Photo
- - - - -

Documentation needs serious help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 pcgs

pcgs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:27 AM

While this is mostly about my recent purchase of Platform Pro, I can see it applies to much of Pagelines product documentation and this forum. It seems that documentation cannot be produced as fast as we can consume it. I guess I wish that it had been developed more before releasing PlatformPro. But then yeah, as I learn how to use it I'm really digging PlatformPro. There should be some sort of place where you callout examples of each PlatformPro feature. Like definitions. I have no idea what many of the features will do so how would I know if I have them set up at all? How can I plan my site or know if they are even working correctly? I'm getting the hang of it but certainly not from documentation or from this forum as it is very frustrating to search. And yes, I've been getting my information from forums for at least a decade. When I search in the documentation for "soapbox" which is clearly a PlatformPro feature I get "No results for "soapbox"" Now that isn't good. I've searched for many terms in the last 3 days and not found them here in the forum or in the documentation. But my first request would be please separate the themes from the framework in the documentation and the forum. When a customer comes to "support" its a given that they are already confused about something??”we need answers not more questions. Example of missing stuff: Would be nice to know the difference between a Box and Soapbox and when and why to use either one. Feel free to remove this post but please consider my recommendations. Thanks.

#2 suzannecarver

suzannecarver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:49 AM

I have to amen...I could use more documentation and a glossary...I still can't even figure out what soapbox is.

#3 wairoa

wairoa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:20 AM

It's always a moving target. Consider yourself lucky to have joined in at the PlatformPro level. You lucky few, you lucky, lucky few. :)

#4 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:08 AM

Feedback taken... I'll pass this on to Adam tonight... Providing killer support is a high-priority at the moment. Specifically, we're working on finding some highly-qualified moderators to cut down on forum response times; and help us build out the docs. Please keep the feedback coming :)

#5 suzannecarver

suzannecarver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

Thank you and I am very impressed with support thus far. I guess for me and the friend I have that is using this as well. We were attracted to the fact that it seemed to be for the amateur as well.

#6 pcgs

pcgs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:49 PM

Please consider:

• We should be able to remove our real names from visibility in this forum-a valid security issue. IOW more customized forum profile/prefs.
  • Have the ability to create our own signatures so we don't have to repeat important yet redundant information.
  • Enable us to remove our own posts should we reconsider.
  • Enable us to preview our posts before submitting.
  • Enable us to be notified when we get a reply-we don't need to live here.
  • Have a larger text box to compose our posts (we are in a forum for heavens sake-already frustrated enough).
  • Again, we need the product specific post separated out OR a more advanced way to search within a search. Even if this forum does it you can't tell it does. Sometimes visual feedback and reassurance is everything when you are going bonkers.
  • What the heck is the difference between a Box and a Soapbox?

I really like the fact that this forum allows us to mark the post as solved (once solved). Great feature.

Thanks for listening.

#7 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hey everyone. It is our goal to build out not only a great set of support services but a community of PageLines users who help us build it out via feedback and even contribution so thanks for this. If anyone is interested in helping with the docs or offering more suggestions email me at adam[at]pagelines.com and we can talk more.

#8 julesmoretti

julesmoretti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

Completely agree with cmunns. It really is frustrating to spend $100 for a template that is supposed to be "So simple" and inovative and whatever yet its really not. I very much like your aesthetics but please hurry up you really need a dummies guide to installing your themes. Why isn't all the added plugins preset in your zip files? Why do not you have a step by step document within the zip of the theme? Your support is super patchy. And your video are all over the place and only shows how to solve step C to D out of A to Z. DO make it simple and dumproof especially for that cost. Themeforest webtemplate defeloppers support is already 100 times better they respond to you directly to your questions and there themes are just as nice and cost 1/3 of your price. What wins me over is your integration of forums and community. But please show me how that works and is easily setup. Right now I am strugling and I have a mechanical engineering degree and a master in industrial design so I dont consider myself too dum. Very respectfully guys. I just hope your going to provide more help. Thank you

#9 julesmoretti

julesmoretti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:32 AM

Also a possibility for email notification upon replies would be great for your support.

#10 paymentsnetdirectukcom

paymentsnetdirectukcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:30 AM

Have to second the requst for proper docs and guides for platform. Having so many options and things to fiddle with is great, but when you first look at it it is totally overwhelming and I would really like you to hold my hand and guide me through the initial setup and config.

#11 audaciouscreate

audaciouscreate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:19 AM

Completley agree. The forum support I've received has been swift and helpful, but a simple downloadable .pdf with a dummies guide would be so, so helpful. This is an awesome theme with vast amounts of potential but some core docs would be a real bonus so we can get to grips with all that Platform Pro has to offer. Thanks

#12 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

We're working hard on the docs... I took a look earlier this week and definitely agree they need work.. Adam is on this, full time, but he's had some personal issues so its slowing it up a bit... Expect something by the end of the week.

#13 ma_dzaru_tigi

ma_dzaru_tigi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:05 PM

Totally agree with cmunns and with others. I also couldn't understand how to use it platform.