templates

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 glennyboy

glennyboy

• Members

• 231 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

I think you follow @arpowers. What the template should do is set global layout and components, but the sections within a template can be individually unlocked so that you can make changes that allows for local dynamic content. If you have time to read back to the top then the current position is that a basic change to a template canvas/section (in my case just a basic background image change) then you have to create multiple templates for a series of pages that all use exactly the same layout (just to achieve a different image on each page). Same for custom post types sections etc - they need individualising within global templates.

• jdbrasesco likes this

#22 amos

amos

• Members

• 12 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:46 AM

@arpowers  if I understand that correctly, then yes.  And if I believe this was how it was working before DMS 2 was installed.  It still was glitchy/ buggy (would not always save updates properly) but the concept was correct.

#23 Skip

Skip

Advanced Member

• Members

• 85 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:16 AM

Has there been any follow to these posts?

The templates is still very confusing in DMS2.  Sure it is great to make a page the way you like and save it as a template.  Got it.  

You have other pages and you want to use a saved template so you add it to the page.  You then customize the content of that page and publish it only to find out that you just changed all your other pages.  Very bad...  

I tried making a template for almost every different page and it still gave the same problem of changing the content on one and even saving it as a template and you still end up changing all the pages.  Again, very bad...

Even after discovering how to unlock the template and refreshing the page, changing the the content and publishing the page you still get it saving to all the other pages.  A really simple fix would be nice...

I personally think that there is a simple way to make this easy to understand.  

Adjust DMS and/or make it very clear to us that you have a choice of changing all pages with the template or just the page you are working on.  

In fact it is really more choices than this on any given page.

1) create a new template

2) use a saved template  

3) save new content to page/post to all other pages & posts with the same template  

4) save new content to just the page you are working on.

Make it very easy in DMS to understand and know which option you are choosing when you publish the page.

Perhaps an update to DMS2 or quickly rolling out DMS3 with it would be extremely helpful...

Thank you for your thoughtful consideration.

Wishing you all the best of Providence.

Skip

#24 glennyboy

glennyboy

• Members

• 231 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

With you on this one @Skip. DMS templates need to allow local and global changes. 

#25 josh1178

josh1178

• Members

• 178 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:36 AM

I hope what I'm understanding here isn't true as I've just spent the last two weeks trying to create the main templates for my product pages and am depending on DMS working as I thought it did. 

Are you guys saying:

1 - There is no way to unlock a template and make custom changes to the pages sections without affecting the other pages that use the same template? This simply can't be.

OR 

2 - Once a template is unlocked, you're basically out of luck and any change you make to the template will need to be manually applied to all pages that use that template? 

I'm guessing it's number 2 that's the issue, which is a fairly important issue if you have a large site. Feeling frustrated with Pagelines...yet again.  The templates should be shells for the sections and not have anything to do with the content in the section unless you choose otherwise. 

I guess you need to be 1000% sure that the template won't change in the future if you have a site that is large with lots of pages. What if you want to A/B test your site once its live though and then make some changes? You won't be able to?

:(

#26 glennyboy

glennyboy

• Members

• 231 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

Indeed @arpowers

#27 jorgevas78

jorgevas78

• Members

• 19 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, Ca
  • Framework Version:DMS2

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

I have the same issue.

Templates have global impact. If the template is updated then all pages using the template are updated.

Local control to make changes per page. 

DMS1 had this. The only thing was that once the template was made and any changes were made to the template when updated were not applied to all the pages with the same template. You would have to go to each page and reapply the new updated template but in doing so it would reset the sections to the default settings of the now updated templates. 

I would like to have templates be global. If the template is updated then the pages using the template be updated too. Local and global settings. option to also unlock the section locally and add sections without it being added to the template. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DMS2, templates