Ghost Textbox Code Cleanup

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello all,

Just launched a site and its super slow so trying to clean it up.  One thing I have found is a bit of unnecessary javascript in the footer in an invisible text box.  It is not showing up in the editor and I have looked in every file to see how i can delete this but with no luck.  

The code is: 

// <![CDATA[
  (function() {
    var th = document.createElement('script'); th.type = 'text/javascript'; th.defer = true;
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(th, s);
  })();
// ]]>

Any ideas?

The site is currently running through CloudFlare hence the rocketscript.

Other suggestions on how to make this run faster would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jack 

8 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi Jack 

Have you tried clearing the cache file inside the w3 total cache plugin first? That's also showing as active on the site.

Posted · Report post

Hi James,

Yes, i've cleared the cache in both w3 and cloudflare.  The textbox code is still there in the footer...  Does pagelines create this text in a file or database somewhere that I can modify/delete directly?  Thanks for your help!

Posted · Report post

You added it to the footer, so you need to open the dms editor and look in the footer for the textbox.

It will probably be collapsed if the textbox has no output so it might be hard to find.

Posted · Report post

BTW disk based database caching is the best way to slow your site down, my advice stay well clear of that.

database/query/opcode caching is NOT supposed to be done by php using files.

Posted · Report post

Hi Simon,  thanks for the tip on caching.  The textbox is definitely not visible in the footer when in the dms editor... I deleted the watermark and simplenav to see if it was hiding behind.  Is there another way of getting to the footer content?

Posted · Report post

Impossible for us to say, we can only see a cached page.

Posted · Report post

I purged both caches before and after checking - cloudflare is also paused.  DMS editor says there isnt a text box in the footer, the source says there is...  What I would like to know is where the content of this particular textbox is stored within the pagelines/wordpress structure so that I can try remove it in an alternative way.  Is that doable?

Posted · Report post

I dont know what you purged but all i see is a cached page from 3 hours ago.

We do beg users to clear caches and disable any cache plugins before posting support queries to save time ;)