• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS 1.1.6

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

A drag and drop editor for creating your own sections.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15194 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

What do you mean, a UI for creating sections via drag and drop, for example, drag and drop an image upload option, a text area, a title field, a button option etc..?

It's certainly possible, but something like that isn't going to be part of DMS in my opinion, we already provide an API and documentation for building custom sections. Its a great idea and I will certainly pass this onto our developers, but I can't guarantee anything will come from it.

#3 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

That's the idea. Each section must be a discrete unit of code so something must be possible and you are already part way there with drag and drop functionality and templates in DMS. Probably wouldn't be well received by external developers, but would be interesting to hear what the guys inside PL make of the suggestion.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15194 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Its certainly a good idea, but for me personally, this is what would happen if such a feature were included.

1. Developers will hate and proper developers don't need such a feature, as they prefer to create with code.

2. Novice users new to both PageLines and Wordpress, will find the whole concept confusing.

3. Advanced users will thinks its amazing, but also confusing.

For me this kind of thing would make an awesome product for the store, but shouldn't be part of the DMS. However, I will make sure our devs see this suggestions, if they haven't already.

#5 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

It would be a useful tool for all, especially users that are not developers but do some coding and would like to add extra functionality.

ie a URL entry for the Media Box, extra features for RevSlider etc

Allowing users to create standardised section parts with clean code can only be a plus. Especially if those add ons are released back into the community.

Sadly I don't think any developer would take this on and put it in the shop. So the PL dev team should look at it to benefit all. 

And not ignoring the developers - I'm sure they would benefit from the standardisation and simplicity of code production, especially those starting on that path.