7 replies to this topic

#1 bonnysteele

bonnysteele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

Hi, I want to link one of my website pages to a subdirectory such as ewiconnect.com/scholarships

Is there an easy way to do this in Pagelines or Wordpress? Or do I need to add the folder to my root and link it that way somehow? 

Thanks

Also, I'm a plus member but I can't log in to the live chat. It tells me I need to upgrade to plus…but I'm already a plus member.

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

Hi there,

The Plus subscription package finished on the launch of DMS, each Plus subscription who had an active subscription on launch was migrated to a DMS plan to continue the service. Unfortunately Live chat is no longer part of the support package for DMS and this service is no longer operating.

When making a custom menu from the wp admin area > appearance> menus you have the option to insert a url into the menu so one of your menu tabs in the navbar can go to an external site. Enter the url for your sub directory into there to be able to get the link to go from your site to the sub directory.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 bonnysteele

bonnysteele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:05 AM

Maybe my question was confusing. Or maybe I'm confused by your answer. 

I don't want to link to an external site. I want to link to my own site with a subdirectory. I want to type ewiconnect.com/scholarships into my browser and have it take me to this page: 

#4 bonnysteele

bonnysteele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

Ok. I've done that. But it isn't working. 

Attached Files

#5 bonnysteele

bonnysteele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:20 AM

Or you're saying I put "

" in the URL field, right? 

And then I need to create a directory for "scholarships" in my website file system? 

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

Hi Bonny, right with you I think. From the original post it sounded like you had an existing site and were then linking one page to another site in a subdirectory that you already had setup etc.

If you've not set up the subsdirectory yet then yes, you'd set up the subdirectory, install a second copy of wordpress into the subdirectory and setup. Create the page in the new Wp installation inside the subdirectory and then put the link to that page into the custom menu on the original site as described in the last post.

That way you have your original site and database in the root, and the new database and pages in the subdirectory.

#7 bonnysteele

bonnysteele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:38 AM

Will installing another wordpress in the subdirectory bog down my server at all?

I'm imagining wanting to do this with several pages of my site to create easily readable and memorable links. This seems like a time consuming process that will bog down my server with many wordpress installs. Am I wrong?

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

It depends on the host really, how many sites are on the server other than yours, the amount of traffic etc. Each subdirectory will work off it's own database so it will be like each one is it's own mini site. I've had sites with two sub directories before but never more than that so I haven't any experience if more would have a negative effect.

If you're just looking to set the links have you looked at the permalink structures in wp admin > settings > permalinks? You can set that up to name the categories, then the post names etc to give the effect you're looking for.