• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 timjay

timjay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

I'm using Wordpress free theme: Platform by Pagelines, the latest version. 

Not DMS

I created a template I'd like to use for a post. I added it to the Wordpress theme Platform folder with all the other Platform php files. 

But I still don't have an option to use one of the templates. How do I make the new templates I created show up as an option for each post??

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15215 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hi,

Platform isn't built like other Wordpress themes, so you can't build page templates like that. As far as I can remember, as Platform has been a legacy theme since 2012, its not possible to build custom templates. I recommend you upgrade to either PageLines Framework or DMS. In DMS, you can create custom templates in the DMS visual editor.

#3 timjay

timjay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Thanks, but the reason I chose Platform is because it's buddypress compatible. Is Framework or DMS buddypress compatible?

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15215 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

I can't imagine Platform is still compatible with BuddyPress to be honest, seeing as it has been considered a legacy theme for almost 2 years. In regards to PageLines Framework, that is compatible with BuddyPress via a plugin, DMS is compatible with BuddyPress. However, some users have reported some issues, our developers have made some changes which resolve these issues, those changes will be available in DMS patch 1.2.

#5 timjay

timjay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

Thanks,

Well I just created my blog about a year ago and that theme is the one that came up as Buddypress compatible.

So what is the difference between Platform, Framework and DMS and which one is best to use  for my Wordpress site? Should I just get rid of Pagelines??

How do I know when themes become legacy?

Edited by timjay, 25 February 2014 - 11:09 PM.

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

Hi there, legacy themes are older themes which have been replaced by the next generation project. Platform is around 4 years old now, the latest theme for PageLines is now DMS. This is a free theme but also has an additional subscription service which adds extra functionality, support and editing features. You can download the free version of DMS from your account and take it for a test drive.

Regarding the buddypress issue it would depend on the version of buddypress being used, as not too long ago they had a major update which could cause problems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: templates, wordpress, themes, free