Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Platform Pro Forum template sidebar.

Question

Posted · Report post

So when I go to www.gradiduncut.com/forums/ I do not seem to see any sidebar that is relevant to the forum. How can I set it up to look exactly like the one used in the demo page. (http://www.pagelines.com/demos/platformpro/forum/): Where: 1. The "add new topics" is lined up over the sidebar. 2. There is a log in and log out button 3. The topics in the sidebar relates to the forum. Thank you Jules

42 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I think it's because there isn't anything yet. Try creating some forums, topics, tags, categories etc. and then see if it populates. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

That last `<?php }` in there needs to have a space or line break between the final p and the }

Posted · Report post

So that did not do it or I did not get what you suggested This is what The script looks like now with no result

<?php
	/*

Section: Tertiary Sidebar
		Author: Andrew Powers
		Description: The main widgetized sidebar
		Version: 1.0.0

*/

class TertiarySidebar extends PageLinesSection {

function __construct( $registered_settings = array() ) {

$name = __('Tertiary Sidebar', 'pagelines');
			$id = 'sidebar_tertiary';

$settings = array(
				'description' 	=> 'A tertiary widgetized sidebar for the theme that can be used in standard sidebar templates.',
				'workswith' 	=> array('sidebar1', 'sidebar2', 'sidebar_wrap'),
				'folder' 		=> 'sidebars',
				'init_file' 	=> 'section.sb_tertiary.php',
				'icon'			=> CORE_IMAGES . '/admin/sidebar.png'
			);

parent:GDN__construct($name, $id, $settings);
	   }

function section_persistent() {
			$setup = pagelines_standard_sidebar($this->name, $this->settings['description']);
			register_sidebar($setup);
		}

function section_template() {
		 	 pagelines_draw_sidebar($this->id, $this->name, 'template.dwidgets');?>

<form action="" method="post" id="forums-search-form" class="dir-form">
				<h3><?php if ( is_user_logged_in() ) : ?>  <?php _e( 'Create New Topic', 'buddypress' ) ?><?php endif; ?></h3>

</form>
		<?php
		}
	}

/*
		End of section class
	*/[/code]

Posted · Report post

On that same note, how do you re-move or at least change the graphic at the bottom of the forum that says "Pagelines". I would like to advertise on the forum as well. Is this possible? Also I signed up to be an affiliate and I was wondering how long it usually takes to be approved?

Posted · Report post

Hey Jules, The forum you're seeing in the demo is the bbPress plugin that comes with the developer version. You're using the BuddyPress support in the theme; which is basically a graphical support for the template pack... ' As we've gone further with BuddyPress; it seems that there are several bugs with that software itself... so it's a work in progress getting this to be both "professional" and easy.

Posted · Report post

Well would you have instructions on how to get it up and running using the bbPress like you guys did? Because I would love to get it up and running just like your demo anytime soon.

Posted · Report post

The sidebar you are looking for is part of the bbPress add-on, which is independent of BuddyPress. I believe you have the forums enabled via BuddyPress right now, correct? This would give you a different styling as these are "group forums" and don't require extra theme support. Does that make sense. but you can do with CSS, would you like help with that? Start by placing the correct widgets there.

Posted · Report post

Forwarding for developer help. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

Hey Cmunnns. Yes The forum is indeed enabled with BuddyPress which was very straight forward to set up. Are you saying that even though you guys used bbpress for your forum. I could still obtain the same look using CSS for BuddyPress? If that is the case absolutely would love a bit of help with that please. There are three things I would like to incorporate in my theme like you guys did if possible: 1. The "Add New Topic" button of the Sidebar. 2. The Forum "Search" box Part of the Sidebar 3. The "Log in/Register" hyperlink above the forum. Now if all these are easier to achieve using BBpress. I would start again with bbpress in a hearbeat and your help on that would be most welcomed and wanted. Thank you

Posted · Report post

Here is what I have for the section template function and down and it works for me ` function section_template() { ?> <?php if(bp_is_group_forum()):?>

<?php if ( is_user_logged_in() ) : ?> <?php _e( 'Create New Topic', 'buddypress' ) ?><?php endif; ?>

<?php endif;?> <?php pagelines_draw_sidebar($this->id, $this->name, 'template.dwidgets');?> <?php } } /* End of section class */ `

Posted · Report post

I was misunderstanding I thought you wanted it like the sidebar on this forum not the platform demo forum. There are instructions in the docs on how to integrate bbPress.

Posted · Report post

Nevermind I figured out the sidebar for the forum, however I would still like to know the turn around time for the affiliate signup. Thanks for humoring me on the question.

Posted · Report post

This is probably an issue with the `exec php` plugin. I'm guessing it doesn't like the `<?php` at the very first (just a guess) Why aren't you using the child theme to add php?

Posted · Report post

No luck for me. Oh well Ill wait a bit and try out the bbpress version to see how that works.

Posted · Report post

yes your right i removed the plugin. and now it shows up but at the bottom. How can i get it to the top?

Posted · Report post

Did anyone still need help, please refresh us of your current situation. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

K I am going to clarify. I want it indeed like the one on the platform demo (which seems just like the one on this forum from an aesthetic stand point). So I want to know how to achieve this step by step please. And please point me to the relevant hyperlink. It seems to me that in your "Docs & Fac" section (http://www.pagelines.com/docs/) you have a section on the left hand side called "bbPress/Forum" (http://www.pagelines.com/docs/category/bbpressforum) but in my mind this seems to be for other themes but platform Pro. What I have followed to far are the content situated in the "PlatformPro" Side bar content (http://www.pagelines.com/docs/category/platformpro). If there are any other relevant details could you put it into the PlatformPro tab also (http://www.pagelines.com/docs/category/platformpro)?

Posted · Report post

Hi Bryan. Yes I do still need help. I Created a subdomain. http://test.gradiduncut.com with a fresh install of wordpress 3.0.1 and put in the platform pro plugin followed by buddypress and bp_template pack Went to the BP compatibility and went through with that just fine. Then went to the BP tab and installed the forum and that went well. Then created a group and a new Forum to "Propagate" it. And even though having done all this I still dont get the nice sidebar that you guys have in your demo page (http://www.pagelines.com/demos/platformpro/forum/) Please take a look at mine and tell me what is different or what I am missing (http://test.gradiduncut.com/forums/) Also on the same note I would like to know how you got the register and log in hyperlink above the forum. Thank you

Posted · Report post

Thanks Jules, be sure to update us at that time. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

try putting the HTML form that was added before this line `pagelines_draw_sidebar($this->id, $this->name, 'template.dwidgets');?>`

Posted · Report post

You will need to execute PHP in your sidebar. So you can edit files or get the PHPexec plugin and use a widget but this code will give you a add new topic button `

<?php if ( is_user_logged_in() ) : ?> <?php _e( 'Create New Topic', 'buddypress' ) ?><?php endif; ?>

` Then we can go from there.

Posted · Report post

K so I have given it a go and Unfortunatly that did not work as expected. Could you copy me more code that shows what it should be like:

<?php
	/*

Section: Tertiary Sidebar
		Author: Andrew Powers
		Description: The main widgetized sidebar
		Version: 1.0.0

*/

class TertiarySidebar extends PageLinesSection {

function __construct( $registered_settings = array() ) {

$name = __('Tertiary Sidebar', 'pagelines');
			$id = 'sidebar_tertiary';

$settings = array(
				'description' 	=> 'A tertiary widgetized sidebar for the theme that can be used in standard sidebar templates.',
				'workswith' 	=> array('sidebar1', 'sidebar2', 'sidebar_wrap'),
				'folder' 		=> 'sidebars',
				'init_file' 	=> 'section.sb_tertiary.php',
				'icon'			=> CORE_IMAGES . '/admin/sidebar.png'
			);

parent:GDN__construct($name, $id, $settings);
	   }

function section_persistent() {
			$setup = pagelines_standard_sidebar($this->name, $this->settings['description']);
			register_sidebar($setup);
		}

function section_template() {

<form action="" method="post" id="forums-search-form" class="dir-form">
				<h3><?php if ( is_user_logged_in() ) : ?>  <?php _e( 'Create New Topic', 'buddypress' ) ?><?php endif; ?></h3>  </form>

pagelines_draw_sidebar($this->id, $this->name, 'template.dwidgets');?>

<?php
		}

}

/*
		End of section class
	*/[/code]

Posted · Report post

Correction - I meant the platform pro Theme.