Photo

Feature Box on home page only, Carousel on other posts pages

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 conceramedia

conceramedia

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

I'm using PlatformPro and I'm sure there is a way to configure sections to do what i want, but I can't seem to figure it out. Here's what I want to do: I want the home page to show latest posts with the feature box at the top, the other menu links go to post categories where I want the carousel to display on top. Any ideas?

#2 rsutton1223

rsutton1223

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:49 AM

I need to figure this one out as well.

#3 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:57 AM

Let's get links.

It should all be possible, what have you attempted in the settings? Are you aware of:

Settings > Reading

Setting links to cats in the menu is very easy as you can manually create these from:

Appearance > Menus

Thanks, Bryan

#4 conceramedia

conceramedia

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for taking a look Bryan. I've got the menu set up to link to use links to categories and i've customized the posts pages template to use the carousel. They all display the carousel as expected. Here's what I've tried (unsuccessfully) to get the blog home page to display feature boxes: 1. Settings>Reading shows "Latest Posts" and the "Default" template is set to use the feature boxes. No go. I don't really understand what "Default" template is - my assumption was that it was the default home page. 2. Settings>Reading shows static page and blog to another page. I set the blog page to use the "Features Template". No worky. For this scenario to work as the home page, i think i would need to redirect the home page to the blog index. My next idea is to modify functions.php to add a conditional statement for a hook, "if blog home, show features box, if blog pages show carousel, if post page show nothing". I've done similar conditionals using Thesis, but I'm new to PlatformPro and a total hack at php programming - hence the plea for help. I'd love a simpler solution.

#5 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

No don't modify the template. If you go into your Platform > Settings > Template Setup you'll see that each draggable section has a toggle for "advanced setup" When you click it you'll see a check box for show or hide on the blog page. If you home page is your main blog page then this is how you would get a specific look for that page.

#6 conceramedia

conceramedia

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

The select box to "hide by default" is not available when the section is added to the "posts page" template - only when it's added to "default" or other "page" page templates. I don't see a "hide on blog page" select box. It seems to me that the "posts page" template is the only way to control the home page showing most recent posts.

#7 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:24 PM

This is what I'm talking about? Are we on the same page?

#8 conceramedia

conceramedia

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

Weird - I don't get those select for any of my sections. Here's what I see:

Posted Image

#9 gimmeputtgolf

gimmeputtgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

Scott, I'm trying a similar thing in follow-up on another post: http://www.pagelines...pic.php?id=3490

#10 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

Scott, you must have this active on the actual "posts pages" template are then correct?