3 replies to this topic

#1 janemackey

janemackey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

Hello,

I am thinking about switching from a fixed nav bar at the top of my website to using scrollspy. I understand how to do the basic implementation from the documentation but I have a few questions.

1) On a mobile device, it seems like the scrollspy navbar doesn't stay at the top with the small menu icon that I had when using the fixed navbar. How can I get this to work?

2) How can I put my logo in the scrollspy navbar?

) How can it be full width the whole time instead of only when you start scrolling?

This is all similar to wndrmnt.com that is used as an example of how one can use scrollspy navigation.

And I assume scrollspy should be at the top of the content/template area and not in the header area.

thanks for any help,

jane

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17533 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hi Jane,

1. Unfortunately the ScrollSpy section doesn't offer the same functionality as the Fixed Navigation. So this isn't possible without customizing the section itself.

2. Unfortunately, this too isn't possible.

3. Again, this would require customizing the section.

The ScrollSpy isn't a replacement or alternative to a Fixed Navbar or any standard Wordpress menu. It purpose is to quickly navigate to specific elements on your page.

#3 janemackey

janemackey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Thanks, Danny.

I don't understand when you say that it is not designed to replace the standard menu when it seems that's what a lot of the examples of scrollspy navigation exactly do. I even saw the social
share icons in the top scrollspy menu. So I assumed it would require customization and am wondering how to do it.

I'm also a bit surprised that since DMS is responsive, why it wouldn't show the scrollspy bar in a "mobile" format.

Any help in customizing would be appreciated!

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17533 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

If users have customized the ScrollSpy section to replace their navigation that is fine. However, the intention was and is for ScrollSpy to Scroll nicely to your content that you have tagged.

Also, ScrollSpy is responsive, it works perfectly on both tablet and mobile devices, just because it doesn't do what the Fixed NavBar does when viewed on a mobile device doesn't mean its not responsive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scrollspy, navbar, mobile, responsive