category pages don't accept local changes on DMS

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello,

My problem is with the category pages. It's the same page except one is in french, the other one will be in english (no need to use WPML here, just a few pages), so they call the same posts with two different tags : "actualites" and "news"

http://wouapy.octanteine.com/category/actualites

http://wouapy.octanteine.com/category/news

I chose to have a different highlight and a different menu in each of these pages, but the same content (maybe from Facebook).

And when I change the highlight content and the menu settings, the last change is applied on BOTH pages.

Do you know how to fix that?

TIA

Ines

11 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

You can apply style to a particular page using the page id of the page you want to change as a prefix in your CSS code. 

To find out the page id of the pages you are applying the particular style to - go to your Wordpress > pages > all pages and hover over a particular page. at the bottom of the screen in the info bar you will see the ID of the page. Take note of this. 

Lets say the ID of the page is 166 

To apply CSS to that particular page we would add 

.page-id-166

to the start of our CSS. 

Posted · Report post

Hello Martin,

How I do that on a category page?

Posted · Report post

Ok - try changing your permalinks settings to Post-ID and then load the Category page - this should give you the ID to use. :) 

Posted · Report post

Hello Martin,

I don't want to loose my permalinks settings, so I tried another way to do it, by creating a page to publish FB feed. But doing so it will create duplicate content :-(

That's why I would really appreciate if the local settings could be used.

If I use the page ID, how I call all my sections in french in a page, and all my sections in english in another? Do I have to create double sections on each page and call them by using a class? double navbar, double highlight?

TIA

Posted · Report post

Is it because it' in the header section? But I managed to change the navbar on local for pages, not for post pages…

Posted · Report post

Hi there, post pages all use the post template, so changes made on that template get reflected on the other post/category/archive templates etc. So if you add highlight to the post page, it will appear on all post pages etc. But you still have the option inside the section settings to set the local options for that section - http://screencast.com/t/vTGPOkZ0t46. So even though the highlight will appear on all post pages, you can chose different versions between those post pages.

Posted · Report post

Hello,

That is exactly what I am looking for, the same sections in my post pages but with a different content… And it does NOT work for me. Every time I change the content in the LOCAL options, the change appears on both pages. Maybe it could be because of the use of categories, I want the same posts (categories : "news" AND "actus" for all of them), but a different navbar and highlight (one in french, one in english). I think I have to duplicate the posts and give them each a unique category, but then I'll have duplicate content… or maybe what I want to do IS ducplicate content anyway…

Thanks for your help

Posted · Report post

Helloooo?

What can I do to resolve my problem?

I put the navbar and masthead and highlight in the template section (instead of in the header section), I change their content in local, and the last change applied is visible on BOTH category pages…

Mayday!!

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, it is not possible at the moment to have different category pages. This has been reported already and our developers are aware of the issue.

Posted · Report post

Is there an update to this? I'd like to have the ability to control local changes on my Custom Taxonomy pages. Also, it would make sense to have different local edits for Custom Post Types that are in different categories. 

Thanks, 

Chris

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, this still isn't possible at the moment.