Lost footer

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

This is the second time in 20 hrs that I loose all the settings inside one of the two sections I have in the footer.

DMS sections stay in place but everything inside (pics, setting, etc) is gone!!

I have two full width sections in the footer.

The bottom one is OK but the top one goes off when - seemingly - I include new full width sections inside the template area..

any idea ??

http://seeduni.com/?page_id=9244

Thanks

34 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi there the footer section is global, have you changed templates at all when this happens?

Currently I see 3 media boxes, 2 nav's then another media box in the footer. If you make local changes for these sections in the footer on page, then when viewing the next page you'll have to reset the section options. Only if you set the global options for each sction will appear on each page. http://screencast.com/t/ulese5qlRi

Posted · Report post

Hi James,

Yes yes, what you see is what is there.

the settings were stable for long time and everything was fine but all the settings in the first section disappeared (the three top media boxes with one nav bar) when/after I inserted a full width section in the template area ...

And then yesterday, the same happened to the second section in the footer (the media box + nav bar at the bottom) also as I was cloning and working with sections.

I do not remember I have touched the local settings and anyway, the settings disappeared globally (unfortunately)

Any idea what that could be?

Posted · Report post

Can you try disabling all active plugins except for DMS Pro Tools and see if this resolves your issue. As when I view your site you have a js error, which may be related to your issue.

Also, I am seeing a number of MediaBoxes that contain no content, except for the default MediaBox image.

Posted · Report post

Yes, the empty media boxes are where I once had the footer!

The sections didn't disappear but all the settings inside did.

I did the plugin check but it didn't bring them back.

The footer setting were stable until i started to work with the full width sections - adding and moving them around. This is when the content of one section in the footer disappeared and then the content in the second section ...

I see there are some javascript errors in some pages but no idea what to do to solve them.

Posted · Report post

From what you have described, it sounds like you have manually removed the footer yourself, adding a Full Width Section to your template, can not remove the footer, I've just tried several times.

Also, on which pages are these JavaScript errors, I can't see any.

Posted · Report post

No, footer was not removed manually.

It was not removed at all actually but the settings inside the sections were - and it happened three times in exactly the same conditions: when I was adding and moving ful width sections.

I know it may seems strange to you but this is what happened.

There has been a number of weird things happening:

- background images in full width sections turning up in other pages and templates and that would not go away even when I was deleting them in the original page; I had to delete and redo the pages and templates to solve the issue.

- I have also some sections and setting in columns spontaneously duplicating on refresh ...

I do not know if can give you any indication about what's happening.

Same Javascripts error in this page and this one

Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL http://seeduni.com/?page_id=9244 from frame with URL http://www.youtube.com/embed/mv1TVpAyvfc. Domains, protocols and ports must match.

Posted · Report post

If you could remove the sections that are currently in the footer and then try and recreate the footer setup. After its all set add the full width section and videocast this using something like jing so we can see first hand what's happening, we'll try and recreate it to test further as to what's happening.

You can download jing from http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

Redone the footer and think I have found the problem:

I have redone the footer inside a full width section in the template area (so that I do not loose it again) and draged the full width section into the footer area. And it looked ok. 

But doing that, I noticed that, although the footer looks like it's there (all the pics and settings show up), there is actually no setting inside the sections themselves, which is exactly what happened to my footer - one day, all the pics disappeared and there was no settings left in the sections.

So this is probably what happened - I prepared the footer in template area and dragged dropped it in footer area and it looked ok for some time until it revealed its real state. 

So let's say issue is solved.

Thanks.

Posted · Report post

mmhh ... small change ... i have just cloned a full width section in template and moved it into footer area and all the settings have remained this time ... so .. not sure but ok for now unless you have a good idea.

Posted · Report post

issue persists.

I have redone the footer and it was stable for 10-15 reload and then suddenly again all settings gone ... this time i was not working on a full width section but moving a text box around and on refresh, there were no setting in the media boxes in the footer ...

and the settings inside a media box I had put in header area are also gone!

Help!

Posted · Report post

and the settings inside a media box I had put in header area are also gone!

Posted · Report post

Hello @frederic 

Thank you for your updates - could you create an Admin logon for your site and send the credentials to hello at pagelines dot com - also include a link to this forum topic so we can reference your email. 

We can jump on and take a look at your settings for you 

Posted · Report post

Hi martin,

sent!

Many thanks for your help!

Posted · Report post

Hi martin,

I do not know if this can help you but latest updates are - after updating DMS pro, some images have appeared in the mediaboxes of the footer, the settings have appeared from i do not know where ...

Posted · Report post

HEllo @frederic 

No Problem at all - i have checked and no credentials email has arrived in the inbox - i will check again shortly and ask you to resend if they do not arrive. 

Posted · Report post

Hi martin,

I have just lost all custom css on refresh a mn ago and footer sections have disappeared !

I sent an e-mail this morning to  hello@pagelines.com  with the credentials

You have not received it?

Posted · Report post

Hi there, I've logged into the site this morning and tested the sections (mod's i've left notes on the email in the inbox), the images I placed in and the settings stayed in place all through testing, I've refreshed the site multiple times and moved the sections between the layout and was unable to replicate the issue whilst logged into your site. I've checked the debug and console and can't see any errors or notifications in there which could be causing a problem.

Who are you hosting with? I'm wondering if there's any chance the host refreshing anything.

(Mod's fyi - admin login details are now in the admin notes at the top of the thread)

Posted · Report post

Thanks james

???  

Happy to know there is no problem although I would have wished there is a one that we can solve!

The footer is still gone and yesterday I lost all custom css + global settings three times in one hour ...

I haven't received your mail yet. Did you send it to the mail box from where I wrote to you?

Sorry, I should have written from the pagelines message system maybe ...

so ... what do I do next?

Posted · Report post

I'm confused what you mean, I didn't send you an email. The reference in the message above for the other moderators to let them know I've added the login details to the admin panel so other moderators can check as well.

If you could let us know who the host is and if possible videocast this happening live so we can let the developer team take a look for you.

The only other thing I was thinking was if you've added any custom html to the page, try removing it temporarily. I'm trying to think outside the box and wondering that if any of the code isn't entered correctly it can throw the page out and could affect saving or new sections being added.

Posted · Report post

HI James,

I was referring to '(mod's i've left notes on the email in the inbox)' - i thought it meant you had replied to my mail - ok, I understand now. Thanks.

i will ask my friend about the host. I have had a number of issues loading also and there could be something with the host.

The problem with videocasting live is that i never know when it is going to happen ... i tried last time and refreshed several times before it disappeared again ...

But I do think/feel, as you do, that there is a piece of custom HTML somewhere that is causing the problem. I will check all the sections and let you know if i find something.

I used to put custom HTML in text boxes before Danny told me not to - now I put everything - custom HTML, shortcodes, links etc in media boxes.

I only incluse things like <span>, <b>, <em> into text boxes.

WIll keep you updated.

Thanks

Posted · Report post

OK, keep us updated.

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

the host is Hostnine.com

It seems the problem comes when I clone / move around sections.

I haven't put the footer back yet but I noticed that all settings in custom css and global settings disappeared after cloning and moving full width sections.

The problem may be related to this page although I can't see any irregularity - but I cannot save it as template.

Not sure if it helps.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny"] @[member="james,

Sorry, me again ... the issue of setting disappearing on reload persists ... it is definitely related to that page and it wipes out all contents and setting in several mediaboxes and textboxes when i reload. 

Could it be related to the way I embed videos?

I consistently have this error message on pages where I embed videos the youtube way:

Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL http://seeduni.com/?page_id=8967 from frame with URL http://www.youtube.com/embed/gNrOUUnF06Y. Domains, protocols and ports must match.

Is there another way of embedding videos in a page that would not produce this error?

Or ...?

Posted · Report post

I wouldn't think the youtube video would affect the settings saving, but I'll ask Simon and see if it's possible. Have you tried adding the video using the PageLines shortcode.

[pl_video type="vimeo" id="42811051"]

See the example just off the bottom of the page here - http://demo.pagelines.me/tools/ to see which part of the url for the video needs to go into the shortcode.

Posted · Report post

Thanks james,

I will try the shortcode.

I am redoing the page and deleting the faulty one. Let's see if it solves the issue