Photo

Child Theme for PlatformPro and updates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 theterribletwos

theterribletwos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:15 AM

I'm trying to figure out how to preserve changes that I made to PlatformPro Base if I update from 1.01 to 1.05. I am quite new to this and began making some changes to the Custom Code Section. I changed font size, color, etc. by using CSS code. What exactly do the updates change? I'm assuming they don't change alterations I made to the standard "settings" available under PlatformPro. For instance, if I made a change to the layout size or changed/added widgets, those changes will be preserved if they are only made in PlatformPro Base. Is that correct? I'm just trying to figure out how to properly use Platform Child and to avoid losing changes I made when updating in Platform without really knowing what I needed to change in Platform Child to preserve those changes. Does that make sense? Thanks!

#2 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

Hey Graham, If you have the child theme working well, don't upgrade. It's just used to make things easier to customize...the code in it is your own website platform...

#3 theterribletwos

theterribletwos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:25 AM

Okay, so to clarify, I've been working exclusively on PlatformPro. I have not installed PlatformPro Base. I guess, what I am concerned about is that I edited the CSS in the Custom Code section of PlatformPro. If I update the PlatformPro from 1.01 to 1.05, will those changes (changes to CSS through the Custom Code Section) be overwritten? I hope I'm making sense, I've just started tinkering with wordpress, so I could be using terminology wrong, etc.

#4 theterribletwos

theterribletwos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:26 AM

Oh, one more thing. This is kind of random, but when I log into the forum through Pagelines, is there anyway to "track" or determine if a topic I posted has been responded to? I have to search a bit to find my topics.

#5 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:20 AM

Have you added customization to your child theme? Re: tracking posts. Use the RSS feed, bbPress is not particularly good at this.

#6 theterribletwos

theterribletwos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:05 AM

Hey Andrew, sorry but I don't think I'm following you. Maybe I don't know what a "child theme" is. When I first purchased PlatformPro, there were two files to download: PlatformPro and PlatformPro Base (I believe that is the child theme). I installed and began using the PlatformPro. I did not install the PlatformPro Base, which I think is the "child theme" associated with PlatformPro. I have made edits in the "Custom Code" section of the PlatformPro template layout on the Wordpress dashboard. What I want to know is if those CSS changes will be lost if I update PlatformPro from 1.01 to 1.05.

With respect to "tracking posts," I was referring to tracking topic posts in this support forum that we are talking in right now. I have a bunch of topics out there, but I don't know if anyone has responded to my inquires. Or maybe you were answering that and I am dense.

Thanks again!

#7 theterribletwos

theterribletwos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:09 AM

I figured out the "track posts" issue.

#8 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:59 AM

Were there other issues, or is this one resolved? Thanks, Bryan

#9 theterribletwos

theterribletwos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

Hey Bryan, thanks for jumping in. The most important issue is still outstanding, and forgive me if I'm mucking up the issue with my ignorance of wordpress and platform. The problem is as follows: When I first purchased PlatformPro, there were two files to download: PlatformPro and PlatformPro Base (I believe that is the child theme). I installed and began using the PlatformPro. I did not install the PlatformPro Base, which I think is the "child theme" associated with PlatformPro. I have made edits in the "Custom Code" section of the PlatformPro template layout on the Wordpress dashboard. What I want to know is if those CSS changes will be lost if I update PlatformPro from 1.01 to 1.05. Does that make sense? I just don't want to lose any changes I've made.

#10 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

You won't lose anything you've put into the options... this is saved as an option in the database :)

#11 theterribletwos

theterribletwos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:47 AM

Okay, cool. Thanks so much!