Publish does not "save" changes made with the editor to the page template

Question

Posted · Report post

I am in the process of updating WP to 3.8 and DMS to 1.1.5 development site to test before updating my "live" site.

An issue that I have run into, that I have never seen before, is that one of my pages will not save when I click the "publish" button. The page template is the incorrect column sizes, rapidtabs keep displaying, as well as the comment section. I have tried removing rapidtabs, adjusted the column sizes, and removed the comment section multiple times, but it never "saves" when I click the publish button. I have even tried removing everything on this page template and clicking the "publish" button, but everything still shows up after a refresh.

The odd thing about this issue is that it only happens on one page. Other page templates save changes just fine.

The testing page that I having issues with is: http://www.godfilms.net/shopp/cart/

The current live site looks like this: http://www.wpfilm.com/shopp/cart/

Test Site Versions:

WordPress 3.8

Pagelines DMS 1.1.5

Shopp 1.3.1 

33 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi there that is strange. Do you have any plugins or scripts which are only present on that page and not the others?

Try saving the page as a new template and saving under a new name in case the template is corrupt in some way.

If you could videocast whats happening live so we can see we'll try and replicate and see if the dev team can advise further.

Posted · Report post

Hey James, I don't believe there is anything different, as far as scripts, from other pages.

The only plugins I currently have on my development site is:

Akismet

Custom sidebars
Shopp (eCommerce plugin)

The page that is having the problem is Shopp's cart.php page. 

I did a quick screencast if the issue. You can see from the video that basically no changes made to this page are saved.

http://quick.as/gqriryd

Posted · Report post

Hi there, that is strange, I'm wondering if its to do with the eComm plugin in that case. If you disable this temporarily, do changes on that page then work as normal? Maybe there's something in the code which is stopping the page from re-saving.

Posted · Report post

The eCommerce plugin may be the cause, but I doubt it. The "page" that is having the issue with saving / publishing is a Shopp template page. So, if I disable that plugin, I wouldn't be able to get to that page. This issue is happening on my development site.

My live site works just fine. I am using WP 3.5.1, Shopp 1.2.8, and DMS 0.9.6. Obviously the issue appears with updates on the dev site.

I can try to dig deeper in the code on that Shopp template file to see if there a weird script conflicting with DMS. Is that usually the cause for the "saving/publishing" issues?

Posted · Report post

I did dig a little deeper into that page that has been having the "saving / publishing" issue. It looks like there might be an issue with a jquery call in the core of wordpress. I did a quick screencast to show you.

http://quick.as/yavf8gr

Posted · Report post

Hi again, that jquery message is just a warning that will appear on every page at the current time.

The only thing I can suggest is to set up an admin level login and email the credentials along with a link to this forum post so we can tie to two together, to hello@pagelines.com and we'll get one of the team to take a closer look for you and see what our developer team can advise.

Posted · Report post

Admin login credentials have been sent to hello@pagelines.com.

Posted · Report post

So, I have decided to actually take another crack at trying to figure out this issue. I am still running into the same issue where DMS will not save / publish changes made on certain pages. I have now updated DMS to 2.0.3 and do still have to same error message:

event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead. jquery.js?ver=1.10.2:4

This jquery error may not even be the culprit as you have said. Is there any other thoughts as to why a page would not save / publish? When I hit the "publish" button, the colored circle just stays blue. Obviously some is not working correctly.

Posted · Report post

The jquery error is a chrome bug - more about this here https://wordpress.org/support/topic/calender-next-and-prev-links-not-working

in your debug info there is the following warning 

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem
/* LESS PARSE ERROR in your Custom CSS: !important is undefined: failed at `!important;background: #00D6DD;background: -moz-linear-gradient(left, #00D6DD 0%, #00D6DD 25%, #ffffff 75%);background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, right top, color-stop(0%,#131313), color-stop(25%,#00D6DD), color-stop(75%,#00D6DD));background: -webkit-linear-gradient(left, #00D6DD 0%,#00D6DD 25%,#ffffff 75%);background: -o-linear-gradient(left, #00D6DD 0%,#00D6DD 25%,#ffffff 75%);background: -ms-linear-gradient(left, #00D6DD 0%,#00D6DD 25%,#ffffff 75%);background: linear-gradient(to right, #00D6DD 0%,#00D6DD 25%,#ffffff 75%);filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#000000', endColorstr='#ffffff',GradientType=1 );}` line: 1234 */

you wont be able to make changes stick if you have an error in your CSS 

paste all your css in here >>http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/#validate_by_input

this will give you a breakdown of the error and which line it is on. 

EDIT : also ask your host to update your php or remove the following error or remove the restriction 

PHP Open basedir restriction
Yes! This can cause issues if it is not setup correctly
/var/www/vhosts/dev-wpfilms.com/:/tmp/

Posted · Report post

So the jquery error isn't really anything to worry about and shouldn't be the culprit of this problem?

I did actually see that CSS error and have fixed it, I still wasn't able to save / publish changes made on the suspect pages.

Posted · Report post

you still have the error in your debug - paste your CSS into our pastebin and add the link here and i will take a look http://forum.pagelines.com/pst/

Posted · Report post

how have you added this code? which method and to where? 

Posted · Report post

there are quite a few errors even though the validator stops at the first. 

for example 3 lines down is this 

span.savings {color:#cc0000}

Posted · Report post

All this css is added in the CUSTOM LESS/CSS area.

Ok, so has the debugging in improved from versions? (obviously bad code is bad code) Because on my live site (DMS 1.1.5) I am not seeing these errors.

Also, for testing purposes, I did remove all my custom CSS in that field and save to see if that fixed the save / publish issues. It did not.

Posted · Report post

Try this -  remove all your CSS and back it up. Save and publish with no CSS. Then goto WordPress > PageLines Menu and delete any CSS in your fallback. Save the fallback. Back to front end and try publishing again and add the css back via the editor. That is AFTER you fixed all the errors. 

you might not see the errors but adding more code might not work. At the point you entered the bad code or some of the bad code it stopped your Site working properly to be put it simply.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Martin! I will give it a shot.   :D

What is the "CSS in your fall back"? Is that the LESS/CSS Cache?

What would you recommend for CSS validation?

Posted · Report post

What is the "CSS in your fall back"? WP-admin > Pagelines > DMS Fallbacks > Custom CSS/LESS

Posted · Report post

Thank you GetMeWebDesign. 

I have now removed all custom CSS and re-published my test site. Still no dice! 

I am still unable to save / publish on a specific page (Shopp eCommerce dynamic cart page) with all the custom css removed.

Posted · Report post

Is it an actual wordpress page? Or created on the fly by the shop plugin?

Posted · Report post

It is not an actual wordpress page. It is a dynamically created page by the Shopp eCommerce plugin.

Posted · Report post

Then it wont have a post ID, this is probably why you cant customise it.

Posted · Report post

The weird thing is I am currently using the Pagelines DMS (1.1.5) + Shopp plugin on my live site without issue. I ran into this issue while testing newer versions of Wordpress, DMS, and Shopp.

Posted · Report post

What does the page info area in the dms editor show?

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is what it says:

Current Page Type  shopp_page	         The classification of WordPress page.
Current Type ID    70544283	         A meta ID associated with this type of page. Used for settings for entire type.
Current Page ID	   0	                 A meta ID associated with this specific page.
Template Handling  type	                 The scope of template handling. "Page" or "type" wide.
Template           custom (no template)  The ID of the current template being used.
Edited by Josiah L