Photo
- - - - -

Shortcode in main content ("CONTENTS" from WP Events Manager) overwrites banners

shortcode banners

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fritzfeger

fritzfeger

• Members

• 15 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Framework Version:2.4.1

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Hi there, on the page

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

, there's the plugin Events Manager (from the Word Press PlugIn Directory) which lets you select any page as events list and, at the place where you insert the code, creates that list. Leaving your text and HTML above and below untouched. You can see the list (with only one entry) under the headline "Termine" in the middle of the page.

There's a banners section below the content, and the banners now also display the events list, each of them.

Can I suppress that somehow? I'd love to see the real banner text instead of what that shortcode produces.

Thank you! 

Fritz

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

Hi Fritz,

I can see the first entry on the page, but I can't see the second entry in the banner. Can you please take a screenshot and highlight the parts we need to look at for you.

As this is a third party plugin, I would image they are saving the content as a custom post type and the shortcode then pulls that content in. Depending on how the plugin has been constructed it could be that there's something code wise in the banner area which is triggering this to be pulled in as well, the best person who would be able to answer this for sure though would be the product developer as they know which code they've added and how it behaves etc. I would advise also posting a thread on the plugin support page with a link to the site so the plugin author can take a look and advise further. 

#3 fritzfeger

fritzfeger

• Members

• 15 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hi James, thank you for your reply,

find attached the screenshot where the generated content is marked by the subtle red circles. You see it once on the page (top) as expected, but it also shows up in the banner (bottom). Interestingly, the banner title (my name in this case) is not overwritten, only the banner text. Same with every banner on that page following below the one on the screenshot.

I've posted the issue on the PlugIn developer's site, thanks for the hint.

If the problem lies where you assume it would be impossible to solve except the PlugIn author rewrites her PlugIn, right? I'll find a workaround (without banners on that page)...

Attached Files

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

Hi there, if it's only happening on the banners then if you don't use them on the pages that the events plugin is active on hopefully it shouldn't occur.

What is the code they ask you to add to the page for the plugin to be active? I don't think the dev will need to rewrite the plugin, but they might be able to provide an additional line of code you can add which will stop it overriding the banner. Also in your banner, the standard content you have inside the banner is just text? And that's whats being overwritten in each one, but the title stays? In the meta settings, the banner set you've selected is still showing the same set as before?

#5 fritzfeger

fritzfeger

• Members

• 15 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:29 AM

Hi James, the banner text is only overwritten on the page the events plugin is used; on other pages the banners work properly. The code to add to the page to activate the plugin is simply the word CONTENTS, no braces, brackets etc., in caps. The banner text has <a> tags but otherwise only text, and this is what's being overwritten whilst the title stays, exactly. The banner set selection works as expected.

Thank you for the idea with the additional line of code, I'll forward that to the plugin dev.

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

Strange, definitely sounds like their code is mimicking something which is included in the core banner code. Keep us posted let us know what the developer says.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shortcode, banners