Sections Are Disappearing From Homepage After Being Save Multiple Times

Question

Posted · Report post

I've been having a very frustrating problem with DMS lately on a installation.

Basically, it seems that I can only save and handful sections ( 5 or so) on the homepage I'm working on.

Any attempt to save any sections beyond 5 or so seems to fail.

I do the "clicking around thing" and I save the section multiple times before daring to try a page refresh.

Sometimes, the changes will stick , leading me to feel confident enough to add a few more.

But then, inevitably, all sections other than the first few that were added disappear.

I've tried the clicking thing, multiple saves, saving as a template, saving again and again and again before attempting to refresh the page.

I've tried deactivating all plugins, no change.

Tonight I added a new site to the network in the hopes of getting a better result with a clean slate (no custom anything, no plugins other than DMS pro tools).

I managed to get about 5 sections loaded and saved that can stand up to a page refresh but that's about it.

I'm not adding them in the header or footer area, so that's not an issue.

I'm on WP 3.8 and using the latest DMS and latest DMS pro tools.

I've run the debugging and everything looks good.

I've looked around the forum and have seen others reporting similar problems but there do not appear to be any solutions.

Please advise.

10 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Can you provide a link to the site in question and also make sure DMS debug mode is active. Also what sections are you adding to your template, is this also a custom template you have created or a stock template ?

As I am still unable to recreate the problem of sections being removed or settings reverting, I just added 6 Mastheads sections, 2 Flipper Sections, 16 MediaBoxes, 4 Callouts and a Simple Nav to a template and all the settings saved without any issue.

http://d.pr/i/ioIv

http://d.pr/i/2V2Q

http://d.pr/i/rJKz

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny

The site's on the downlow right now so I created an account for you (hopefully that wasn't too presumptuous).

Let me know where I can send the details.

Also, a strange thing happened after creating the account.

I logged out and clicked on the activation link for the account I created for you (sent it to one of my email addresses) and landed on a 404 page.

I know it's a separate issue, so let me know if you want me to create a new thread for that.

Cheers

Posted · Report post

Bump

Posted · Report post

Hi Dawson, if you've pm'd the details to Danny he'll be in Sunday morning so will be able to respond to you then with his findings :-)

Posted · Report post

Hi James

Haven't pm'd Danny - partly because I haven't been able to find pm feature on this forum.

Posted · Report post

Send the details to our helpdesk please - hello at pagelines dot com

As I can't really afford to enable the PM system as I get spammed constantly and my inbox is getting enough emails as it is.

Also, Wordpress doesn't send out an activation URL via email when creating a user account. Therefore, you must using a third party plugin to have this functionality, the issue is likely with that plugin.

Posted · Report post

Your point about WordPress not sending out an activation URL via email is not correct. By default, WordPress sends out a confirmation email to new and existing users when you add them. It also gives you the option to skip sending the activation emails.

I added a new user for the installation in question and left the checkbox next to "skip sending confirmation email" unchecked.

And the only plugin that's active on the installation I was referring to was the DMS Pro tools, so the 404 problem isn't related to a 3rd party plugin.

Anyway, email with login details is on its way.

Cheers

Dawson

Posted · Report post

I have just this moment setup 5 users on my site and not one of the emails contains a confirmation link. All the email says is this:

[Site Name] Your username and password

Username: danny2
Password: blah

Can you provide a screenshot of this email please, so I can see this confirmation link. Also where is the option "skip sending confirmation email" unchecked"

http://d.pr/i/Aquz

Are you using Wordpress Multisite ? As that option isn't available in the standard version of Wordpress.

Posted · Report post

Yes this is a multisite installation (I originally referred to it as a network).

Please see attached screenshots.

Cheers

Dawson

Posted · Report post

OK, I going to need to test this myself setting up a MS site. I will need to do this tomorrow now as my shift is coming to an end. Can you reply here and provide me with following please.

* Exact steps to recreate the problem

* What sections are being removed or a list of the sections you have used that have disappeared.

* Where are you adding the sections i.e. in the header area, Footer area, Template or in a Full Width layout area with a Column Layout section added inside ?

Also, can you email me a link to the MS setup if possible and enable debug mode so I can see your debug info.

danny at pagelines dot com

When emailing me, please set the subject to Sections Disappearing and link to this topic please. Also don't forget to provide admin username and password too. One more thing do you give me permission to play about with the site i.e. disabling plugins if any is active, add/remove sections from the templates?