Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Z Index?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi guys!

I am hoping to achieve a look similar to this website with the logo on top of the nav section content sections below. http://wildflowermontana.com/

Is there a good way to do this with DMS? I think this includes using a z-index with CSS. Would really appreciate any tips and if you can point me in the right direction.

Jenna

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Bacically, all that site is doing is adding a logo above the Navbar, then using z-index and adding a negative margin-bottom to the logo image itself, which in turn will push the Navbar up. Then they give the NavBar a lower zindex value. Thats the gist of it anyway.

What I would recommend is for you to use Google Chrome and just view the code they have used and use it as a base for your own. I did the same thing and got the following result in a matter of minutes.

http://cl.ly/image/0b2Y3q3z0P1S

The image above doesn't show the border going behind the image, as the editor is active, you can see it here properly - http://cl.ly/image/0R3s0L420Q1v

Obviously, its going to take a some CSS to resolve all the issues, such as when the browser is viewed on a mobile device, etc... but you can use that sites code on your own with some minor tweaks. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Looking at that site it appears the logo is inserted inside it's own div. Doing it their way, the easiest way to do this would be to insert the logo using a hook inside the header, giving the area its own id so you can manipulate it with css. Then position it with css in the correct area in the header and use css to split the nav to leave the gap in the middle for the logo to show through.

However in DMS, as you can edit the width of various sections and place items into columns etc. You could set up three columns, one nav with a custom menu on the left, logo in a media box in the middle, then custom menu on the right. So it gives the effect it's all one navbar, but its actually three different sections.

Posted · Report post

Hi guys!

Sorry for the confusion. I actually don't care about the cenetering. I will probably still keep the logo on the left. I just wanted to do a logo that is bigger than the rest of the nav section. In the site I linked to I like how the logo overlaps all of their header images. That is the part I was having a hard time wrapping my brain around!

Is that a possibility with DMS? I am thinking I would need to set up a logo that is ontop of the other sections so it would be partly cover the header and partly covering the content below. Make sense?

Jenna

Posted · Report post

Danny! Awesome!!! Thanks so much.

One last question. In the example that you created, it looks like the content section is still below the logo instead of moving up under it. Is that the case? Is that resolved with a Z-index and a negative margin as well?

Posted · Report post

Hi there, yes moving up the main page content using a negative margin and then adjusting the z-index for that section will allow the logo image to float on top of the content.

1 person likes this