Photo
- - - - -

PlatformPro: Buddypress installation problems

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 pcgs

pcgs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:07 PM

I read the Installing Buddypress instructions and watched the video.

So here is my experience??”

I installed both Buddypress and the BuddyPress Template Pack. Checked my pages for alignment and the permalinks which all seemed fine. So, in the same way the video entirely glosses over what to in step three, I too clicked the step three "Finish" button. It seemed like the thing to do.

At first everything seemed fine but now I see that when I Log out (using the Buddypress logout menu option) I get a 404 error page. When attempting to log back in using the new Buddypress "Log In" link in the top menu bar, I get a 404 error.

The only way I can now Log In is to manually visit my Wordpress Log in page <

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

> and use the Log in form. Once done I am returned to the home page of my site, I see "[Edit]" links on the page which will take me to the admin panel. I assume this is normal for Buddypress but things aren't working right I cannot be sure what "normal" is right now.

Anyway, once back into the admin area, I reset the Permalinks but the 404 error problem still exists. I don't think I need to go back to the 'Fixing alignment' of step three because my site pages and sidebars look fine.

So to be clear using the Buddypress Log In menu button produces a 404 error. Also using the Buddypress Log out button produces a 404 error too. How do I fix?

Thanks.

PlatformPro
URL:

Yes, Buddypress and the BuddyPress Template Pack are both installed.

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:02 PM

The Register button works fine, so I know you're permalinks are okay, but for some reason the Log-in button is actually a re-direct instead of going to a normal login page? Did you change this or have a redirect plugin installed?

#3 pcgs

pcgs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:57 AM

Adam, I didn't do this on purpose. It just started happening after installing Buddypress. Let me know what to do. Thanks.

#4 pcgs

pcgs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:55 AM

I've been editing the site this evening and the problem remains. Kept hoping it would go away. If you want the login I'm happy to send it directly to you. This is just a learning site but I need to know how to make Buddypress shine.

#5 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

Is it possible to disable all plugins and test it that way? IT best to remove all confounds so we can begin to rule out problems.

#6 pcgs

pcgs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

Step one: I've disabled all plugins. And now the only way to login is the traditional Wordpress login box.

Step two: I turned on the two Buddypress and Buddypress Template Pack plugins. After turning them on, I click Log out which used to send me straight to a 404 error page but now it shows me the expected Wordpress login panel page. Next I went back to the home page and now see my site with the Buddypress ".padder" bar. I click the "Log in" on the Buddypress .padder bar and bummer! I got a 404 error page. The URL it lands on is <

>

Its official. All plugins BUT Buddypress and the template pack are off and its still happening. Where do we go from here?

#7 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

and you have something other than default permalinks AND also went through the bb template pack steps again? Does BuddyPress tell you at all to modify the .htaccess file?

#8 pcgs

pcgs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

Permalinks are set to: Day and name Not sure what you mean by, "bb template pack steps" I did click the reset on the BP Compatibility. The steps in step three seem unnecessary in my case because the pages look fine. The instructions tell me to look for an index.php file in my <brucechristian.com/wordpress/wp-content/themes/platformbase/> directory. None exists at that location. Didn't exist on my first go around either. So I over looked it as stated before. The video goes into no explanation whatsoever about what we need to do in this step and I'm at a loss. The instructions say that if the pages look good move on. But yes, I went back and looked around to see if there was anything I could and should do. Nope. So I again click the "Finish" button. Where would Buddypress inform me to modify the .htaccess file? No such notices in any of the Buddypress settings or in the plugins or my dashboard. So there is no way for a person to login even after they sign up. I tried creating a separate identity. I could do that but cannot login as a regular site member.

#9 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:59 AM

Bumping for further help, please bump yourself as well. Thanks, Bryan

#10 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3252 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:09 PM

Hey PCGS, Have you checked with the buys at BuddyPress about this? I'm not sure it's related the anything we're doing..

#11 pcgs

pcgs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

Hey, thanks for the bump Bryan! I see you guys are definitely looking out for us. @Andrew: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing last evening. I found one post over in the BuddyPress forum which looks like the same issue with no response. I posted to that thread hoping to bump his question up again but he's already tried bumping it once already with no takers. We shall see. Think I'll try to do a fresh install somewhere and see if I can make the issue just go away. But I bet its a super simple fix for someone out there. Just not us. Thanks.