Help, DMS is deleting stuff!

Question

Posted · Report post

Any reason why DMS would begin deleting stuff? Everything was working great until midnight, I'm in California, when it suddenly DMS deletes all my custom CSS - I haven't touched it at all tonight. Luckily I have a back-up and I copy and paste the CSS back in. Once I get that back and it deletes my fixed navigation settings - again, haven't touched that at all tonight. I get that fixed and it changes my website from percentage width to pixel. I finally had to stop because I couldn't fix the errors fast enough before something else would come undone. I've had sections vanish, but never anything like this. Please help!!!

I'm also attaching a screen shot of one of the panels. Once this began to happen, this panel changed. I've cleared cache, rebooted my machine and nothing resets this.

This is the crazy part. I correct the changes, save each one, then DMS slowly reverts its self back to the mis-configured state. Why? 

39 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Stephen - All your links apart from your image give a server 500 internal error. From the description of your issues you wrote above and the fact that you I have receiving a internal server error, for me points that the issue is server related.

Therefore, can you email me your admin username and password, when your server is back up and running so I can play about with the site and see the issue for myself.

Rob Thomas - With you being on Flywheel, I can't believe your issue is related to your server, seeing as PageLines.com is hosted by Flywheel too and our site is being changed constantly with the alpha/beta version of DMS and no settings, sections or menus are ever stripped or removed.

So can you confirm that the issues Stephen mentioned above are the same ?

Stephen, you can send me your user credentials to danny at pagelines dot com

dreamsight - DMS debug mode isn't active on your site.

Posted · Report post

Stephen - OK, so your site has just come back online and I have found that your debug info is showing something rather peculiar, the Wordpress version isn't a Wordpress version is shows three digits. However, what is peculiar about this is every time I refresh your debug info, the value changes?

So what version of Wordpress are you using and have you made any changes to core files of that Wordpress installation ?

How was it installed, was it installed manually by yourself or was it done with a one click installation from cPanel ?

Posted · Report post

I needed to eliminate as many variable as possible and moved away from the my host at the moment and developing directly my laptop.  

As for the random WP version, It's from my security plug-in. It spits out random WP versions. 

I think I've solved the issue for now. I downgraded DMS to the prior version (1.1.3) and changed themes - deleted Corporation Theme and moved over to Faithful Child - it stopped the errors for now. It has created a lot of work and I'm resetting the entire site, but it's stopped the errors. :-)

I'm migrating to my test server in a while, then to the live site - I'm not out of the woods yet so I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your response. 

Posted · Report post

OK, with you saying you have a security plugin installed, makes me ponder that may have been the cause, either that or your server. There was any changes in 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 that would cause (as far as I am aware) your sections, settings to be removed or reset. I actually tried to recreate the issue on both 1.1.3 for Rob Thomas as when he reported the issue that the latest version available.

So in my honest opinion, the issue in regards to you Stephen has to be plugin or server related. Security plugins and Cache plugins are usually not configured correctly and can cause a whole host of issues. Also, from my experience, if you require the use of a security plugin, I think they're overhype and aren't really required. If they were that good, then Wordpress would include them to the core.

If you can let us know how your new setup runs and if you encounter the issue again. Also, on your new host, try using DMS 1.1.4 and see if you encounter the issue again.

Posted · Report post

I won't argue that a security plugin or a slow server issue might and could cause a problem, but that wasn't my case. 

On Friday, I started with a fresh site, I wasn't running WP Security, Cache plug-in AND I was running completely independent of a server and I still had problems

See link: http://imgur.com/a/ojvGZ

The server issue has come up a lot in this thread. All but one of my clients use GoDaddy - what am I supposed to do? Is it practical to expect my clients to move to higher-end hosting? No, because at the end of the day I still need to eat and pay the mortgage so I'm going to work with what they have. 

If your service requires higher-end hosting, your product needs to have a disclaimer containing minimum systems, recommended system AND HOSTING REQUIREMENTS - I.e. don't use shared hosting like GoDaddy requirements at the time of purchase. It's buried in the getting started guide and still down't spell out optimal web hosting service providers.

Posted · Report post

The new setup, what was it, can you provide the specifications please. Also did you have any other plugins active ? Have you tried with a vanilla installation i.e. no plugins active, does the issue persist ?

If this isn't related to a server, then you and the other users experiencing this issue, have to be doing something in a particular way that is causing the issue, which none of us have been able to recreate and with that statement, I am not pointing fingers and saying it is your fault. All I am saying is that, we have tested this issues since it was first reported, with plugins active, on a Local MAMP installation with plugin and without plugins, tested previous versions of DMS and not once did we encounter an issue where DMS reverted settings and/or removed/deleted sections.

The only issue we encountered which has been fixed in an upcoming patch, is the saving issue with some section settings and custom CSS/LESS. 

So if you can provide an exact step by step guide, as basic as you can possibly be, so we can follow your step by step guide and hopefully recreate the problem.

DMS should work on most hosting environments, if the host can run Wordpress then there should be no issue running DMS. However, that isn't saying shared hosting is a recommend hosting environment, its cheap for a reason. As they're your clients, in my opinion its up to you to inform them that cheap shared hosting is poor and really shouldn't be used for any kind of dynamic website, because there are security risks, poor performance (effects search ranking), shared IP (most we've ever encountered was 1846 domains on the same server) as well as restricted programming meaning you can't install what you want or need.

When we tested DMS with the top 10 most used web hosts with basic shared hosting packages during beta testing, there were no issues.

Posted · Report post

dreamsight - Can you provide exact steps on how to recreate the issue, also can you reproduce it without plugins active ?

Posted · Report post

the steps - pretty self explanatory. I've done these twice now, and the content has been completely deleted below the video image and the form both times.

three columns.
first column. 
- added logo via mediabox
- below i've added a text box with a short description of what the client does etc
- below that i've added another text box or two for different styles of text and headings.

second column.

- added two pictures side by side via two mediaboxes with the width halved on each to fit

- text below each image - splift half like the images.

- repeated these^ so four mediaboxes and four textboxes below the mediaboxes in total

- below these is a textbox with a small self-made menu. (linked words basically)

third column. 
- highlight - 'some of our clients'
- below is a mediabox with logo
- below is another mediabox with logo

saved. clicked publish 3-4 times. (usually saves with something missing)
in fact on the second time i clicked publish on every little change made.

refreshed.

its all there still.

click onto 'get started' to begin making changes.
click back to home page for reference. 

everything below the top part has gone.

i'd do this again with plugins disabled but its just wasting my time. time is money ;) its not a plugin issue if about 10 or so people on this forum are saying the same thing? im beginning to think that we all need to upgrade our hosting and pay more to be able to use this product... although i dont follow why this is happening recently for so many people.

as long as i can remember its been the case where you drop a new textbox or mediabox in and there's already the text/image you last used inside it. <- saw that being bought up in another similar thread.

Posted · Report post

dreamsight - Can you make a recording of your steps above please, so I can see this first hand. You can use Jing or something similar.

Posted · Report post

Yes, but I need to launch my project first. I thought I'd be done yesterday but it looks like I won't be done until tomorrow. I've still got the old site up and I'll make a recording.  

Posted · Report post

Stephen - Thanks, we appreciate it.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny,

I always find your responses very useful mate  :thumbsu:

Have to say that this issue is a bit of a worry, but it's only happened once on two of my sites (i.e. twice in total). 

Here are the plugins which I use for http://www.fmp-ir.com

DMS professional Tools

Browser rejector

Leflet maps marker

wp image carousel

Wp video lightbox

Image carousel was added after the problem happened.

Posted · Report post

Hi James

If you notice this happen again please revert the last changes you made then try and replicate whilst recording using something like jing - http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html so we can see first hand what's happening as you make the edits.

Make sure when editing any sections that you're using the local settings not global if you don't want the changes to be sitewide or remove the previous global settings - http://screencast.com/t/uH0WhsZH.