Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Viewer Theme DMS2: Viewer still an appropriate child theme?

Question

Posted · Report post

DMS2 has introduced a lot of great capabilities and features.

Viewer provides its own set of features, mostly meant to complement DMS1.

With DMS2, how much overlap and redundancy does the Viewer theme have?

Does still make sense to use it at a child theme? Are there even some potential conflicts?

Is there now a better starter theme for DMS2?

Btw, I wish all developers of sections, plugins, and themes for DMS1 would make a statement about the compatibility and fit with DMS2.

Thanks!

1 person likes this

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Is no answer the answer?

Viewer is no longer maintained anymore by @pagelines?

Posted · Report post

Not sure what you're trying to say.

Using a Child theme is and always will be the best method for creating your own theme, this hasn't changed in DMS 2. Why would DMS 2.x cause potential conflicts ?

What features does Viewer provide that compliment DMS 1.x but not DMS 2.x, not sure what you mean ?

If you want a super simple start theme, you can use the one I created, its the most basic of child themes. It contains no functions or styles.

https://github.com/Dannyholt/Skeleton

Posted · Report post

Danny,

Yes, I understand the utility of using a child theme. I used Viewer for a couple of installs.

When Viewer was introduced by @pagelines, it was meant to be used with DMS1. "Viewer is our best theme yet", according to pagelines. It came with a number of additional sections.

• Video & Photo Gallery
  • Full-Width Quotes Section
  • Featured Shelf
  • Custom Post Type SuperGrid
  • Social Bar with 20+ Icons
  • Flexible List Area
  • ShoutBox

Since Viewer has been a "house theme" of pagelines, I was wondering if some of it's add-on capabilities have now been built into DMS2 itself.

For example: has Viewer's Featured Shelf functionality been incorporated/improved in DMS2 as the PopShot section? How's the new SocialLinks compared to Viewer's Social Bar?

Which sections are better (for DMS2)?

I could just try all of them out and figure out the similarities/differences myself. However, since DMS2 and Viewer are both published by pagelines, I was hoping that someone already looked at these questions.

Posted · Report post

As far as I am aware, those section are now included with DMS 2.x and have been slightly improved upon. However, they're essentially the same section.

Posted · Report post

That helps, Danny.

In other words, if I use Viewer with DMS2, I'm dealing with several duplicate/redundant sections.

I'm better off using a barebones child theme, as you suggested.

Maybe the Viewer theme should be marked appropriately (for DMS1).

Posted · Report post

No not really, because the ones that come bundled with the theme have been designed for that theme, meaning they have specific styling. So they're not redundant per se, but you're free to use whatever sections you like.