DMS 2 Replacement for old Framework Boxes

Question

Posted · Report post

I'm finding it very frustrating that every time you upgrade (Platform->Framework->DMS) it is so destructive to my site.  I'm getting close to $1000 invested in this suite and every time you update I basically have to re-design my entire site from scratch.  Luckily this is just a hobby for me, but if I was counting on this platform for my livelihood, I would be toast.  One of the worst things is lack of support for legacy features.  I used Platform boxes extensively and there seems to be no solution for that now.  I have over 100 of them and they are all just gone on my site.  The new iBoxes stink.  None of the options include "target_blank" which seems pretty basic.  When I search your CSS code it refers to legacy styling as "old crap".  You were not calling it crap when you were selling it to me for hundreds of dollars a year ago.  I understand things need to change and progress, but you need to do a better job supporting legacy features/functionality.  DMS1 was unusable, and DMS2 came just in time to stop me from going to squarespace.  #rant_over

So to get to the point, what do I use now to replace legacy boxes?

• PostPins link to the post before you can get an image to spawn a new window.
  • Media Box I can only seem to get 3 boxes per row with the 3 column option.  I tried to look at the responsive grid doc, but its very lacking and just says what the syntax is, but not how and where to apply it.
  • iBox makes my image round and doesn't allow me to target a new window.
  • Masonic gallery also does not have target attribute...

I feel like I've lost major functionality.  How do I resolve?

Thanks,

J.D.

9 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

Firstly, I will forward your comments over to the Management team to review for you. Obviously with each new product there will be changes based on demand, useability and the result of client feedback on the previous edition. Each of the releases mentioned Platform, Framework, DMS are not so much updates but different products, so depending on the coding behind them and the amount of time between updating there will be more/less issues, depending on how far the products moved on and how much the code behind it has changed since you last upgraded. The core team try to minimize problems as much as possible, but sometimes in order to include new technology or the latest features, things have to be reworked completely.

• PostPins link to the post before you can get an image to spawn a new window.

I'm not sure I'm following on this part, you mean the it links to the post thread before the image has opened? Or you'd like the image to open in a new window instead of the post?

• Media Box I can only seem to get 3 boxes per row with the 3 column option.  I tried to look at the responsive grid doc, but its very lacking and just says what the syntax is, but not how and where to apply it.

In DMS you can set the width of an item by using the controls at the top of the section. See this screencast I've made which shows this in effect to fit more iboxes into a given area. http://screencast.com/t/Kns8ft9xj

• iBox makes my image round and doesn't allow me to target a new window.

A third party developer has created a section called better iboxes which allows a number of additional features, including target new window and image effects. You can check out this section here - http://www.pagelines.com/shop/sections/better-iboxes/. Css can also be used to remove the circle image by changing the border-radius to 0.

.ibox .ibox-media .ibox-icon-border {
    border-radius: 0;}
  • Masonic gallery also does not have target attribute...

This section is designed to be used with posts of custom post types, so it has been designed to naturally link to the post. I would imagine an option for opening in a new window hasn't been included in this purely for ease of use and to prevent multiple windows opening for every image in the gallery.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

"This section is designed to be used with posts of custom post types, so it has been designed to naturally link to the post. I would imagine an option for opening in a new window hasn't been included in this purely for ease of use and to prevent multiple windows opening for every image in the gallery"

Also, because it is considered bad practise to open new windows for smartphones.... so should be something you want to avoid

Posted · Report post

james well pujt.

I hear you guys. We're working on it and getting better, we think we have a way to prevent upgrading from being an issue going forward. 

Generally, we're working on a video tutorial series which should help with all this stuff. 

Posted · Report post

First of all, let me thank you all for the prompt responses.  The community has always been one of the best aspects of the platform.

james, thank you for the video on Media Boxes.  I had no idea you could do that.  I thought it was one media box per column and that I was limited to three columns  (Another example of the documentation being woefully lacking).  When Pagelines designs the documentation, you need to assume that the reader is new to the product and has limited CSS skills.  The promise of the platform was ease of use and that it was designed for designers, not programmers. RE: Better Boxes, thanks again for the tip on implementing the border-radius fix.  Again, something that should be in the documentation or an option in the menu since round images is very stylistically specific and not the general norm, though trendy at the minute.  Also, if the iboxes were good or mirrored the functionality of the previous Boxes, a $20 "Better iBoxes" plugin would not be necessary.  Plugins should be exciting new functionality, not fixes for broken core features.

@GetMe thanks for the feedback.  I'm not sure I agree that new windows is an issue on phones, but appreciate the feedback.  I prefer to launch a new window when I link to external sites.  I use it primarily for amazon associate links.  When the visitor is done buying the item, they can close the window and go back to where they were on my site.

arpowers Andrew, thanks for taking the time to comment.  I've been with Pagelines since iBlog, before there was a framework, platform, dms, or dms2 (San Diego Pagelines).  It's a big investment for me as a hobby, but I believe in the vision.  I'm having fun and learning CSS but the iteration has been challenging and I'm not trying to make a living on the platform.  I see you guys as artists and programmers, but feel you sometimes lose sight of the real world experience for your users who come from many backgrounds and skill sets.   Videos would be great, but just some decent written documentation would be even better.  So many of the posts to the forum are for basic CSS help adjusting core features that you could easily give guidance on.  Again, documentation needs serious work.  Are you aware that neither the Pagelines site nor the forum have a link directly to the limited documentation that exists?  Its like a puzzle.

Posted · Report post

jdbrasesco - I hear you on the docs, I am on it! Also, do you have another forum account, your username rings a bell, but you only have 2 posts ?

Posted · Report post

Thanks Danny.  My account got all jacked up with the move to DMS and following Pagelines breach.  They got my account setup again but all my history and prior posts are gone.  I think my original forum account was under brasesco instead of jdbrasesco.  I was pretty active on the old platform but went dark with DMS because it just didn't work for me.  My experience with DMS2 is much improved.

Posted · Report post

I can merge the two accounts if you like

Posted · Report post

Simon_P Sure, Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Done