Photo
- - - - -

How do I add rel=nofollow to the social media icon links in the ShareBar?

social media sharebar nofollow

Best Answer Danny , 16 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

HI,

Not why as to why you would want to do that, the rel=nofollow attribute basically tells the robots/crawlers to ignore those links, those social media links are your social networks, so your site has a relationship with them. As far as I am aware the rel=nofollow attribute should only be on the following; paid links, untrusted content, registration or login pages and/or links to individuals/companies that are competitors.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reidwalley

reidwalley

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSaramento, CA
  • Framework Version:2.3.3

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:19 AM

Hi,

I want to add rel=nofollow to the Social Media icon links in the Sharebar. All those little Social Media links show up on every Post - and I'd like to rel=nofollow them.

How do I do this? Is there something I can add to functions.php? Or something I can add to my Child Theme? - in Section > Sharebar > section.php.

Using:

- PageLines Framework, v2.4.4

- WordPress, v3.8.1

Thanks.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15694 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:56 AM   Best Answer

HI,

Not why as to why you would want to do that, the rel=nofollow attribute basically tells the robots/crawlers to ignore those links, those social media links are your social networks, so your site has a relationship with them. As far as I am aware the rel=nofollow attribute should only be on the following; paid links, untrusted content, registration or login pages and/or links to individuals/companies that are competitors.

#3 reidwalley

reidwalley

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSaramento, CA
  • Framework Version:2.3.3

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

Hi Danny,

Shoot; my apologies. I meant to ask a different question regarding the social media icons in the Sharebar: how can I make them "secure"? We're running a HTTPS site and the social media icons in the Sharebar are not set up to run over HTTPS.

You're correct about not putting NOfollow on the social media links.

I'll open a new thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: social media, sharebar, nofollow