• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Shima

Shima

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:08 AM

Hello,

I'm having a very annoying situation, frequently some section content is disappearing while editing.

Canvas areas that were already finished simply does not show anymore after some page refresh or change.

I couldn't find any pattern, but it happened with a canvas area in the middle of the page, one that was in the footer, and even with a saved section, that I was able to add to a few pages and then disappeared from all of them (I didn't unlock any oft these sections and I didn't change the saved section either).

Sometimes the entire canvas area is not in the page anymore, sometimes it's there but without content.

What can be wrong?

This is very frustrating since I'm loosing all the work I've done.

I'm using WP 3.8.2 and DMS Pro 2.0

PS: I can't open a thread in the Pro forum even with a valid license.

Thanks,

Alexandre

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hi Alexandre,

Can you make sure that in DMS Pro Tools, you have section cache unchecked, this option isn't for all hosting environments and is experimental. Also, disable all active plugins and see if this resolves your issue.

If that doesn't, then please provide a link to your site and enable DMS debug mode, which you can find under DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

#3 Shima

Shima

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hello Danny,

The cache was already unchecked.

The published site remains with the all sections OK, but in the editor they are gone.

I have upgraded DMS to 2.0.3 yesterday, if the problem continues I'll update this thread.

Thanks!
Alexandre

#4 Shima

Shima

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hello Danny

The problem just happened again.

In the page bellow I have configured a Canvas Area with a ProPricing inside (is not there anymore because of this problem):

http://dev.zooming.c...tro-de-dominio/

Then I saved the section with the name "Preço dos Domínios".

I added this section to a couple of pages, and everything was fine, until the section content is gone.

The section content was fine in the published site until I enabled the debug mode. After that and a page refresh the section content was gone too in the published site.

Can you help me?

Thanks,

Alexandre

#5 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

So you saved the section as a custom section first? When you noticed it had vanished from the layout was it still available as a saved section in the DMS control panel > add to page > custom or had it vanished from there as well? Wondering if its an issue with the custom section being saved.

#6 Shima

Shima

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

Yes in this case I had saved it first, and added it to a few other pages dragging from the sections list.

One time I had also added a section to the footer area and it has gone too.

In this case I was editing one page, and after publishing and reloading the editor I realized that this saved section content was blank again.
Checking the published site I could see that the content was still there, in all pages.

But after publishing again it was blank in the site too.

It looks like the section content was lost during the reload, and then saved blank during the next publish/reload, affecting all pages with this section.

I was not editing this section when it become blank, I was editing other parts of the page.

I'm working in the site for about a week and this happened at least 5 times until now, so it's not so hard do reproduce, but I couldn't find a pattern yet.

I publish/reload the editor a lot, I work with the editor in Chrome and with the site in Firefox on another monitor, refreshing the page to see the result.

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

Your debug information is show two problems with your server configuration, which will need to be addressed before we can proceed to diagnose your issue, as they could well be causing your issue.

The two items that need addressing on your are:

PHP Open basedir restriction - Yes! This can cause issues if it is not setup correctly - /var/www/vhosts/dev.zooming.com.br/:/tmp/

PHP User - Posix functions are disabled on this host!

You will need to contact your web host provider and show them this information and get them to resolve the problem. Once they have, try and see if you encounter the issue again.

#8 Shima

Shima

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Hello Danny,

I'm the sys admin for this server.

The open_basedir is restricting access only to the /tmp and to the site's root folder (and their subdirectories), I don't see the reason why should I allow access to another directories.

Can you elaborate about the need for DMS to access other directories than these two?

About the posix functions, I have some of them disabled in PHP:
posix_kill , posix_mkfifo , posix_setuid, posix_setpgid , posix_setsid

Can you also elaborate about the need for these functions?

These two restrictions are there for security reasons.

Also both are configured this way by Plesk Control Panel and by the security package Atomic Secured Linux, respectively.

I'm asking this information because both settings are related to the server security, and that it's something that I shouldn't take lightly

I couldn't find anything in the error_log file that point to problems with these two configurations, but if you send me more information I'll be able to dig a little more.

The only error I'm seeing in the error_log file is this one bellow, that is happening a few times per day:

[Sat Apr 12 19:13:32 2014] [warn] [client 69.171.230.118] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning:  Illegal string offset 'clone' in /var/www/vhosts/dev.zooming.com.br/httpdocs/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/editor/editor.handler.php on line 357

But "Illegal string offset" does not seems to me like an access problem that I imagine I would have because of these restrictions.
Anyway, with more information I'll be able to understand it better.

Thanks,

Alexandre

#9 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

The posix functions were just a way of us finding out the PHP user, to see if the user is using a cheap a$$ host using mod_php ;) Not so with your server, so disregard. Its only the debug page that actually uses that function check

As for basedir if you read the notice: 'Yes! This can cause issues if it is not setup correctly', yes a lot of the time it is setup incorrectly, again in your case, nothing wrong here.

The 'Illegal string offset' warning is something we have seen here on the forums, as yet none of us have been able to replicate locally, but we think it might be thrown if the user is trying to edit a page that has been deleted, or has no content.

Often if there is content disappearing during a page refresh, it is because the variables passed by AJAX are broken somehow. Again, very hard for us to replicate.

Could be database caching, PHP opcode caching, browser caching, anti virus, some chrome extension, etc etc. Unless we get access to the site in question and actually witness the error its extremely hard to fix.

#10 cemico

cemico

Advanced Member

• Members

• 62 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

I second that problem.

I also posted this issue:

http://forum.pagelin...losing-content/

@Simon_P

Where do i find the debug output so that i can dig for misconfigurations of my server?

#11 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

@cemico - You can find DMS debug mode here - DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Once enabled, please provide a link to your site having the problem.

#12 Shima

Shima

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

I'm still having this problem and everything is updated (Wordpress, DMS).

I couldn't find anything in the server logs besides the message about "Illegal string offset 'clone'" above.

But it looks like the problem is really related to the browser as Simon_P said, sometimes the section content come clear after a page reload, probably because of some ajax timeout or something like that, and then you save the blank section on publication replacing the previous content.

If that's the problem I think that there is at least an error handler missing on this Ajax DMS function return.

#13 cemico

cemico

Advanced Member

• Members

• 62 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

@awshimagmailcom

I wasted a ton of hours now for debugging this behaviour and of of my thoughts was exactly yours: It could be an AJAX timeout or maybe tiMING problem.

But i really can't reproduce this error. After having the issue, i did exactly the same procedure again. But then it worked.

What i really don't understand is that the DMS system is now out for years, and only a hand full of people is having this issue and/or posting it into the forums.

I cant believe, that the staff und testers never did have this issue when content disappeared...

I sent my login credentials to the support so they can log into my page. Maybe they can find anything.

I'll post here is the issue is solved and what caused it.

The worst thing is, that i have a live client site out there since yesterday and the backend credentials for editing the site were given to the client. He/she's panicking if he/she's editing and loosing the content and much work he/she invested... as happened just today ;(

#14 Shima

Shima

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:18 AM

@Simon_P,

I think that there is a way to reproduce the problem, at least it's happening every time to me now.

I have some canvas areas with pro pricing modules inside, and I have them inserted in the footer area.

I don't want to show some of them in some pages, so I've added the excluded pages' IDs in the "Hide on specific pages or posts? (IDs Comma Separated)" field of the canvas area.

If I go to some of these pages I can see the canvas area hidden, with the text "Canvas Area is hidden or returned no output" inside.

If I publish this page, puff, the hidden canvas area content is gone.

I hope that this example can help you to track and fix this issue.

Thanks,
Alexandre

#15 Shima

Shima

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:35 AM

Just completing the last message, that is ONE way to reproduce the problem, I have content missing on other canvas areas that are not configured with page IDs in the hide on specific pages field.

#16 cemico

cemico

Advanced Member

• Members

• 62 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

I had also a way to reproduce the loosing content issue:
http://screencast.com/t/ixiXUBkjL9xS

But that's only one way. I got new content loss, without moving elements to the footer or header area...

#17 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

@awshimagmailcom - Can you upgrade to the latest version of DMS (perform a backup before proceeding). Also, would it be possible for you to record your issue please in the latest version of DMS.

@cemico - In your Jing video above, what version of DMS is that ? As that is not DMS 2.x?

#18 roryorr

roryorr

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:23 AM

Hi guys,

I have the latest version of DMS and am having serious issues with sections disappearing, and the theme not responding to publishing as I have the original home page I created open in its own tab just in case, but for some reason everything has been overridden with the default DMS header and footer and many content sections disappeared. An entire section with media boxes has disappeared, and also disappeared from my saved sections. Also header and footer has reset themselves back to DMS default, map section has disappeared, navigation and header I had published also gone. I had about 7 saved custom sections which have all disappeared from my sections also. 

Freaking as I hope a lot of hours of work has not been wasted, what do I do??

#19 roryorr

roryorr

• Members

• 29 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

Have tried deactivating all plugins but problem persists. I see as lot of threads regarding disappearing content, hoping you guys have made a fix?

#20 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

@roryorr - I have replied to another topic you replied to, in future can you create your topic.

Please reply to the other topic and provide the information I requested please.