DMS 2 Pagelines Pro menu item appears, but Pagelines says "Not Activated"

Question

Posted · Report post

I have DMS 2 installed, Wordpress 3.9, running in multisite mode.

My admin menu has a Pagelines menu item. Clicking on that item shows a setting: 

Your PageLines Account Activate Your Account
Site Not Activated

Yet there's also a PageLines Pro menu item which takes me to Pageline Pro Plugin Settings.

Clicking on Activate Your Account (which appears to be a link) does nothing.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned about the "Site Not Activated" message?

Thanks,

Stever

26 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Further info: when attempting to add a section to the page, there's a little informational message that says: Add your key now to activate this site and get updates for your PageLines themes and plugins.

I click on "Add Your key Now" and get a screen with nothing but the error message: You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

The URL showing in the status bar is: http://www.steverrobbins.com/test1/wp-admin/index.php?page=pagelines_updater

Posted · Report post

Hi there Stever

Could you create an admin logon for your site and send the credentials to hello @ PageLines dot com and i will jump on and take a look for you.

Please include a link to the forum topic 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi, Martin,

Oh! The user should be designated as admin on the sub site where I'm using DMS2 as the theme ( /test1/wp-admin) sub site, but not the network Super Admin role. I've given you Super Admin.

Cheers,

Stever
Edited by Stever

Posted · Report post

Can you provide screenshots of what you're referring to please, as when I view my Multisite test network, I am not seeing what you're describing.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny,

I'm not sure where you saw me mention a "multisite test network." I don't know what that would be.

I am running a multisite Wordpress blog ("Wordpress MU"). With a multisite blog, logging into the "Network admin" dashboard where themes are maintained requires "Super Admin" privileges. You can go to the network dashboard at: http://www.steverrobbins.com/wp-admin/network/

Logging in to the admin dashboard of a subsite on the multisite blog requires normal "Administrator" privileges. I have a sub-site called "test1" on which you're designated as an administrator. The "test1" sub site is the one that uses DMS2 as the theme. You can get straight to the test1 admin dashboard at: http://SteverRobbins.com/test1/wp-admin/

Your username is designated as an administrator on the "test1" sub site, and a "super admin" for the network, so you can access  the Network admin dashboard.

Screenshots of each dashboard would be attached but the forum says "Uploading not allowed." Instead I've uploaded them to BOX.COM and here are the links:

Network dashboard: https://app.box.com/s/r8mxkp2ckk0s163rjwyt

Test1 sub-site dashboard: https://app.box.com/s/0l8dn4rcu4yg68zg7s22

Posted · Report post

So... In private email, you guys referred me to your forums for answers. You exclaimed your joyous intention to help me be a satisfied customer, so long as I post the problem to the forums, where a glorious community of active, engaged, and committed people would help me make sure I can use your software to do great things in the world.

The reality has different substantially from your vision.

I've posted this problem twice in the forums, set up a special super-admin user for you to have unprecedented access to my blog, and both times have heard absolutely nothing from you by way of actual support. I'm getting very close to asking for a refund.

Posted · Report post

In your first post  you mentioned multisite mode, I assume this is multisite network.

In regards to this question:

My admin menu has a Pagelines menu item. Clicking on that item shows a setting: 

Your PageLines Account Activate Your Account
Site Not Activated

Go to WordPress Admin Dashboard > Dashboard > PageLines Licenses and enter your license key, which you can get from your PageLines Account - http://pagelines.com/my-account/

Once you enter your license key, you the message regarding activating your site and receiving updates will disappear. This should answer your question, if you have any other questions, not related to this question, please create a new topic.

We also apologise for the delay in response, your topic somehow seems to have got not been added to our moderation que.

Posted · Report post

Hi, Danny,

I don't see any "PageLines Licenses" menu item. 

I went to "Dashboard" on my TEST1 sub site, which is the site that is actively using DMS 2 as its theme. I clicked the "Pagelines" tab, but there is nowhere on that screen to enter my license information. (Screenshot #1 below).

When I go to my "Network Admin" admin screen Dashboard, there is no Pagelines item available at all. (Screenshot #2)

Where can I find this menu item?

Thanks,

Stever

SCREENSHOTS

These are links to BOX.COM, because the forum will not let me upload files. You must click on the link and it will display a lightbox. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to link directly to the images.

Screenshot of my "test1" subsite dashboard Pagelines Admin page (URL http://www.steverrobbins.com/test1/wp-admin/admin.php?page=PageLines-Admin):

https://app.box.com/s/wq9g6f4moxe4b0d3s8w8

Screenshot of my "Network Admin" dashboard (not even a Pagelines tab at URL http://www.steverrobbins.com/wp-admin/network/):

https://app.box.com/s/2bo8ww8khjguj9pqqqz3

Posted · Report post

1. you had an extremly old version of the updater installed ( i deleted it for you )

2. the plugin was network activated AND activated on the test subsite, not sure how thats even possible

I tried to upload the latest version but got some php error from jetpack, something about a missing markdown library.. 

I'll attach the updater to this post so you can upload it manually.

[attachment=2160:plugin-pagelines-updater.zip]

Posted · Report post

Hi, Simon. 

Yeah, that weird Markdown error seems to be a bug in the current version of Jetpack. If you have Markdown composing enabled (which I do), you have to disable it before uploading new plugins will install correctly. I'll try to install the updater and see what happens. 

Posted · Report post

1) I uploaded the Pagelines Updater

2) I cilcked Network Activate

3) it took me to a page that said: You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page. The URL showing in the adders bar was: http://www.steverrobbins.com/wp-admin/network/index.php?page=pagelines_updater

4) returning to the PlugIns Page shows Pagelines Updater as activated.

I still can't find a place to enter my license information, however. What do I do now? I am still showing as "Site not activated" (in the test1 subsite, the Pagelines pane of the admin screen: http://www.steverrobbins.com/test1/wp-admin/admin.php?page=PageLines-Admin)

Posted · Report post

we have ( excuse the pun ) multiple multisite installs and all of them show the license menu it should be under network admin at top left, like this: https://cloudup.com/cdocQNs-VcL

you do have a ton of plugins installed, im wondering if theres something wrong with the roles. the menu item should show up for user with manage_options role which on a network is the super admin 

Posted · Report post

Simon, this is very strange.

I want to get the capability manager up and running so I can check the manage_options role.  I can't get the Capability Manager Enhanced plugin to work—it installs, but the "Capability Manager" item doesn't show up in the admin menu under USERS, so I can't check the role assignments. I'm pretty sure I used it successfully just a week or two ago, before the recent upgrade to WP 3.9 to create the Super Admin user for your use in diagnosing the problem.

Likewise, the PageLines Licenses option isn't showing up under the admin Dashboard menu. 

I'm wondering if the problem is at least partially something broken in the admin interface. I have a ton of plugins installed, but only a few activated. Many are remnants from when I had someone else managing the site and they used various plugins in various sub sites. I have never had the time to go through and determine which are safe to delete entirely, but my understanding is that a deactivated plugin shouldn't add any overhead to the site (nor should it affect the operation in any way).

Jeez. I have no idea how to proceed on this. I'm wondering if my installation isn't corrupted somehow. (It's a 10 year old site, with sub sites that are the result of merging in multiple sites that used to be standalone sites, so although everything was done using documented interfaces and mechanisms, it's probably got a decade of legacy stuff hanging around in various forms.)

Posted · Report post

Sounds like user permissions are broken then..

The one ive used is 'user role editor' it has a free version and has a reset button, might help you

Posted · Report post

I am heading out for the day but I will continue the investigation later.

Posted · Report post

Simon, you're right. I installed User Role Editor and my Administrator role was, indeed, missing manage_options. I've fixed that, but "Pagelines Licenses" *still* isn't showing up. I'm starting to fear that my configuration is corrupted in some unpleasant way. With 10+ years worth of data in it, though, I have no idea how to clean it out without risking corrupting things even further.

Posted · Report post

When you say 10+ years of data are you referring to your pages, posts etc... If so you can export them using WordPress built-in import/export - http://codex.wordpress.org/Tools_Export_Screen

This will allow you to export all your page/posts etc.. to a file, which you can export at a later date. I would recommend backing up your site as a precaution, export all posts and then contact your host and ask them if its possible for them to install a fresh copy of WordPress for you.

Please remember to back up, before proceeding.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny. I am my own sysadmin, so installing new WP is doable.

The last time I tried an import export, it changed all my post numbers. I don't recall if that is the plugin I used however. Since post-ids are part of the permalinks in parts of my site, that caused all kinds of stuff to break. Have they figured out a way to preserve post ids on import:export?

(Since then I've used custom permalinks in new sub sites, but some of my post-id'd articles have high search engine placement and I don't want to ruin that.)

Posted · Report post

Not sure what else we can do, there is definitely something not right with your WordPress installation. Can you try doing the following for us.

* Disable all active plugins except for DMS Pro Tools

* Enable DMS Debug mode - DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Then reply here when you have done so and provide a link to the site in question.

Posted · Report post

Danny -- happy to take those actions. One concern: This site is a live site.

If I disable plugins totally, network wide, the site will fail in a number of ways, and I don't want to leave the site broken for longer than necessary. I'd want to coordinate timing so as soon as I disable everything, you can jump right in. Is there any good way to do that coordination? I'm in the Eastern time zone. Is it possible for us to Skype, or arrange a specific time to do the debugging?

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, I work under GMT (London). However, I will speak to one of my colleagues so we can try and co-ordinate with you so your site has minimal downtime.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think we differ by 5 hours, so we could do something before noon my time, which would be in your afternoon. Let me know. My Skype address is "stever777" (Skype address for coordinating a time)

Edited by Stever

Posted · Report post

Hello @stever 

If you are available now could you respond to this topic or email us at hello @ PageLines dot com and we can try to help. 

Posted · Report post

You only need to deactivate one at a time to see if one of them is buggering up your user roles. If it STILL wont work, i can only suggest hacking the updater code to force it to show the menu, if you are the only user on the site.