background images keep resizing

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi, I have a strange problem. The back ground image is find on the landing page. But the other pages the background seems to resize. I have the same background on all the pages, but it looks different on them on. Actually when I am logged out in Firefox I can see the background shifting smaller and larger as I watch it for a few minutes. Any ideas?

http://buff.ly/1digwPd

27 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

It is the "About Page" That I would like to have the background look like on all the pages. I believe I have the same background file on all the inside pages. The landing page is fine and seem to not be resizing the background image. All the backgrounds are the same sizes. Thanks

Posted · Report post

Additionally the background is not showing up on the testimonials page at all? Even though it is the same background....

Posted · Report post

Hi,

The background images are not the same.

Your home page uses the following image - http://avisualadvantage.net/alan/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/LynnwoodHypnosisBG_AlanLanding.jpg

Your about page uses the following image - http://avisualadvantage.net/alan/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/LynnwoodHypnosisInside_Body1.jpg

Both images are different and have different dimensions.

Your testimonials page is using a completely different image which is larger than the others, the image is shown but is using the cover property which fits the image to the page, so all you're seeing is the white area of that image.

http://avisualadvantage.net/alan/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/LynnwoodHypnosisInside_Body12.jpg

I suggest you use the same image.

Posted · Report post

Hey Alan. Nice to see another DMS user in the Seattle area. That makes 3 of us I know about. We should all try to get together sometime. I'm on Capitol Hill.

I'm wondering how you added your background image? I noticed on my full-page background image which I add via the DMS Settings in Color & Bg and then choosing fit image to page. This is creating a class called #supersized img which I do not see on your site. And this would make the site use the same image throughout, addressing the issue Danny raised.

Hope that helps. Private message me if you want to try to get together sometime and talk DMS.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Sheila! I have a different template for the front page than that other pages. So I have 2 templates with 2 different background images. I thought that all the images were the same for the 2nd template, but I was having a problem in that Pagelines was not saving always when I hit publish. Have you ever had that problem?

I can actually watch the contact page without doing anything to it, logged out in Firefox and see the background image shifting in and out. If you watch it for about 2 minutes you will see it constantly do that. Well maybe it will work with the clouds.

What is the perfect image size for this do you think Sheila and Danny?

I will private message you about meeting Sheila.

Posted · Report post

If I update the template with the new image the templates on all the pages are not updating, even if I reload the template on that page. Do you what I need to do to fix this problem. Go Hawks!!!

Posted · Report post

Off to a Superb Owl gathering now. Yes, go Hawks.

I'm no expert on the whole template thing, but what I'd do is remove all the background images and then add one single image where I mentioned. That should then impact all pages the same regardless of templates. I think templates don't automatically update the pages that use them. If you change the template you have to then re-apply it to the pages. (I think that's how it works.)

Posted · Report post

Thanks Sheila. I wanted a different lower body background on all the pages other than the landing page. Just because of the different format of those pages compared to the landing page.

Posted · Report post

All you need to do is goto all the pages which you want to have the same image as the About page, remove the image that is currently there and then replace it with the image that used on the About page, save your settings/publish and that should do the trick.

Posted · Report post

Thank you I will do that. Can you tell me what the best size image to use is. I actually did what you said and replaced all the images, but unfortunately every time I hit publish it did not save. Weird I know. I will try it again, but very frustrating and then when I look at the contact page for a few minutes you can see the background shifting in and out. It is very strange.

Posted · Report post

Once you've pasted or selected the image in the field, click elsewhere inside the admin panel and you'll see the little spinning saving icon in the top right of the DMS control panel. Once that's finished spinning click to publish.

The image background doesn't have any specific size, if you're using the 'fit to page option' then the image will be stretched to fit the browser window, so all you'll need to do is make sure the image doesn't go blurry if it's stretched too far.

I usually like to have at least 800 x 600 at a minimum if using pictures for the background, but mainly I go around 1200px if its a picture with lots of detail etc.

Posted · Report post

Thank you. That was exactly the info I was looking for.

I changed the size to 600W px and upoaded the image. Waited for the saving of the image to upload and selected publish. Choose Fit image to page or not. It does not seem to matter. The image seems to stay the same size and too large so only white is showing. How do I fix this problem. I have tried inserting the same backgound like on the About page where it works (but is the old image size), but still the image seems to resize too large even when fit image to page is or is not selected. Any ideas?

http://buff.ly/1eu6WgE

image: _______BlueAlan600.jpg

Posted · Report post

update for the link for one of the pages in questions which keeps resizing my image too large.

http://buff.ly/1cPFidT

I can't have it resizing so large. Thanks

Posted · Report post

I can't recreate your issue, therefore, the problem has to being coming from either a plugin you have installed or something you have added to some of the pages you're having difficulty with.

Try disabling all your active plugins and try changing the image again and see if this resolves your issue.

Posted · Report post

Strange as I did not install new plugins before this started happening....but will take a look. I will have to do that tonight now as the site is not live as I ran out of time because of this issue.

Posted · Report post

Is it possible to set the size of the image in pagelines or will it always scale the background image? Guess I am looking for an override. I am having that issue come up in my headers also.

Posted · Report post

Ok it looks like you've set the background in the site bg on some pages in the color and bg tab - http://screencast.com/t/fNnqo66LVP9

On other pages it looks like you added the background inside the template area as a background to the section area rather than the page, these images in the sections area are still using the larger image. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixy7ov6bv3wrz0v/Screenshot%202014-02-04%2023.53.17.png

If you want the site background to cover the whole page, across the site use the color and background tab http://screencast.com/t/fNnqo66LVP9 in there checking the 'fit to page' option will scale the background image to automatically fit the page using that option, but it won't affect the background images you've added inside the section areas. You'll need to remove the background images you've set inside the section areas first or they'll cover the main site background image as this goes behind etc. Then add your image via the background image field inside the color and bg tab and select fit to page so you can see it across the whole site.

Posted · Report post

Thanks I will go through and check that out. I wanted the landing page to have one background and the other pages to have one template with a different background.

Posted · Report post

Additionally I have one background for the header and the background I am changing is on the lower section of the pages. I am happy with the Landing page lower background. Just all the other pages....and these other pages use the same template and backgrounds. I would like to just change the template and update all the pages with that template(except the landing page), which should work I would think...once I get one background working for the inside pages

Posted · Report post

I checked everything. I do not see a image added in the global settings, but removed it anyways

Now is there any to have the second template so I can have a separate body or section image that does not stretch so much? It seems if I make the image 1200 px or 600 px if views the same.

Posted · Report post

It is looking more and more like these problems are a DMS issue. I can save fine in the Dashboard of Wordpress but not in the DMS view. A few funky things going on including the resizing of background images extremely large. It takes about 4 attempts to save in Page View. Maybe it is a plugin issue but it seems it started to happen half way through the design of the site. The plugins were all imported from the old site.

Posted · Report post

Hi there, you can disable the third party plugins to see if this resolves, then if it does you'll need to go through each one, one by one to find out which is causing the conflict.

In regards to the saving, I've replied to this on your other thread. If you still have issues then we'd need to see exactly what was going on in the editor when you're making the changes. If you could create a short videocast showing making the edits using something like jing http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html and paste the link to the video file in here we'll review for you.

Posted · Report post

Hi, I deactivated all the 3rd party plugins and was still having various problems. Then I deactivated all plugins and still having problems. One of the things I tried to do is delete the page background with all plugins disabled but Pagelines plugin.

- I could not delete background. It would appear to be deleted but when I viewed it would not be deleted. They I would go to the edit menu in DMS and it would appear to be deleted and after saved put it was still there. They only way it would be deleted is if I uploaded a white background

- forms do not work now

- images will not format. I have it aligned to the left lets say on testimonials page, it looks that way in Wordpress put not when you view the site.

What would you suggest I need to fix this problem. Should I reinstall Pagelines. What special procedure would you suggest for this? Thanks!

Posted · Report post

You can try installing a fresh version of the theme to rule that out, just in case you do have any form of conflict or error. Make sure you download the latest zip file from your account to replace the existing edition.

Ideally we'd need to see you making the edits live to see exactly whats happening as you make the changes and how the editor is reacting to the settings. If you could record a short videocast of the screen for each issue as you make the edits and paste the url to the link, we'll then review and see if we can advise further from what's happening on the screen. Also enable the debug option inside settings>advanced>debug in the DMS control panel.

Posted · Report post

Thanks I will do that testing tonight and let you know and record any problems.