Font Awesome Icons showing empty boxes

Question

Posted · Report post

I have installed the DMS2 theme but the font awesome icons does not appear but showing rectangular empty boxes. I tried hard to figure it out, I found in /wp-content/uploads/pagelines/editor-draft.css  , the font awesome path starts with ///websitecsm/.... and if change it to //dev2.socrato.com/websitecms it works. When ever I modify something from admin, it replaces the css file again and I lose my font awesome icons . Please help. 

I have attached a ss.

34 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

The issue is how you have set up your site, the URLs for your scripts/stylesheets are all like this:

href='/websitecms/wp-content/uploads/pagelines/compiled-css-core-1397373659.css'

Where as on my test site with WordPress installed in a subdirectory like you have they look like this:

href='http://wpdir.dev/test/wp-content/uploads/pagelines/compiled-css-core-1397389995.css'

See how mine contains http://, where as yours doesn't. So how have you have added your site url as Simon suggested above? The issue is most definitely caused by how you have setup your site.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

First and forth most, please refrain from creating multiple topics regarding the same issue - http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/33961-font-awesome-icons-showing-blank-boxes/

Even if this is two different accounts, the private URL field contains the same web site URL. Also, never edit the core files, this is not recommended and voids all support.

If your file path is set to that, then its likely an issue with how your Wordpress is setup. How did you install it and is it installed in a sub directory ?

What I would suggest is for you to flush your LESS/CSS and see if this resolves your issue. Go to DMS Toolbar > Settings > Reset and hit the Flush button and see if this resolves your issue. If it doesn't please provide a link to your site and make sure DMS Debug mode is active (DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced).

Posted · Report post

I tried cache flush no luck, my wordpress is installed in a sub directory    /public_html/websitecms/wp-content/themes/dms 

How can I fix this issue then? 

I am working on http://dev2.socrato.com/

Posted · Report post

can u please check this issue on the above url?

Posted · Report post

As requested by Danny - please enable debug

Site Settings > advanced  and let us know when you have done this 

Posted · Report post

my debug mode is already enabled

Posted · Report post

Your css urls are all 404. You have your site_urls wrong in wordrpess.

Posted · Report post

<link rel='stylesheet' id='pagelines-less-core-css' href='/websitecms/wp-content/uploads/pagelines/compiled-css-core-1397242321.css' type='text/css' media='all' /> <link rel='stylesheetid='pagelines-less-sections-csshref='/websitecms/wp-content/uploads/pagelines/compiled-css-sections-1397242321.csstype='text/cssmedia='all' />  

Please check the source of home page, css files are correct

Posted · Report post

My /public_html/websitecms/wp-content/uploads/pagelines/editor-draft.css

'PageLinesFont';src:url('///websitecms/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.eot?v=4.0.3');src:url('///websitecms/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.eot?#iefix&v=4.0.3') format('embedded-opentype'),url('///websitecms/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff?v=4.0.3') format('woff'),url('///websitecms/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=4.0.3') format('truetype'),url('///websitecms/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.svg?v=4.0.3#fontawesomeregular') format('svg');

Posted · Report post

Thanks Danny I got it fixed,

I changed the path in admin settings, but now I have to fix the path every time I move the site from staging to production.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for letting us know 

Posted · Report post

Welcome

Posted · Report post

Fiskaz if you read the actual error:

HTTP Error 404.3 - Not Found
The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map.

The PC is configured wrong, you need to add a mime type. Best to contact the person who set it up.

Apologies for the thread hijack..

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi Simon,

Could you please help me where i can get MIME map and how can i add handler?

Edited by Fiskaz

Posted · Report post

Thanks SImon for help i will try it and let you know.

Posted · Report post

Hi pagelines,

I have this same problem of the standard pagelines icons not showing properly when I moved to DMS 2

http://www.ewizz.co.za/roles/ride-electric/

Any ideas.

Thanks Andy

Posted · Report post

you can use icon in replace of fa if you want.

Apologies again to the original post author for unrelated replies.

Posted · Report post

I just spent 40 minutes troubleshooting this trying to use the solution Danny posted, when in the end it was simply that the wrong icons are listed in the Pagelines documentation.  Thanks to Batman for pointing this out earlier. The solution by Danny should be updated and the online DMS documentation should be updated as well. Thanks

The working icon names are here:

http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/

The wrong non-working icon names are here:

http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/font-awesome

Posted · Report post

Which one isnt working?

(Apologies again to the original post author for unrelated replies.)

Posted · Report post

Sorry. I was experiencing the 'white box' problem the original post was discussing.  So, I tried to solve it by figuring out what Danny meant about URLs. Then I realized that the reason I was getting the white boxes is because the documentation uses what is apparently old font-awesome icon names. The ones listed on the documentation page result in a white box, the ones on the font awesome page seem to work. 

Thanks

Posted · Report post

Which ones are you referring to ?