wpml menu

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 156 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

Dear Pageliners, I suppose one should not get too worried about things that don't work straight away right after a big update. Most things have gone well so far and I have been enjoying some of the new features of DMS2 - and still have more to discover! But I chanced upon an annoying bug today (at least that's what I think it is, I may of course have done something wrong and caused the malfunction myself!). I finally got around to translating the site with the WPML CMS plugin, or so I thought. But WPML seems to conflict with the Wordpress Menu making process. I can create menus but they disappear into nowhere (they show up as choices in the Editors NavBar Menu section). I have attached screenshots of the Dashboard/Appearance/Menus area, with WPML CMS activated and deactivated. 

This has never been an issue before, it worked fine until the last version of the first DMS. In fact after a bug that topsy-turvied the Editor was fixed WPML worked a treat! Please have a look at this and bring it to the attention of the core developers if needs be. For now I can work, but every time I want to add something to the menu I have to deactivate WPML. There are no other plugin conflicts, I disabled all the other plugins and the problem persists. I also checked that I have the latest versions of Wordpress, DMS2 and WPML CMS. 

Thank you for looking into this. Yours faithfully, Jan.

P.S.: I have not managed to upload the files, they are too big. Can they really only be 1.24KB? I got them down to 28KB and thought that was small, in today's world... I'll try to find an external place to keep them and send you the link.

#2 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 156 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

P.P.S.: I am sorry if this is the wrong way to do it, but I uploaded two jpg screen grabs with wetransfer.com - you can download them here:

https://www.wetransf...30151440/7e3f71

#3 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 156 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

P.P.S.: I was mistaken to say that for now I can work. There is something seriously wrong - I lost my Home page in the process, the page is still there but all sections and their content are stripped from it. Thanks to a backup and the wonderful DMS ease of sliding things back in place I will be able to recreate this quickly but please, please do have a look at this WPML conflict!

#4 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

Hi @casperjan

WPML is a third party plugin and in as such all issues need to be reported to the plugin developer. 

You can find the WPML support forums here https://wpml.org/for...nglish-support/

Any issues that WPML causes when using the WordPress Menu system need to be reported to the WPML plugin developer and failing any assistance from the developer would need to be reported to the WordPress support forum https://wordpress.org/support/

The best way to share screen shots is with a free programme called jing. http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html My machine won't let me open your screenshots for some reason - i get a warning about potential hack attempt from the website they are hosted at and don't want to risk it

*edit - opened your screenshots and this is related to WordPress functionality. 

#5 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 156 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Thank you Martin, I will report this to WPML, and for future reference familiarise myself with Jing. I know it was a bit of a longshot sending a download link, I would not touch them myself, warning or not...

I hope WPML will be able to sort this out - it's an essential tool in a multilingual world!. Should there be any questions I'll get back to you - the last time round it took me several months to convince your colleagues at Pagelines that in fact there was a bug in DMS, not the plugin (relating the right-to-left misbehaviour of the Editor). In the end though that problem was solved promptly. Maybe this time it really is the plugin, although it worked perfectly until the change to DMS2. The WPML people will let me know. But if you have any pointers as to how DMS2 could differ from DMS1, that might make it easier for them to pinpoint the fault, do let me know so I can pass it on.

Thank you as ever for you efforts and patience,

Yours faithfully, Jan.

#6 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

@caspersjan 

The developers will be able to test their code against the DMS system and pinpoint any possible errors possibly quicker than we could and more likely to be able to provide a fix. 

The issue is with WordPress functionality rather than DMS functionality (WordPress menus) so likely a Wordpress issue first and foremost. 

All information regarding the DMS 2 system and moving from DMS 1.x to DMS2  can be found here http://forum.pagelin...c/33474-dms-20/

#7 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 156 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

Thank you, Martin, that is very helpful as I have no idea how things work if things don't work (the comfortable downside of Pagelines front-end pampering of Wordpress users!). I will copy your comments in my WPML support query - it shows goodwill and cooperation! I'm sure the matter will be sorted out. Yours faithfully, Jan.

#8 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hello @caspersjan 

WPML know if they need our help for anything they can just get in touch at any time. 

We just need to know what the issue is before anything can be fixed if you see what i mean. that's why we troubleshoot first with any reported problems and third party stuff is supported by the Dev so they can do the same thing.

#9 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 156 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Dear Martin, it looks to my untrained eye as if your assumption is right: Following the WPML support guidelines I checked the up-to-dateness of their plugin, possible conflicts with others and finally if the problem persists in a Wordpress default theme and indeed it seems to, unless I am really doing something very wrong. I wrote to them and am awaiting an answer (I have no idea whatsoever what timezone they operate from!). Greetings, Jan.

#10 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

Ok cool - let me know how it pans out :)

#11 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 156 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Dear Martin, of course WPML kicked the ball back into your court, writing: "We have a program here http://wpml.org/docu...global-program/ Where we work with plugin authors to work out the compatibility issues. Would you like to interest you plugin author in it? We are ready to join forces with him and work together to solve this compatibility problem."

But maybe it is all in my head or rather on in my installation after all. If I could trouble you for some advice: I upgraded another site to DMS2. WPML kept working as normal - but it was an older version. Hesitantly I updated - still business as usual, none of the problems I have been experiencing on the original site. I deactivated all plugins on the original site, uninstalled WPML, flushed every cache known to me (in the DMS editor, in the browser, on my entire computer), reinstalled WPML - the same problem, I'm not able to see any of the menus I have created, although I can create new ones, though not assign any pages to them. As far as I can see, the settings on both sites are all the same. The versions of DMS2 and Wordpress certainly are both exactly the same and up to date. So it is not working in one installation only but for the world I cannot see what's the difference. A veritable conundrum.

Have you any idea where there could still be a difference? Is there a secret cache I don't know about? WPML remembers its settings even if I uninstall and reinstall it. Could that be an issue? I am ready to search and try more of course. But would you have an idea where I could look or what I could try? 

Thank you for your continued help. Yours faithfully, Jan.

#12 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 156 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:59 AM

Dear Martin, problem solved! I remembered one of your colleagues telling me about debug mode when my first DMS2 update was plagued by plugin conflicts. Debug showed an error message (the same one twelve times in a row!), the jist of error message featured in a previous WPML support forum post which lead to a a "troubleshooting" section deep inside the plugin where plugin databases could be cleared. Everything worked and everything is working now. Thank you for your assistance and patience. I am much better prepared for the next problem which surely will spring up somewhere before long! Yours faithfully, Jan.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wpml, menu