DMS 2 Illegal String Offset

Question

Posted · Report post

Two identical sites set up to show to a potential client. Two fresh WP installations. Two DMS installations. Two upgrades to 2.0. Two sites malfunctioning in radically different ways.

http://lh1.muchmojo.com/ is throwing a PHP error. Warning: Illegal string offset 'clone' in /homepages/30/d314896975/htdocs/clickandbuilds/WordPress/LH1/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/editor/editor.handler.php on line 357

http://lh2.muchmojo.com/ is just as frustrating. I have been editing and editing and editing. I've tried different templates. I've uploaded images. I have clicked Publish numerous times. When I open the site in another browser or even another tab in Chrome, I don't see any changes.

2.0 looks great--- I just need it to work.

29 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

could you enabled debug on these sites for us please - Site Settings > advanced 

Thanks you 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Yes sir. Here is the debug on the one with the error code:

WordPress Version

WordPress Debug
Disabled

Multisite Enabled
No

Current Role
Administrator

Framework Path
/homepages/30/d314896975/htdocs/clickandbuilds/WordPress/LH2/wp-content/themes/dms/dms

Framework URI
http://lh2.muchmojo.com/wp-content/themes/dms/dms

Framework Version

PHP Version

PHP memory

Mysql version
5.1.73-log

PHP type
Cgi-fcgi

PHP User
U57152980

OS
Linux

Installed Plugins
dms-plugin-pro/dms-plugin-pro.php
pagelines-updater/pagelines-updater.php

And here is the one for the site that won't update.

WordPress Version

WordPress Debug
Disabled

Multisite Enabled
No

Current Role
Administrator

Framework Path
/homepages/30/d314896975/htdocs/clickandbuilds/WordPress/LH2/wp-content/themes/dms/dms

Framework URI
http://lh2.muchmojo.com/wp-content/themes/dms/dms

Framework Version

PHP Version

PHP memory

Mysql version
5.1.73-log

PHP type
Cgi-fcgi

PHP User
U57152980

OS
Linux

Installed Plugins
dms-plugin-pro/dms-plugin-pro.php
pagelines-updater/pagelines-updater.php

Posted · Report post

Cant see any php error on that page. maybe the page had no content or no sections or something.?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I'll add more content and see if that solves. I was in the process of populating w/ dummy content when I got distracted by the shiny, new, awesome-looking upgrade.

Posted · Report post

Glad you like it.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I really do. I just need it to work. The guy I'm showing to is big on bells and whistles. I had good templates going w/ the old version, thought I would go with the new for the demo for all the new, cool stuff.

Posted · Report post

Okay, one problem down, one to go. The Illegal string offset error doesn't happen now that I have content.

Posted · Report post

Okay, most of my changes are saving now. I'm not really sure what took me from one state to the other, but I certainly thank both of you for your assistance. 

Posted · Report post

From the information you have provided via your debug info, it appears you do not have DMS installed correctly.

See above, you have two directories called /dms/dms/

There should only be one, meaning your directory should look like this:

/wp-content/themes/dms/

At the moment, you have this:

/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/

Posted · Report post

I installed it using the package provided by DMS, which automatically creates that directory structure. If you tell WP to Add a theme and click DMS, that's how it installs.

Posted · Report post

No it doesn't, DMS does not install it itself inside two folder called DMS, I have just this moment tested this myself, my DMS was installed in the following:

/wp-content/themes/dms

I did this 4 times and every time it was the same and not once did it install itself into a second folder called dms.

Posted · Report post

I did this twice last night and it did it both times. In fact, I really couldn't do it another way if I wanted to--- My hosting co. does not allow direct FTP upload on a click and build install (These were created for testing/ demo purposes).

I installed DMS on both sites using the WP console. Then I added the Updater plugin and upgraded them both to 2.0. And this is how my directories are structured.

Posted · Report post

OK, well I just downloaded DMS from my account, then went to my testing site's Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Appearance > Themes and then uploaded the zip, it installed DMS into wp-content/themes/dms/

I also ran an upgrade and it did the same thing - wp-content/themes/dms, the only way that DMS can be installed in the structure you have is if you either used FTP and didn't install it correctly or your host has some weird configuration.

The only way to resolve the way your installation is currently structured is to remove DMS completely from your Wordpress installation and try again or use FTP. to fix the issue.

Posted · Report post

So you're saying that the package you downloaded does not have a master DMS folder and another DMS folder nested inside?

Mine, freshly downloaded last night, has a DMS folder with header.php, footer.php, functions.php---  And another DMS folder nested within that has a more complete WP setup with admin folder, etc. I double-checked to make sure this is not an error of mine--- No, it is actually in the ZIP I downloaded from my Pagelines acct.

Posted · Report post

Can you show me the contents of your zip please, as mine does not contain Master ? The contents of dms folder includes the following:

|____comments.php
|____dms
| |____admin
| |____changelog.txt
| |____comments.php
| |____editor
| |____fonts
| |____footer.php
| |____functions.php
| |____header.php
| |____images
| |____includes
| |____index.php
| |____js
| |____less
| |____screenshot.png
| |____searchform.php
| |____sections
| |____sidebar.php
| |____style.css
|____footer.php
|____functions.php
|____header.php
|____index.php
|____language
|____screenshot.png
|____searchform.php
|____sections
|____sidebar.php
|____style.css

If your zip contains the following, then everything is fine. Maybe I got confused with seeing dms/dms/ with me thinking that your dms installation was installed in a second folder called dms if that makes sense ?

Posted · Report post

Inside the Top Level DMS folder

- DMS folder 

- language folder

- sections foler

- comments.php

- functions.php

- header.php

- index.php

- screenshot.png

- searchform.php

- sidebar.php

- style.css

The inner DMS folder has the same files you posted.

And I understand you thinking that--- You're not offending me by questioning. I thought it was weird too, but this is how it sets itself up.

Posted · Report post

Will be out of pocket for a few minutes- Please don't think I got angry and walked away. 

Posted · Report post

OK, yeah this was me being confused. Basically, I assumed that you had installed dms inside a folder called dms if that makes sense.

Posted · Report post

I totally get that. When I saw the directory structure I did a double take too. So no worries. :)

Posted · Report post

I am experiencing the same error and have the same folder structure as rickm901.  Do I need to move everything from the second DMS folder to the first DMS folder?

Posted · Report post

The error code seems to have been caused by the fact that there was no content and no categories of been set up. Once I uploaded dummy content, the error code went away.

I did a fresh install over the weekend on another site and used FTP to make sure I didn't have the folder within a folder structure. Not receiving any error codes so far. The template editor is still kind of sluggish, but I think that is just always going to be that way. There's just so much going on under the hood that it will always drag a little. I think it's perfectly normal.

Posted · Report post

Did you notice that there are two different Sections folders in the zip file?  If you just install just the second DMS folder, you don't get all the sections.

Posted · Report post

I will doublecheck this is soon as I get home in front of my computer, but I believe all the sections are there once you run the update. If you install the updater plug-in, then the update will automatically install all the new sections.

Posted · Report post

I'm learning this stuff just as many of you are, so I'm not an expert but learning everyday... so here are some things I have noticed that may help... maybe?

When I look at the contents of the 2 Sections folders, the first section folder looks to contain the new sections for DMS2 and the second section folder has all the sections from DMS 1.  

The changelog.txt file in the second DMS folder has v.1.1.4 release notes.  

I wonder if DMS 1 and 2 are fighting each other!

Posted · Report post

I'll try deleting DMS again and try installing just the second folder and see if I get an update that gets me all the sections.  Pagelines needs to take that particular zip file down that's on our accounts if this is causing the issue.