DMS 2 Front-end custom less/CSS doesn't work in DMS2

Question

Posted · Report post

I'm having a lot of problems with the custom less/css.

In practice I've added the code but now I cann't delete it or change it more. For example if I try to refresh the page all comes back to the starting point. If I click Ctrl+Return nothing happens. I've tried several times to empty the browser cache but the problem persists.

Also if I try to change css in the back-end through DMS LESS Fallback the problem persists.

Someone is having the same problems?

61 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

mtsurgery"] @[member="nokow. Are the pages, that you have the problem on, static front pages or front pages when you are using them for your latest posts? 

Posted · Report post

To answer your question, the problem I continue to have with CSS updates is an isolated issue and ONLY exist on the static front page of the main site or the HOME page. I am developing a website not a blog site, so I have designated the main starting page as a "static page" (under Dashboard--->Settings--->Reading).  The CSS is not responding to this page only.  On the contrary, any and all subsequent pages (not posts) work fine without any CSS issues.  Something changed with the back-end coding with the DMS 2 update as this problem did not exist previously.  I hope this answers your question.

MT

Posted · Report post

mtsurgery. Have you tried creating a duplicate "front page" of the one you have, then making that the static page? It is important, with this CSS issue, to make sure you stipulate a template when creating the page in wp admin, because whenever i didnt I saw a repeat of the legacy CSS problem I thought I had got rid of.

If the "new" static page has correct CSS, then delete the old and change the permalink of the duplicate to that of your original static front page. Fingers crossed that might solve the problem

Posted · Report post

Okay after playing around with this for a few days trying to get CSS to save properly here's what I've noticed. 

Whatever page you have setup to be your post page (for blog/news content), it will potentially have the issue of the CSS not saving properly. So if you go to the Dashboard, Settings, Reading and you have the first option selected to Latest post, this would be your post page. Even if you don't have post content on that page, WP still designates it to be your post page! If you select the Static Pages options in which you designate a Front page and separate Post page, whatever you designate as the Post page will end up potentially having the issue.

I have been able to save custom CSS on the Post page but at some point it will fail (I'll get to that in a minute). I have had less success saving custom CSS on a single post page. As MTSurgery stated if you save the CSS on any other page other than the post page it will usually save for the whole site. 

As I stated I have been able to successfully save custom CSS on the Post Page until I switch to Legacy Mode on the WP Content/Loop and WP Post/Loop settings in the DMS interface.  Once I do that then all h#%* breaks loose on saving the custom CSS. If I turn Legacy Mode back off then I still have the saving issue even though legacy has been turned off. 

Here's my temporary fix/work around. If you go to Site Settings in DMS, Resets, click RESET CURRENT POST TYPE SETTINGS, and then publish the changes now I'm able to save the CSS settings just fine on any of the pages. Although sometimes saving the custom CSS on a single post page breaks it again. For this reason I try to remember to save the custom CSS on any other page than the Post page as stated above.

I hope I'm explaining this well enough so you understand it and hopefully this will help with developing a fix!

Posted · Report post

BTW I tried creating and assigning templates to all my pages and that didn't solve my problems. 

Posted · Report post

markwphoto. That makes sense. I now only add custom CSS/LESS under Pagelines in the wp admin (DMS Fallbacks), and save. That way it seems to set globally. I know it is a few extra clicks (jumping back to wpadmin and then back to DMS mode*) but avoids the nightmare I and others have experienced and in trying to change it when make changes if your front page is your 'latest posts'

Assigning templates... it worked for me in removing on all other pages the "Parse error CSS" which was being inherited from the bad on the 'latest posts' front page.

Not sure you should do this, but I often keep wp admin open if making CSS/Less changes, as well as, the DMS editor. I refresh first the wpadmin and then the DMS editor and that can avoid the clicking back and forth. Cant be good practise though?

Posted · Report post

Not sure you should do this, but I often keep wp admin open if making CSS/Less changes, as well as, the DMS editor. I refresh first the wpadmin and then the DMS editor and that can avoid the clicking back and forth. Cant be good practise though?

GetMeWebDesign. That's pretty much what I've been doing as well. It gets a little annoying have to jump back and forth between multiple pages that are open but at least  it's somewhat of a work around.

Posted · Report post

Experience the same... and notice that it only happens on LESS entered on special pages like the blog page, and single-post page. The static pages are fine.

Posted · Report post

Can someone provide a small snippet of css that fails everytime and and the same page every time.

Reading this post some people it works for static pages others for the blogroll page, we need to find a pattern.

Posted · Report post

Simon_P I think for many it is a bit of CSS parse error, whether that is an accidental mistake or some error caused by "Refresh" or "Publish". That was what did it for me, with an unclosed comment (sure I didnt paste it in unclosed!)

How I have read this.... all relates to special post pages like Blog roll, whether you are using it for your front page as 'latest posts' or have a static front page and blog page. The advice has to be... post you CSS changes (for the time being) in the WP admin > Pagelines > DMS Fallbacks > Custom CSS/LESS, until the cause is discovered

And painful as it seems, the only sure way to clean up Parse errors etc that have occurred on those special post pages, is to Site Settings > Resets > Reset Current Post Type Settings and clear any cache

Posted · Report post

Okay..

Have this on my static pages:

=============

body {}

=============

Have this on my Post pages:

=============

.pl-sharebar-pad .txt {
opacity: .6;
}

.post h1.entry-title {
  display: none;
}
==============

Have this on my BLOG page:
==============
#feedburner_email_widget_sbef_email {
  margin-bottom: -2px;
}

#textboxu996jy .pl-area-wrap {
  background-position: 50% 50%;
}

.tekst p {
  line-height:1.5em;
}

#site .zmt h2.tablepress-table-name {
  margin-top:0;
}

#site .section-modal-popup-dms .pl-section-pad {
  padding:0 !important;
}

.ngf-indeling .column-1 {
  width:140px;
  text-align:left;
}

.ngf-indeling .column-2 {
  width:110px;
}

.ngf-indeling .column-3 {
  width:70px;
}
.ngf-indeling .column-4 {
  width:50px;
}

.ngf-indeling .column-5 {
  width:50px;
}

.ngf-indeling .column-6 {
  width:250px;
  font-weight: bold;
}

.ngf-indeling .column-7 {
  text-align:right;
}

.ngf-indeling .column-8 {
}

.masthead {
margin-bottom: 0px;
}
@media (max-width: 767px) {
  .ibox.top-aligned .ibox-media {
    max-width: 160px;
  }

}

div.ibox-link a {
  display: none;
}

.ibox .ibox-desc {
  margin-bottom: 0;
}

.ibox-media.img a span:hover {
.opacity(70) !important;
}

.pl-hero-wrap .pl-hero h1 {
  margin-top:0;
font-size: 50px;
}
.pl-hero-wrap .pl-hero p {
font-size: 15px;
}

h2.icallout-text {
  margin-bottom:10px;
}

.lidworden h2.icallout-head {
  font-size: 28px;
}

#herouyd4t4 .pl-hero h1.m-bottom {
  font-size: 65px;
}
#herouyd4t4 .pl-hero p {
  font-size: 32px;
}

.tp-bannertimer {
  z-index: 20;
}

.panel  {

color:#FFF;
  background-color: #ef4027;
background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top,#f04831,#ee3319);
background-image: -ms-linear-gradient(top,#f04831,#ee3319);
background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear,0 0,0 100%,from(#f04831),to(#ee3319));
background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(top,#f04831,#ee3319);
background-image: -o-linear-gradient(top,#f04831,#ee3319);
background-image: linear-gradient(top,#f04831,#ee3319);
background-repeat: repeat-x;
filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#f04831',endColorstr='#ee3319',GradientType=0);
border-color: #ee3319 #ee3319 #ae200d;
border-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.1) rgba(0,0,0,0.1) rgba(0,0,0,0.25);
filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(enabled=false);
  padding:20px;
}

#propricingumapzk {
  margin-top: 14px;
}

#mastheadunyper h1 small {
font-size:34px;
}

.pl-hero-wrap .pl-hero h1 {
margin-top: 0;
font-size: 55px;
}

.pl-hero-wrap .pl-hero p {
font-size: 18px;
}

.noframe .pl-imageframe img, img.pl-imageframe {
padding: 0 30px 0 0;
background: transparent;
border: 0;
-webkit-box-sizing: border-box;
-moz-box-sizing: border-box;
-ms-box-sizing: border-box;
box-sizing: border-box;
-webkit-box-shadow: none;
-moz-box-shadow: none;
box-shadow: none;
-webkit-border-radius:0;
-moz-border-radius:0;
border-radius: 0;
}

.drag-drop-editing .pl-section.section-plcolumn {
  outline: 1px dashed #fab4c0;
}

#widgetizeruvmztd a img {
padding-top: 20px;
}

body.blog .article-wrap.meta-mode-author .wrp {
margin-bottom:40px;
  .border-radius(10px);
}

body.blog .article-wrap.meta-mode-author .wrp .hentry-pad {
  background:#f0f0f0;
  .border-radius(10px);
  padding:3%;

}

body.blog .article-wrap.meta-mode-author .wrp .hentry-pad .post-excerpt {
  font-size:140%;
  padding:0 5px;
}

body.blog .article-wrap.meta-mode-author .wrp .hentry-pad a.continue_reading_link {
  font-size:130%;
  float:right;
}
body.blog .article-wrap.meta-mode-author .wrp .hentry-pad .post-meta .post-title-section h2.entry-title {
  font-size:45px;
  padding:0 5px;
  text-align: center;
}
.mgsPinsheet h2.tablepress-table-name {
margin: 0 0 .6em;
}

#widgetizerubiba4  .widget h2.widgettitle {
  font-size:18px;
  padding: 0 8px 3px 0px;

}

#widgetizerubiba4  a.rsswidget img {
  margin-top:-3px;
}
#widgetizerubiba4 ul ul {
padding-left:11px;
}
#widgetizerubiba4 ul li a.rsswidget {
  font-size:15px;
  font-weight:bold;
}
#widgetizerubiba4 ul li .rssSummary {
  font-size:14px;
}

#widgetizerubiba4 ul li {
    margin-top:1em;
}

.mgs-boxed {
  border: 1px solid #dddddd;
  .border-radius(10px);
  background-color: #f2f2f2;
  padding:15px 10px 0px;
}

==================

Posted · Report post

BTW the code on the static pages work as expected.

The code on the two other page types I can't change or remove.

Moved all my custom less to the Pagelines-Customize plugin... 

Posted · Report post

BTW the code on the static pages work as expected.

The code on the two other page types I can't change or remove.

Moved all my custom less to the Pagelines-Customize plugin... 

So let me get this right, that huge block of css is on every page right? and you can edit it on a static page, but all single posts and all archive pages the changes are not saving?

Posted · Report post

It is more delicate Simon.

No the huge block is on the BLOG page and is persistent on my BLOG page (can't change it, can't delete it)

The smaller block is on the Post page and is persistent on my Post page (can't change it, can't delete it)

I can publish it, and then it will be on all my pages except the Post pages.

I can then remove it on a static page and it will be removed on all static pages (but not on the BLOG page and the Post page)

Posted · Report post

It is more delicate Simon.

No the huge block is on the BLOG page and is persistent on my BLOG page (can't change it, can't delete it)

The smaller block is on the Post page and is persistent on my Post page (can't change it, can't delete it)

I can publish it, and then it will be on all my pages except the Post pages.

I can then remove it on a static page and it will be removed on all static pages (but not on the BLOG page and the Post page)

That's consistent with what I've experienced although I don't have a big block of CSS. I can get the css on the Blog and Post page to delete if I RESET CURRENT POST TYPE SETTINGS. From there if I want to save the CSS, I save it either in the Fallback or any page other than the Blog and Post Pages. Once you start saving the CSS while on the Blog Page or Post Page it eventually has the potential to break again. I've also noticed if you switch Legacy mode on for the WP Post/Content Loop it will break the saving of the CSS even if you turn Legacy Mode back off. The only way to fix it is to again  RESET CURRENT POST TYPE SETTINGS and save your Custom CSS from Fallback or any other pages than the Blog or Post Pages. 

Posted · Report post

were you using pageless plugin?

Posted · Report post

were you using pageless plugin?

For myself I was not. I disabled almost all of my plugins when I upgraded to help troubleshoot the problems.

Posted · Report post

ok, i'll rephrase that.. were you ever using the plugin pageLESS?

Posted · Report post

ok, i'll rephrase that.. were you ever using the plugin pageLESS?

Not that I recall. I think I may have installed and had it enabled it with DMS1 but I never used it.

Posted · Report post

well it inserts custom_less as a setting on post/page level..

by default dms only ever saves css as a super global option, never ever on a page or post level, there is just no way that data can get into the post_meta settings...

but that plugin saves its data there... thats why you cant remove it. Can you try reinstalling that plugin and seeing if you can remve the css from that page/post/type then?

Posted · Report post

Simon_P And for those that never installed or used that plugin? While DMS may not be able to access the settings, the option is there on the page and the page (for latest posts/blog roll) is given a template name...Posts Page. Could all of this be caused by DMS trying to save CSS where it shouldn't (can't)?

Posted · Report post

i dont know how it got there..

Posted · Report post

well it inserts custom_less as a setting on post/page level..

by default dms only ever saves css as a super global option, never ever on a page or post level, there is just no way that data can get into the post_meta settings...

but that plugin saves its data there... thats why you cant remove it. Can you try reinstalling that plugin and seeing if you can remve the css from that page/post/type then?

I'll try that when I get home tonight.

Posted · Report post

I am glad that we have developers and admins on this discussion.  It seems that we are on the right track and I'm sure the developers will rectify the problem soon.  Obviously, there is a problem with refreshes and updates to the CSS with regard to the static index page.  This problem never existed before DMS 2 so that is where the problem exists.

Unfortunately, last night's release of DMS 2.0.1 update did not fix the CSS issue.  I've looked and nobody so far has shown unclean CSS code.  I doubt it's a CSS code problem that is causing this error.  If that was the case then the whole CSS would never compile in the first place.  Just for the sake of discussion, I did run my CSS through a cleaner and there were no errors, but again, if there were major errors, it would never compile in Pagelines.  Someone mentioned a parsing error?  Maybe so.  I am not privey to see the backcode of Pagelines in the way the developers can but I'm sure it is a quick fix as long as we can continue pointing them in the right direction.  Will continue to follow this discussion and offer any suggestions.

MT

Posted · Report post

if somebody wants to PM me i might have a plugin that will temporarily delete the css on the page level.. 

its experimental... until we find out how the css got there i the 1st place.