DMS2 has the issue. Thanks. Now I know I'm not crazy. Well, not that crazy.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I want to add more to this since I just tried it again to see if it works and it didn't carry over anything again...will explain to any Pagelines moderators who work on this:

1.  I have a site I'm building at http://atcdomainsolutions.com/applied_nw/  (Will call "Applied" from now on)

2.  Let's assume that site is complete.  My next step would be to go to the clients site and set up Wordpress.  I used another domain I own to act as the "client" site.  It's at http://football258.com  (Will call "Football" from now on)

3.  I downloaded the Wordpress export (XML) file from the Applied site and then uploaded to the Football site.  All the pages and content/images transfer over like normal.

4.  I then went through the Wordpress theme uploader area and uploaded DMS2.  It instructs me to install the Updater plugin so I can add my license.  I did this and add my license.  So far so good.

5.  I go to view the front of the site and see the standard generic DMS template that comes preinstalled.

6.  I to go "Site Settings" on the Football site, go to "Import/Export" and then hit the button to select my .json file.

7.  I find the downloaded .json file from the Applied site and I upload it. It asks "are you sure" and I hit "OK" like normal.

8.  It then thinks for a second or two, drops the modal window down that says "Settings Imported" and then what you see at http://football258.com is where it is now. It didn't carry over anything close to what you see at  http://atcdomainsolutions.com/applied_nw/.   I can even go click on "Page Setup" and none of my templates I created are there (the Applied site has around 12 templates I created).

Also, this time, none of my custom CSS is showing in the CSS Less box.

This is pretty scary since this Applied site you see at  http://atcdomainsolutions.com/applied_nw/ that I'm working on now is not even 1/3rd of the way complete.  It will be a massive site and I already have a ton of custom CSS code and will wind up with about 20 custom templates.  To have to rebuild all that will really suck..haha.

Hopefully, there is a step or something that is new with DMS 2 I am missing.  In the past, I would follow those exact steps above (minus the Pagelines Updater plugin) and the site would load and look like my demo.  I'm assuming this Updater step may be where I'm missing something?

I know you'll ask but the only plugins I have active on the Football (the "pretend" final client site for the purpose of this test) are:

Pagelines Updater

Wordpress Importer

No other plugin is active.

Thanks. Hope this helps give an idea of what is happening and expand on what the OP put since it definitely seems to be a major glitch or user error...haha.  Hopefully it's just user error on our parts and it's something simple that is different with DMS 2 since I never had this problem with the other version of DMS and I have done the same exact steps.

Edited by atcdomainsolutions
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I would have left mine alone after the failed JSON transfer if I had the time to let them look at it. I'm up against a deadline, so I can't wait. Since I have several more sites in the kitty to work on, this needs to be resolved ASAP.

Posted · Report post

I had the same issue moving one of my projects. DMS in theory is great but in execution is full of bugs, sections not adding or duplicate sections added at once or content disappearing. Saving custom sections but nothing is saved. I had to build and rebuild a site 4 times and eventually it worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

:: jumps up and down :: I'm not crazy! I'm not crazy! I'm not crazy! YAAAAAY!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I used backup buddy to migrate a DMS project and it worked great

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I used backup buddy to migrate a DMS project and it worked great

I'd love to get some step by step details from you on that.  I have been thinking of other ways to do my transfers instead of the old XML and Json way and since something is up now, I need to do it.  Shoot me a message if you can.  Need to learn another way.  

Posted · Report post

I'd love to get some step by step details from you on that.  I have been thinking of other ways to do my transfers instead of the old XML and Json way and since something is up now, I need to do it.  Shoot me a message if you can.  Need to learn another way.  

It would be better if you could post it here for all of us. :)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I would have left mine alone after the failed JSON transfer if I had the time to let them look at it. I'm up against a deadline, so I can't wait. Since I have several more sites in the kitty to work on, this needs to be resolved ASAP.

The site I mentioned initially was one where I went in (like it sounds like you did) and just rebuilt it by copying and pasting back and forth between screens from my demo site to the clients site.  Thank God it was only a 4 page site and didn't have a ton of CSS.  I copied the CSS over from the old site to the new one and it would not take effect BUT when I wiped the CSS Less box out and started adding it in one by one, it worked...so strange.  

That Applied example I sent the big write up on...NO WAY I would rebuild all of that.  It's nowhere near being close to done and will be about 60 pages with 20+ custom templates.  That would suck big time to have to redo manually!  Haha

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I'll post details shortly driving now

Posted · Report post

Here's how I was able to migrate a DMS site without issues
Step 1. I bought backup buddy plugin.

Step2. Install and run complete site backup

Step 3 . Install backup buddy migrate in new location and upload backup from step 2

Step 4. Run script by going to the backup buddy migration tool in a browser and follow directions when finished your site should be an exact copy of the original.

Please find below the migration manual

http://ithemes.com/codex/page/BackupBuddy:_Manual_Migration

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Here's how I was able to migrate a DMS site without issues
Step 1. I bought backup buddy plugin.
Step2. Install and run complete site backup
Step 3 . Install backup buddy migrate in new location and upload backup from step 2
Step 4. Run script by going to the backup buddy migration tool in a browser and follow directions when finished your site should be an exact copy of the original.
Please find below the migration manual http://ithemes.com/codex/page/BackupBuddy:_Manual_Migration

Thanks. Will look into this!

Posted · Report post

In the meantime, would be great to get feedback as I don't want to dish out money to buy a plugin to perform a function that was completely working until now. I'm really just hoping it's a simple step that is now necessary with DMS2.

Posted · Report post

I understand your feelings about more expense just sharing what worked for me. I'm worried about my DMS site as a finished project, I hope all the issues I'm experiencing in the build done carry over after we go live ( that's another reason I bought the back up plugin) taking a nightly backup of the site just in case.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I understand your feelings about more expense just sharing what worked for me. I'm worried about my DMS site as a finished project, I hope all the issues I'm experiencing in the build done carry over after we go live ( that's another reason I bought the back up plugin) taking a nightly backup of the site just in case.

Oh I have no problem purchasing plugins and things for business. I spent a lot last year...nice write off.

I noticed it was $80 for two sites. Does that mean you can only have two total sites you migrate or does it mean you can only have two backups at any given time? If I backup and transfer two sites, am I no longer able to do more or does that just mean I have to remove all files for those two before using over and over again? (Man, that felt like a long ramble!! Haha)

Posted · Report post

I bought the developers pack unlimited sites , the limit is how many sites you can install the plugin on, no limit on how many backups

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted · Report post

atcdomainsolutions - Can you send me your sites JSON file and also provide a link so I can see how the site is supposed to look. I will test this on one of my test sites.

Posted · Report post

atcdomainsolutions - Can you send me your sites JSON file and also provide a link so I can see how the site is supposed to look. I will test this on one of my test sites.

Danny

Thanks!  I just added you as a friend on here.

Where do I send the file to?  What address?

Thanks.

James

Posted · Report post

I just sent you mine, Danny.

Posted · Report post

I just sent you mine, Danny.

Do you have an email address for Danny?

Thanks.