RevSlider Slide Text problem

Question

Posted · Report post

When I select the RevSlider right or left text location option, the text extends too far out in a straight line, rather than in a paragraph as Pagelines Box Sections do. How do I fix that?

Also when I select the Centered option, the text is positioned too high and displays right across the middle of the photo. How can I move the text so it displays across the bottom of the photo?

Thanks!

34 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

The text string inside the revslider doesn't auto format the paragraph. You'll need to add a <br> in the text to move the text down to the next line. Once you save/refresh you'll see the text spilts where you've put the <br> tag. 

You can move the text down using css to adjust. Change the figure below to it your slider

.tp-caption {
    top: 200px !important;
}

Posted · Report post

Thanks much! Looks great now!

How do I also add additional text in smaller letters below the headline text?

Could you please show me the code for say a 12 pt. text?

Posted · Report post

I'm sorry but I don't understand that link since I'm not a developer. I know I should use<br>to start a new paragraph, but could you just show me the code to use to reduce the text to 12 pt. type in this sample phrase:

<br>

Over 90% by family members and friends

Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Hi there, to write the font size into the slider you'll need to use inline html. For example

<font size="6">This is some text!</font>

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_font_size.asp

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks. I understand now.

Posted · Report post

You're welcome :-)

Posted · Report post

I guess I don't understand after all. I want to reposition the Headline text on all 5 slides - in most cases just move higher on the page so there's more room to add short subheads. I know how to select left, right or center, but please tell me how to move text higher and to the side.

And where do I insert this subhead text? There doesn't seem to be enough room in the Slide Text box after the Headline text. It cuts off the text.

On Slides 1,3,4 & 5, I just want to move the text higher and add subhead text.

On Slide 2, I want to center the Headline text in the space above Rihann's shoulder and then add subhead text.

See: americansendingabuse.org 

Posted · Report post

On slide 2 - you can control the position of the text using Custom CSS. You can pinpoint which CSS to change using your browser inspection tools.

Here is an example of what to change - the results of whcih were determined after using Firebug http://screencast.com/t/xixPIofGrySA

You will need to substitute element.style for the name of the selector you want to change.

For the Subheader you also mentioned - could you give us an example of the text you are adding that is being cut off. You can just paste the entire text in the reply if you like. 

Posted · Report post

Sorry, still confused. What do you mean by my "browser inspection tools?"

How do I access all that code shown in the screencast? Is that where I substitute element.style?

I tried to follow James' instructions above but no luck. Can you please tell me which code to use for the following at americansendingabuse.org

On the first slide, I'd like to simply publish the source of the Headline text in smaller letters:

National Center For Injury Prevention/CDC

On the second slide, I'd like to add in smaller letters centered below the Headline:

Physically abused by their husbands, boyfriends or exes

National Center For Injury Prevention/CDC (in even smaller letters as on slide 1)

(Photo: Neal Vasquez, Getty)

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

By default the text inside the slider will be one size. If you want different sizes of text inside each slide then you'll need to use the slider extra elements box inside the section options for the rev slider.

Inside the slider, you have a html box which allows you to enter the full html for you slides instead of using the section options. This is more complicated than using the section options but if you want different sized text throughout the slide text this is the best option. By using inline html you can actually select the font size for different lines of text.

<font size="12pt">My Title</font>

<font size="6pt">My Sub text!</font>

Code for the entire slide, not just the text goes in here. http://screencast.com/t/1FoHPsbHa

The code for displaying the slides can be found on the rev slider documentation at http://www.orbis-ingenieria.com/code/documentation/documentation.html#!/layout

Unfortunately we're not supposed to provide extensive custom css as its classed as site design rather than support etc. But we're here to guide you in the right direction whenever you get stuck. http://docs.pagelines.com/customize/overriding-default-css

But in general browser inspection tools are what you use to look into the css of your web page. The two main ones are chrome developer tools or firebug.

Chrome Dev Tools - https://developers.google.com/chrome-developer-tools/?csw=1

Firebug - https://getfirebug.com/faq/

These can be accessed from inside your browser by using the inspect element command when you right click.

Here's a video demo on making changes inside your site using the inspector, you would copy/paste each change back into the css panel inside your DMS install http://screencast.com/t/U6zf8V0av0

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thank you very much. I understand you can't type out all the code for me. Could you just show me the code to use to write the text on my first slide, as shown below? I think I can figure out the rest then, using your above assistance.

Family Violence is the Leading Cause of Injury to Women & Children in America! (Headline)

National Center for Injury Prevention (subhead)

I tried the following but it didn't work:

<font size="12pt">Family Violence is the Leading Cause of Injury to Women & Children in America!</font>

<font size="6pt">National Center for Injury Prevention/CDC!</font>

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Has this been resolved, as when I view your slides you have some slides with the text on the left and some with it on the right ?

Posted · Report post

For some reason the text on slide 1 is not displaying. Any ideas why? I've reloaded it several times in the Slide Text box, just as I did with the other slides. Since entering code in the Slide Extra Elements box as you suggested above - which I must not have entered correctly - the headline text is not appearing. I've deleted that text, too. I can't figure out what's wrong.

Otherwise I guess it is resolved. I will ask a friend who knows code to provide me with what I need for the slides.

Posted · Report post

Can you provide the code you have used please for your first slide, if the text isn't appearing its likely the cause.

Posted · Report post

The incorrect code that I typed in the Slide Extra Elements Box and since deleted was:

<font size="12pt">Family Violence is the Leading Cause of Injury to Women & Children in America!</font>

<font size="6pt">National Center for Injury Prevention/CDC!</font>

Below is the text that WAS working before I typed in the above code, have reinserted, but now won't display on the RevSlider:

This is what Family Violence is the<br>Leading Cause of Injury<br>to Women & Children<br>in America!

Is 12pt type the default text size of the headlines?

Posted · Report post

Why are you using the font tag ? That isn't supported in HTML5, I recommend you use the <p> tag, header tags, or <span>.

Posted · Report post

I don't even know what a font tag is. Should I remove something from somewhere?

Posted · Report post

Try something like this:

<p style="font-size="12pt">Family Violence is the Leading Cause of Injury to Women & Children in America!<br /><span style="font-size="6pt">National Center for Injury Prevention/CDC!</span></p>

Posted · Report post

In Slide Text area or Extra Elements? It works in Slide Text, except some of the the text extends too far right and can't be seen. If I add <br> as I've done with the other slide text, then none of the text shows.

When I add the code to Extra Elements, that doesn't appear on the slide.

Posted · Report post

have you managed to resolve this? 

Posted · Report post

No, still need answer, please.

Posted · Report post

OK, this is my bad, I have this noted to be included with our docs. In the meantime what you need to do is wrap your text inside a div.

See the RevSlider docs for more information

http://www.orbis-ingenieria.com/code/documentation/documentation.html

And my adding a video code which can be used with alterations to add text.

http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/28168-revslider-how-to-add-video-and-have-it-resize-properly/page-2#entry171007

Posted · Report post

Sorry but I don't understand all of this. I'm not a developer. What I asked was where do I enter this code that you were nice enough to give me - in the Slide Text or Extra Elements? If I need to wrap the text inside a div can you show me what that means or how it looks, please?

<p style="font-size="12pt">Family Violence is the Leading Cause of Injury to Women & Children in America!<br /><span style="font-size="6pt">National Center for Injury Prevention/CDC!</span></p>

Posted · Report post

If you want more control over how your text is displayed you will need to use the Extra Elements option.