DMS 2 How to create full width, responsive slide show?

Question

Posted · Report post

I've tried setting up the "rev slider" on my home page in DMS 2.0. It is apparently not responsive as one would expect and images crop in various ways beyond designer control when viewed on screens such as iPhones, tablets, etc. Since this feature is really prominent in ads for DMS one would expect it would be responsive without cropping the images, yet it is not? Changing image dimensions does not solve the issues. Since DMS should be able to build these slide shows without custom coding please tell me how to use DMS to build a responsive slide show with full width images that won't crop the images randomly. None of the available configurations of settings worked for me. This was true in 4 browsers, and on other devices. I will be adding text to images since the rev slider options for text are abysmally limited... so random cropping is a big issue. Even if the images had no text when I design an image I expect it to display fully according to my design. Thanks for replying with clear instructions. The URL is only a test URL, http://lotusclient.com. I won't be migrating my client's sites to DMS until I'm convinced it can work as promised.

8 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Could you let us know the image dimensions that you have tried? 

Posted · Report post

I've been trying resolutions that are roughly double the size of the DMS template image sizes needed since we need retina display graphics quality. I've tried various dimensions. I can get an image, for example in the slide show I'm working with, to display partially as designed but the images are cropping randomly on various displays (like iPads, smart phones). The Pagelines Framework images used to resize without cropping, and were fully responsive. In other words, Framework resized according to the screen display width available without cropping, a fully responsive solution.

In DMS the images are not resizing correctly for various display screen sizes, thus the cropping issues occur. In Pagelines "features" overlaid text on the image, but this is not available in DMS, leading to the need to add the needed text to each image in PhotoShop before adding the image to the DMS slider. So each slide in client's Pagelines Framework sites already built would need to be edited in PhotoShop before they can be used as slides if I migrate those sites to the DMS theme. This eats my time needlessly. If the images would display as I've designed them in PhotoShop I could handle that. (There is little control over typography and type placement in the slider within DMS, which requires I do the edits in PhotoShop as I said above.) But doing the designs in Photoshop is useless if the images will be cropped randomly by DMS anyway. It's a catch 22. 

As a designer I need the theme I use to keep my designs intact, not to alter them randomly. I see many posts from other designers who are also frustrated for these reasons. You can see the issue by visiting http://lotusclient.com. FYI I work on a new MacBook Pro using all the latest OS, etc. and keep my software up to date. If you can provide a solution this would be great. Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Good answer :) 

Posted · Report post

Last I checked one can add text but with limited typography and design (placement) options. Have the design options expanded?

Posted · Report post

Not entirely sure what you're referring too, all sections in DMS are responsive. However, things like the RevSlider images use the CSS property background-size and value cover. This is the description for the cover value on W3 Schools.

Scale the background image to be as large as possible so that the background area is completely covered by the background image. Some parts of the background image may not be in view within the background positioning area.

So I am not sure what your issue is and there is no RevSlider on the site you linked in your original post.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks for trying to help. To clarify... The site lotusclient.com is changing daily since it's a test site, so you may have viewed it at a time when the slider was taken off the page since this topic has been open many days. The template supplied with DMS named "Feature Template" was loaded on the page. The template includes a "RevSlider". I was trying to set that up.

Your answer quoted below seems to confirm what I've been saying, "Some parts of the background image may not be in view within the background positioning area.". 

I think I've found the correct answer myself through simple testing, which is that there is no way to set this up so images will not be cropped randomly. DMS will crop no matter what I use for settings. This is evidenced on pagelines.com. Viewing page lines.com's own DMS demo reveals that the Pagelines RevSlider images crop on various device screen sizes. "Responsive" in Pagelines Framework used to keep design elements intact, although the layout might shift on a smart phone, for example. This is no longer the case with DMS. The correct answer is that DMS is not responsive in a manner that will keep the design of the site intact. Your images will be cropped.

Thanks to all who tried to help. In the future I hope this topic thread saves others time and frustration.

Not entirely sure what you're referring too, all sections in DMS are responsive. However, things like the RevSlider images use the CSS property background-size and value cover. This is the description for the cover value on W3 Schools.

Scale the background image to be as large as possible so that the background area is completely covered by the background image. Some parts of the background image may not be in view within the background positioning area.

So I am not sure what your issue is and there is no RevSlider on the site you linked in your original post.

Posted · Report post

lotussocial - thank you for the update and i am sure this will help others :)