DMS 2 DMS 2.0 + how to upgrade from DMS 1.1.x

Question

Posted · Report post

As you are probably aware ever since 1.1 of DMS was released we have been working hard on the next major version. For the last few months we have been testing and optimizing the code and as of tonight we are happy to make DMS 2.0 available to our loyal customers.

How to get it

If you already have a live subscription of DMS 1.x be it pro, business or developer you will already have the links to the new 2.0 version of DMS right there in your my-account area on www.pagelines.com.

Here is a link to how the grandfathering system works: http://www.pagelines.com/new-packages-and-pricing/

To upgrade using the built in WordPress updates system:

• Download the PageLines Updater Plugin from my-account.
  • Make sure to add your DMS key into the licence area.
  • After a few moments WordPress should inform you of an update.
  • BE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP

To upgrade via FTP etc:

• Download the new DMS 2.0 zip from your my-account area.
  • Unzip to your desktop.
  • BE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP
  • Put your site into maintenance mode with a plugin like this: http://wordpress.org/plugins/ultimate-maintenance-mode/
  • Using FTP navigate to your themes folder (wp-content/themes)
  • Rename dms folder to dms_1_backup
  • Create a new dms folder
  • Upload all the files from the folder you unzipped on the desktop
  • That it, WordPress should now be using the updated theme files, if everything is good delete the backup folder and disable maintenance mode.

Again PLEASE make a backup before updating a live site. Updates are not automatic. Its up to you if you want to update.

the 1.1.x branch of DMS will continue to be updated with backports from the new 2.0 code as best we can.

3 people like this

64 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

You can not export and then import your site settings/templates etc... without having to do some manual work yourself when your live site is running DMS 1.x and the new design is using DMS 2.x. I am positive I have mentioned this to in the past.

Therefore, the best solution is for you to create a local install of WordPress running DMS 2.x via MAMP/XAMPP/Vagrant etc... and then export/import your WordPress content and DMS settings/templates from dev.hoffmangraphics.com and see if there is any hiccups, which there shouldn't be. If this export/import goes as planed, then you will want to install the PageLines Updater plugin and enter your license key for your DMS 2.x product, along with the email address you used to purchase. After that, you should receive a notification of an update to DMS 2.x from your DMS 1.x install. Simply update and then proceed to import your dev DMS export file.

If no notification for an update is present, then using an FTP client, rename the DMS 1.x folder you have in wp-content/themes/ to something like old_dms. Then proceed to install DMS 2.x, import your DMS 2.x export file from your dev site and this should work as without any issues.

You can not export DMS as a child theme, that option simply exports a json file with your settings, which then prints a message to import those settings when you enable the child theme, where the JSON file has been exported to.

A child theme for me personally is the best method of developing websites, as everything from your functions, CSS/LESS and JS are all in either the style.css/style.less file or functions.php file.

The DMS export will export your DMS settings, it will export your widgets and also the DMS export does not export custom sections or sections from one child theme to another. The DMS export only exports what is mentioned in the import/export options page.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Please don't update on a live site without testing first.  You'll just make yourself angry if you've done a lot of customizations.  Always test your site on a development server or locally using something like Desktop Server or MAMP/WAMP. 

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

what is the new feautres included in this dms 2.0?

Posted · Report post

A Changelog will be released shortly with the full details. It's a major update there's quiet a lot.

Posted · Report post

I noticed that DMS and DMS 2 sites have different login's is the DMS site going to be shut down or how is this going to work.  

Posted · Report post

I will also add you have really out done yourselves ... Looks awesome ..great job.  :D

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

James Giroux I know you use DMS on a WP multisite, as do I. Are there any issues with upgrading a WP multisite?

2.0 is pretty beautiful, guys. I am just playing around a little and it's super nice. good job!

Posted · Report post

Hi there

James Giroux said

"Please don't update on a live site without testing first."

You test your site on a development server or locally here you can see how do it locally.

http://www.pagelines.com/local-development-tips-for-dms/

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The pageline dms 2.0 works perfect!!!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The DMS 2.0 works fine to me ! 

:)

Posted · Report post

Very excited to get DMS2 running on my sites. Really glad to hear some have had no install issues or upgrading either. 

I just installed the pagelines updater and entered my keys but not seeing the update in WP yet. How long should it take to appear? I'm doing it on my local server first to ensure no issues.

UPDATE: Resolved! Just took a while!

Posted · Report post

I've just ran a test locally and as soon as I had the plugin activated, I went to Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Appearance > Themes and there was an update available.

Posted · Report post

Looking forward to downloading it.  I just purchased the Developer 1 license on 2/14/14...not too long ago for a lot more than the new pricing schedule for stand alone developer. Is there a credit to apply towards the Developer Club license for the difference?  Can't wait to upgrade...please let me know.

Posted · Report post

After backing up, I deleted DMS 1 via FTP and installed DMS2 via the wordpress installer and it worked great, prompting me to install the DMS updater and landing me at the point to drop in my Key.

Posted · Report post

Aires

What do you mean the logins are different?

Posted Today, 01:03 AM

I noticed that DMS and DMS 2 sites have different login's is the DMS site going to be shut down or how is this going to work.  

Posted · Report post

Aires do you mean because you login in the Wp admin and not via the DMS control bar?

Posted · Report post

Just wanted to let the Pagelines team know that I'm really impressed with the 2.0 update. Things have really evolved. Congratulations!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Installed the Updater Plugin, inserted my DMS license key and it says Invalid License Key.  Doesn't matter which field I put the license key in.

All good now.  It was the combo (email addr / key) I was entering.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Installed the Updater Plugin, inserted my DMS license key and it says Invalid License Key.  Doesn't matter which field I put the license key in.

Is the email the same one as the one from your order?

Posted · Report post

Looks beautiful. Excited to dig in.  Great work!

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. I'm on a dev server. I renamed the old DMS and FTP'd the new one and activated it. It does not retain the settings from the old one. It sounds like I needed this "updater" but I don't see that in my account. How do I get it? And will that make it so more of the site's configuration is retained? Like I said this is on a dev server and actually just a test site. But I will need to know the correct procedure before trying this on a site that matters. Thanks for any clarifications.

PS: I was able to add my activation code in the Dashboard and THEN saw the Updater option in the DMS interface. That returned most of the look of the site. Although it left me with a fix nav at the top I need to find a way to turn off. But better.

UPDATE: it turns out the navi in box mode has a bug which is why I couldn't remove it.

Posted · Report post

Looks great and love the new options! However, quick question- any hints on the update with an existing child theme? (I've been using Nick's base theme but I know he's no longer developing for pagelines.) I'd love to be able to update but tested it out on my local set-up and styles went missing. Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Aires do you mean because you login in the Wp admin and not via the DMS control bar?

No, I wasn't aware I was on the dms 2 here live site and tried to login under shop not sure what i was thinking ..sorry for the confusion. 

Posted · Report post

Guys - can you create topics if you have problems with DMS - it's not feasible to try and respond to issues added to this topic.. Thanks :) 

Posted · Report post

My site is a mess because of this new version something is not right with the dms 2.0 when i downloaded it unzipped it and uploaded it to ftp after renaming the older version. i followed everything on the post and still its a big mess. terrible this dms 2.0 it hasn't a good way to upgrade from the older version very bad and annoying sorry! Isn't there a better way for upgrading from the older version to the new one?!

UPDATE: The reason after disabling all of my plugins I finally found that "Bad Ass Shortcodes" v.2.1 broke my site after enabling it. The creator must update it hopefully soon for the reflection to the DMS 2.0 new version.

1 person likes this