Photo

Adding image to Whitehouse header - may I?

Best Answer James B , 28 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

Hi there, looking at your site in the source code you have the total cache plugin active. You'll need to activate this if you've deactivate previously, clear the cache plugin from inside the plugin options panel, then deactivate. Make the required pages and clear the browser cache you're viewing the site in to ensure you're seeing the live version. Then once the correct version is displaying, re-enable the cache plugin once all edits have been made.

You cache plugin saves a previous version of the site to make sure it loads quicker, so all the time this is active you might see differences between the live version you're editing and the page you're viewing once refreshing. Even disabling the plugin won't fix this unfortunately unless the plugin cache is cleared prior to deactivating.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eloise

eloise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:49 AM

Hello, I put together a collage of cartoons to add to my header of WP Whitehouse theme. (It's not Pro, just ordinary Whitehouse.) Also asked on the WP forum, and we're all stumped.

It does say custom-header in the header.php - in fact, it says a lot of custom things -- but I can't get anything to work. I assume it's a pay thing. However, since the theme is so old now, can't you give us guys a break?

It's classically handsome, and I would really like to use it, and have already adapted some things. How to switch out the blank header that just has text and add an image? The image, collage.jpg, is already in my images file.

I've tried: adding #header{background:url(imageurl) 0 0 no-repeat;} and the like to stylesheet with no success. I would like to change it either in stylesheet or the Header.php

All advice welcome. http://donnabarstow.com/

I also posted this in another section of the forum - not sure how to delete that one, as this is more on topic.

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Hi there, you can add an image using css. Once you've uploaded to the media gallery add the image using the following css which will give an effect like http://screencast.com/t/oeqKtIBtqcwI

#header .content {
    background: url("your image url goes here");
}

#3 eloise

eloise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

My mistake. There is an option to add a header image from the Whitehouse tab on Admin page, not the Customize or Options tab, so I totally missed it. I did insert a cartoon there, thanks.

But now I can't try any other image in there. It only shows that first image, and any other image comes out blank. In addition, even though I changed the name of that image (from collage.jpg to collage1.jpg) it still shows the original image! I deleted cache. Why won't the Theme Opionts>Header and Nav allow me to add a different image? What am I missing?

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:48 PM   Best Answer

Hi there, looking at your site in the source code you have the total cache plugin active. You'll need to activate this if you've deactivate previously, clear the cache plugin from inside the plugin options panel, then deactivate. Make the required pages and clear the browser cache you're viewing the site in to ensure you're seeing the live version. Then once the correct version is displaying, re-enable the cache plugin once all edits have been made.

You cache plugin saves a previous version of the site to make sure it loads quicker, so all the time this is active you might see differences between the live version you're editing and the page you're viewing once refreshing. Even disabling the plugin won't fix this unfortunately unless the plugin cache is cleared prior to deactivating.