DMS 2 Parallax Scrolling Issue After Upgrade

Question

Posted · Report post

HI there,

First play with DMS 2 and I wanted to upgrade our sister company, flamingpaper.co.uk. Most things went well and after some tweeking the website is back online. If you visit the website you will see the section at the top (where the main video is) is a parallax background. Scrolling down you'll see the top of the image get repeated as you scroll past it. I know this used to be a problem with DMS as well but I was using the following CSS to fix it:

/* correct-paralax */
.correct-background-parallax .pl-area-wrap {
  background-attachment: fixed;
}

After the upgrade, however, that no longer seems to work.

Can anyone suggest to me how I could go about solving this problem. The main issue is when it happens further on down the page so I have had to set these as static backgrounds for the time being. 

All the best,

Steve

8 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

could we have a screen shot of your settings for the header please?

Posted · Report post

Is anything happening with this? It's still not resolved?

Posted · Report post

As far as I can tell there is no issue, the problem is your image simply isn't large enough. The reason as to why the image is being repeated is because the area that the image has been placed in, is larger than the image itself, so it has to repeat itself. Use a larger image one that has a height greater than the area you're adding it to and this will resolve your issue.

For example, the section that houses that image has a height of 1042px yet the image only has a height of 714px, so you see the image has to be repeated to fill the void. If you used an image that has a height of 1800px then there will be no issue.

Posted · Report post

Why was this not a problem in DMS1 then?

Posted · Report post

Danny

I think the issue with parallax is that DMS isn't doing the basic background fixed image and scaling on mobile/smaller screens.  That's what users are wanting....The parallax DMS has implemented requires crazy large photos for the "basic" option to work correctly.  

Posted · Report post

Actually, my issue is that what was working perfectly in DMS1 is not working perfectly in DMS2, even though we were promised it would be a seamless upgrade. It hasn't been and it's left me wondering if this thing, that I pay $30 a month for is really the best option for my business.

It's a simple issue yet there is no fix for it (even a hack would be welcomed) and no explanation as to why it's been altered since DMS1 or if anything is going to be done about it.

I'm pretty angry to be waiting since April 1st for a reply only for that reply to be "it's not our fault". Well, I'm sorry. It IS your fault. YOU changed the system and it broke my website.

Posted · Report post

Not sure what both of you're referring to, I have just used your same image in both DMS 1.1.1 and DMS 2.1.1 and I get exactly the same result. In order for Parallax to work, you need to use an image that is larger than the area you're placing it so it has room to do the parallax effect. If the images height is less than the area it is being placed into, then the image will be repeated.

DMS 1.1.1 - http://quick.as/9Q84Hq5p

DMS 2.1.1 - http://quick.as/7b8YfxVw

DMS 2.1.1 without the video so the height of the area is less than the height of the image = no issue - http://quick.as/jbz9fy8D

crunchnet - What version of DMS 1.x were you using and how did it look, can you provide a screenshot or video, as I am not sure how this would have worked in DMS 1.x ?

Also, if you want to remove the cover value for the property background-size, you can use the following CSS:

#pl_areauxli82.pl-bg-cover {
background-size: auto;
-webkit-background-size: auto;
}

This will use the default value of the browser. However, your image is still too small even for this to work and will repeated both left, right and bottom.