W3 Total Cache Breaking Site

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi Support,

I was having load time problems with one of sites. From reading through some of the forums i saw that W3 total Cache was a useful plugin to install. 

Once installed there was issues with the auto minify setting. Basically the auto or manual setting wouldn't work. Anyway moving on i decided i would remove the plugin. 

On attempt to remove the plugin i was met with the following error code across both backend & front end of the site:

Warning: include(/usr/local/pem/vhosts/132112/webspace/httpdocs/wp-content/advanced-cache.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/pem/vhosts/132112/webspace/httpdocs/wp-settings.php on line 65 Warning: include(): Failed opening '/usr/local/pem/vhosts/132112/webspace/httpdocs/wp-content/advanced-cache.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in /usr/local/pem/vhosts/132112/webspace/httpdocs/wp-settings.php on line 65

The plugin is gone from the list but there still seems to be files on the .ftp server. 

Needless to say i am at a loss and was planning on showing a client the new site this afternoon. 

You can see site at http://internetcollege.ie/

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Sean

9 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Cache plugins need to be configured correctly and match your server setup and not all files can be minified, as it will likely break somethings.

A lot of users think all that is required is installing and activating the plugin and it does its magic, this isn't the case. Cache plugins need to be configured correctly, incorrectly configured cache plugins can have a detrimental effect on your sites performance or worse cause errors.

Posted · Report post

Update....

By deselecting 

Minify:  Enable 
Minification can decrease file size of HTML, CSS, JS and feeds respectively by ~10% on average.

The site seems to be back running again but i wonder what initial issue was? 

Posted · Report post

Thanks Danny! Kind of figured the same...

Constant learning curve for me! 

You can close the topic

Cheers

Posted · Report post

No problem.

Posted · Report post

HI

After the last update i can login to the WP panel but when i try to edit a page in DMS view, DMS seams loading but the page never appear. 

After some test i discover that it works again after disabling W3 Total Cache 

Could you recommand the best plugin for increasing the performance if W3 Total Cache is not the best one in conjunction with DMS and/or could you recommand the best configuration of this plugin if this is the best with DMS ?

Without nothing we really have some problem of page load time  ...

Olivier Bourgeois

Posted · Report post

HI

After the last update i can login to the WP panel but when i try to edit a page in DMS view, DMS seams loading but the page never appear. 
After some test i discover that it works again after disabling W3 Total Cache 

Could you recommand the best plugin for increasing the performance if W3 Total Cache is not the best one in conjunction with DMS and/or could you recommand the best configuration of this plugin if this is the best with DMS ?

Without nothing we really have some problem of page load time  ...

Olivier Bourgeois

DMS works perfectly fine with W3 cache. We even use it on our main site.
You just have to experiment with the settings to find the best fit for your host. It isnt a simple case of enable all the options and sit back.

Posted · Report post

Sorry Simon, your answer is not really helpfull :-(

Just saying that it work is not an appropriate answer when you have it workin fine in a production web site, and when after an update of DMS it works not anymore  ...

We know all that and that W3 Total Cache is not really simple to configure ....

The idea is perhaps to share here with your team and some users of DMS and to find the best practice with W3 and DMS...

Which option should not be used and will do that DMS will not works ...

Which option give the best results ...

Posted · Report post

I discover that DMS editor works again after i activate in the W3TC menu "Minify" - "General" : "Disable minify for logged in users"

But some plugins are not working with W3TC like "i World Maps"

Posted · Report post

You should have it configured so it does not cache/minify anything for admin users, then the editor would not be broken by it.

You only want to cache stuff for logged out end users.
1 person likes this