Photo
- - - - -

Where is the Blog Template? ...or Blog page code.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 itarsenal

itarsenal

Advanced Member

• Members

• 94 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Framework Version:Personal

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

I have a simple question. I need to replicate the Blog page that Pagelines assigns in Settings > Reading TO a page template.

I cannot select the page in Settings > Reading because the membership plugin Wishlist IGNORES this page, and thus means, I cannot protect it, so I need a way around this.

I need only to take the blog page, exactly as it is setup, and make it a page template, how can I do this?

Thank you!

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:03 AM

Hi there, the posts page is dynamically created so its not a set page. I would imagine wishlist would have an option to protect this though as most wp member sites will have a blog they want to protect, or do they allow you to view the blog page but then when you go into the post it's restricted?

Have you got the blog set to a static page in settings reading? Or is it set to show on the homepage?

The only way I can think you'd be able to recreate the blog on a static page would be to setup a blank page using the template of your choice and then use a hook to insert the loop or a plugin like 'special recent post' to insert the post excerpts like the standard wp page.

#3 itarsenal

itarsenal

Advanced Member

• Members

• 94 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

Unfortunetly, this is a response directly from their support.

"As for the question about the blog page, I'm sorry but the custom template is the only thing I can think of right now. We don't protect pages by their URL."

The blog page is set to a static page, not the homepage, and yes, the actual posts can be protected, but we need the blog page.

Could you coach me on setting up a template, inserting a hook to insert the blog loop? or...a plugin isn't a bad idea, but do you know anything that would allow for a typical blog page layout/look?

-r

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17124 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Unfortunately, you can not do what you want, as the templates are dynamically created in DMS. The problem on the WishList member in my opinion, as they should really protect the page and not the template. I am not an expert on this, but that sounds like a better option than protecting a template.

#5 itarsenal

itarsenal

Advanced Member

• Members

• 94 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

Hmm but I have to be able to put all the code in a template page that calls up everything that Pagelines Theme needs [not DMS] to dynamically make that call, right?

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

I'm not too sure what you mean by the above. But the standard loop in any static Page is only going to pull in the content for that page, not main loop. If you want to pull other information I would imagine from reading the support threads at wp.org you'll need to start looking at custom queries -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Really it would be easier to use a plugin like special recent posts or anyloop to do this for you and then using css to style out the excerpts to how you want them to look/behave etc.

#7 itarsenal

itarsenal

Advanced Member

• Members

• 94 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

I agree, seems like it would be easier to use a plugin that pulls in posts from the posts loop then monkeying with custom queries. Thank you.

-r

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

You're welcome, good luck, let us know how you get on.