DMS 2 Illegal String Offset

Question

Posted · Report post

Two identical sites set up to show to a potential client. Two fresh WP installations. Two DMS installations. Two upgrades to 2.0. Two sites malfunctioning in radically different ways.

http://lh1.muchmojo.com/ is throwing a PHP error. Warning: Illegal string offset 'clone' in /homepages/30/d314896975/htdocs/clickandbuilds/WordPress/LH1/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/editor/editor.handler.php on line 357

http://lh2.muchmojo.com/ is just as frustrating. I have been editing and editing and editing. I've tried different templates. I've uploaded images. I have clicked Publish numerous times. When I open the site in another browser or even another tab in Chrome, I don't see any changes.

2.0 looks great--- I just need it to work.

29 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

The update didn't fix it. 

From FTP, I renamed the first dms folder to dmsdelete.  Moved the second dms folder to the Themes folder.  Deleted the dmsdelete folder.  Went to the WP themes and saw I had an update.  Ran the update.  Refreshed my browser.  Tried changing my Twitter username in Social & Local and the change didn't stick/save.  Stayed the way it was before.  When I look at my folder structure on FTP, I have the /dms/dms folders again.

Posted · Report post

whats going on in this thread?

The zip file you download via the updater or from my account HAS 2 folders. The 2nd folder is the dms framework. 

I suggest you download a fresh zip delete whatever frankentheme you currently have and start again.

Posted · Report post

Regardless of the structure, my illegal string error codes went away when I installed dummy content with categories. So the first thing you need to do is go to your WordPress plug-in installer and find a plug-in that fills you up with easily removable dummy content. There are a few out there.

Posted · Report post

I figured out the problem.  I saw someone post a question asking when some child themes were going to be updated and that reminded me that I had sections from the Viewer theme (v.1.0) loaded in my child theme.  Once I deleted those sections, everything is working fine again with no php errors.  

I see the Viewer theme was updated on the Pagelines Store a few days ago so I may look at it sometime if I find I need something DMS 2 doesn't already give me.