Photo
- - - - -

How best to show blog posts on my homepage?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 lakey

lakey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

Hey, I wondered what the best ways were to display blog posts on the homepage. The blog itself lives at /blog but I'd like to turn the bit underneath the fold into a kind of magazine-style featured posts section, with extracts and images. Can I automate this? What are my options? Cheers,

#2 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

Not sure exactly what you're looking for... So you want to show recent posts on your homepage; but you don't want to use the blog itself? Maybe use a widgetized sidebar widget or plugin?

#3 wyzard

wyzard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:15 AM

Hi there.

I'm looking for the same kind of fix.

It's not so much that I want a widgetized sidebar, but rather a page that is made up of 3 columns with excerpts and images from posts.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(page is still pretty rough)

but I'd love it if this could be automated so that when new posts are added, this page is automatically updated.

Did you find any solutions Chris? Or does anyone else have any suggestions (is this even possible?!)

Have tried some featured posts plugins but am having difficulty making them work.

Look forward to any feedback/assistance!

#4 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:25 AM

Okay, I think I got it. You have your separate blog page, but of course want to headline recent posts on the homepage. There are of course already widgets for this, but maybe you want something a little better with a little more freedom. There are endless plugins/tutorials for this, so that you can get recent posts listed right in the content of a page. I'll start you off here:

If you can't seem to find a plugin that is fitted for your situation let us know. Thanks, Bryan

#5 wjordan

wjordan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hi Bryan, I'm looking for the same solution. I've looked at the plugins, however, I would like to preview to be in the content area of the page and not a widget. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Walker

#6 rockyrockyslaughtercom

rockyrockyslaughtercom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

I think I have a similar 'want' as well. Instead of "Recent Posts," however, I'd like to do something with "Featured Posts." As of now, I have the WhiteHousePro2 theme and this requires a static front page in order to get any of the Carousel, Featured Page, or Highlight Page capabilities. Is there a way to have my index page be a static Highlight or Feature template that pulls in posts from my blog page? As of now the "Blog" page is the only place that I can submit dynamic content. Thanks for the help in advance. Here is a link to my site for reference...

(I just started hacking the template about an hour ago...)

#7 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

There might be a way to get what you want if you assign your "Featured Posts" to a specific category (i.e. "Featured" category) and then have a string of those posts from that specific category show up on the index page.