• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrmiyamoto

mrmiyamoto

• Members

• 25 posts
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

I think it would be particularly handy if you could adjust the fonts (size, color, hover color, font face, line-height) in everything from the WP Content/Loop to the sliders, sidebars and nav bars from inside the DMS editor without manual CSS.

This was actually one of the features I was most surprised to find missing when I started using DMS.  Most premium Wordpress themes give you options like this, so it's particularly odd to find them missing from the module option sections throughout the DMS system.  

Pie-in-the-sky ideally I'd like to be able to adjust the height/width of things like navbars in a similar fashion, but I understand that that would be more difficult than adding font options, and I can definitely stick to manual CSS hacking for that in the foreseeable future anyways.

• zephyr11 likes this

#2 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

moved to ideas and feedback 

#3 mrmiyamoto

mrmiyamoto

• Members

• 25 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

moved to ideas and feedback 

Sorry, didn't notice the ideas forum for some reason...

#4 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

not a problem :) 

#5 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 712 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

I'd vote no on this one.  Writing the custom code for those areas is easy and it seems that just might complicate the sections and I'm not a developer but maybe the code. 

#6 mrmiyamoto

mrmiyamoto

• Members

• 25 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:41 AM

I'd vote no on this one.  Writing the custom code for those areas is easy and it seems that just might complicate the sections and I'm not a developer but maybe the code. 

The code would be as simple as the CSS it would just allow people to edit it more quickly and particularly help those who are less code-savvy out (one of the big draws of DMS' interface).

#7 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 712 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:05 AM

I suppose.  I just think having all those choices in each feature would complicate a fairly clean interface and a little CSS goes a long way in DMS.  It seems like it would be creating a lot of check boxes or drop downs in those areas.  With DMS2 I think there is a good combination of choices not to the point where they are a burden, clean design and being able to add custom or inline CSS is great.  I get what you are saying but I personally don't want the sections/components having too many options.  

Although DMS is good for the less code-savvy it's a fantastic tool for Designers with some code knowledge and Devs that can really expand on its base.  

Although maybe this is a feature that could be added with a check box in Pro Tools to turn it off if you don't want it.  

• GetMeWebDesign likes this

#8 mrmiyamoto

mrmiyamoto

• Members

• 25 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:33 AM

It wouldn't need to even be in the main options for the sections, it could have its own tab somewhere too.

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15047 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

This has come up a lot actually. However, we had a large number of options just for colors i.e. link color, hover state color, active state color and so forth in Platform Pro. The general feedback from this was that users were for the most part completely confused as to what they did and how to use them.

Therefore, when developing PageLines Framework we made the decision to not overly complicate the product with so many options, as it leads to confusing the users and a bloated product. In my honest opinion, although something like this sounds good in theory, in practice its not. For a simple Wordpress theme, then I can see the benefit, but for something as robust as DMS, taking into consideration all the sections and options currently available per section, implementing something like you suggest would bloat the product and without a shadow of a doubt, confuse the majority of users.

However, that said, we are always looking for cool ideas and with Martin moving your topic to the ideas and feedback forum, our developers will have likely seen your topic.

• GetMeWebDesign and jmad like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DMS2