35 replies to this topic

#21 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15076 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Basically, there is a new setup and the only way to get all the new sections and new improvements to the current sections is to have the PageLines beta updater, which is only available to our developer community.

DMS 1.2 is now in beta, for bug fixing, if you want to take part in this, you should contact our helpdesk and they may be able to add you.

hello at pagelines dot com

#22 DannyBeckett

DannyBeckett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLiverpool
  • Framework Version:1.1.6

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

That's great, cheers @Danny! :)

#23 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 717 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

@Danny

I like the preview of what's coming.  I noticed a background image is required for the slide but under background image you can have a video so can you have a transparent slide background with text to move over the background video?

How to I join the beta group?

#24 DannyBeckett

DannyBeckett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

@jmd wrong person

Edit: never mind, I guess it was... I just got an email notification too. The answer's above though anyway.

Edited by DannyBeckett, 22 February 2014 - 09:47 PM.

#25 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 717 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

@DannyBeckett

I didn't see the answer above but if I missed please copy here.  My observation was that if the new Rev Slider "requires" a background image  for each slide and it appears to from the image.  Then is not possible to have a transparent background for a specific slide and let the Background Video or Rev Slider play through multiple slides.

#26 DannyBeckett

DannyBeckett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

@jmad About the beta group, Danny said to email hello at pagelines dot com (see here).

On your transparent background thing, you could always use a transparent PNG. There is a patch for transparent PNGs in IE if that's a concern.

#27 AntonBabich

AntonBabich

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Framework Version:Developer platform 2.0 and DMS

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

I am fairly new to web with customization. This is why I purchased Pagelines Platform Pro and now DMS 2. But in my experience of using themes from theme forest with live composer and visual composer, I can achieve just about any customization from a WYSIWGY back end and front end. Pagelines DMS 2 interface from the front end is the cleanest and easiest by far, I will give you guys that. BUT, a HUGE feature such as the Rev slider is im sorry to say is a epic fail from a feature and usability standpoint . As mentioned before, you can download the plugin from code canon and use it, but I cant get it to integrate with DMS very well. The interface from the plugin is BEAUTIFUL with 100000 more options then pagelines offers. Is there an easy way to integrate the plugin with DMS yet?

#28 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15076 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

The best and simplest method is to use a hook, you shouldn't really use a shortcode to implement things that contain JavaScript.

• AntonBabich likes this

#29 AntonBabich

AntonBabich

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:03 AM

The best and simplest method is to use a hook, you shouldn't really use a shortcode to implement things that contain JavaScript.

Thank you for a response. I am not exactly familiar with a hook. Can you send me a link to how I might be able to do so?  I went to http://docs.pageline.../advanced/hooks

and it says its not available with DMS.

#30 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15076 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

Not sure what you mean when you say it's not available with DMS ? What is not available with DMS ?

#31 AntonBabich

AntonBabich

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Not sure what you mean when you say it's not available with DMS ? What is not available with DMS ?

Well I am still fairly new to "coding" in general, that is why I like DMS. But when you said a "hook", I looked at the link i provided and it explains a hook and says not available with DMS. Can you explain how I go about using a hook for the Rev Slider?

#32 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

I think there might be some misunderstanding. 

The Hooks documentation you were linked to there is specifically for the DMS system http://docs.pageline.../advanced/hooks

The documentation is basically saying we don't support any changes to core files - please make changes to the Child Theme 

• AntonBabich likes this

#33 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 717 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

@Anton Babich  I used to think the same thing.  However, once you spend a little time with this implementation of Rev Slider, it becomes way flexible.  However, it is a bit overwhelming when you are trying to learn all the features on DMS and Rev.  I wish there was a good tutorial for it but I'll try to help here and hopefully it will save you some time and headaches.  I've been down the RevSlider plugin route with DMS1 and it didn't really work that great for me.  

Start by dropping in the Rev Slider fullwidth section/canvas.  Add your "Slide Background Image" (required).  Leave all the other options for the slide alone until you get to "Slide Extra Captions" and then add the code below. 

Breaking down this code is...  class="caption (must be included to show element) rvslide-opt1(custom CSS class provided below) sft (in animation for element, don't include if you don't want element animated).  the x, y and data speed/start are pretty straight forward.  

This is the list of animations. All the data-easing codes plus more information can be found at http://www.orbis-ing...mentation.html#!/markup.  

• animation class
    Options:
    sft - Short from Top
    sfb - Short from Bottom
    sfr - Short from Right
    sfl - Short from Left
    lft - Long from Top
    lfb - Long from Bottom
    lfr - Long from Right
    lfl - Long from Left
    fade - fading

Code for "Slide Extra Captions" area.

<div class="caption rvslide-opt1 sft"  data-x="center" data-y="100" data-speed="700" data-start="1700" data-easing="easeOutBack">KICKSTART YOUR WEBSITE</div>
   <div class="caption rvslide-opt2 lft"  data-x="center" data-y="142" data-speed="500" data-start="1900" data-easing="easeOutBack">WITH SLIDER REVOLUTION!</div>
   <div class="caption lfr rvslide-opt3"  data-x="center" data-y="210" data-speed="300" data-start="2000">UNLIMITED TRANSITIONS</div><div class="caption lfl" data-x="center" data-y="300" data-speed="500" data-start="1900" data-easing="easeOutBack"><a href="your html link"><button class="btn btn-large slider-btn btn-ol-white">Learn More</button></a><a href="reach-us/"> <button class="btn btn-large slider-btn btn-ol-white btn-left"  link="your html link">Get Started</button></a></div>

Then add this next bit of code to your custom CSS area (not in the slide but in the main CSS area).

Code for Custom CSS.  Note that you will need to change the font family(ies) to whatever fonts you might have loaded to your site. 

.rvslide-opt1 {
  font-family: 'Montez', cursive;
  font-size: 42px;
}

.rvslide-opt2 {
  font-family: 'Muli';
  font-size: 28px;
  color: #ffffff;
  background: rgba(0,0,0,0.7);
  padding-right:20px;
  padding-left: 20px;
}

.rvslide-opt3 {
  font-weight: 600;
  color: #64066d;
  background: rgba(256,256,256,0.7);
 padding:20px
}

This turns out to be a very easy/quick and powerful tool as you don't have to mess with positioning the text by sliding it around etc.  I highly recommend working with this before you go to installing RevSlider plugin.  Hope this helps.

Jason

• AntonBabich and GetMeWebDesign like this

#34 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS 1.1.6

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

@Anton Babich  I used to think the same thing.  However, once you spend a little time with this implementation of Rev Slider, it becomes way flexible.  However, it is a bit overwhelming when you are trying to learn all the features on DMS and Rev.  I wish there was a good tutorial for it but I'll try to help here and hopefully it will save you some time and headaches.  I've been down the RevSlider plugin route with DMS1 and it didn't really work that great for me.  

Start by dropping in the Rev Slider fullwidth section/canvas.  Add your "Slide Background Image" (required).  Leave all the other options for the slide alone until you get to "Slide Extra Captions" and then add the code below. 

Breaking down this code is...  class="caption (must be included to show element) rvslide-opt1(custom CSS class provided below) sft (in animation for element, don't include if you don't want element animated).  the x, y and data speed/start are pretty straight forward.  

This is the list of animations. All the data-easing codes plus more information can be found at http://www.orbis-ing...mentation.html#!/markup.  

• animation class
    Options:
    sft - Short from Top
    sfb - Short from Bottom
    sfr - Short from Right
    sfl - Short from Left
    lft - Long from Top
    lfb - Long from Bottom
    lfr - Long from Right
    lfl - Long from Left
    fade - fading

Code for "Slide Extra Captions" area.

<div class="caption rvslide-opt1 sft"  data-x="center" data-y="100" data-speed="700" data-start="1700" data-easing="easeOutBack">KICKSTART YOUR WEBSITE</div>
   <div class="caption rvslide-opt2 lft"  data-x="center" data-y="142" data-speed="500" data-start="1900" data-easing="easeOutBack">WITH SLIDER REVOLUTION!</div>
   <div class="caption lfr rvslide-opt3"  data-x="center" data-y="210" data-speed="300" data-start="2000">UNLIMITED TRANSITIONS</div><div class="caption lfl" data-x="center" data-y="300" data-speed="500" data-start="1900" data-easing="easeOutBack"><a href="your html link"><button class="btn btn-large slider-btn btn-ol-white">Learn More</button></a><a href="reach-us/"> <button class="btn btn-large slider-btn btn-ol-white btn-left"  link="your html link">Get Started</button></a></div>

Then add this next bit of code to your custom CSS area (not in the slide but in the main CSS area).

Code for Custom CSS.  Note that you will need to change the font family(ies) to whatever fonts you might have loaded to your site. 

.rvslide-opt1 {
  font-family: 'Montez', cursive;
}

.rvslide-opt2 {
  font-size: 28px;
  color: #ffffff;
  background: rgba(0,0,0,0.7);
  padding-right:20px;
  padding-left: 20px;
}

.rvslide-opt3 {
  font-weight: 600;
  color: #64066d;
  background: rgba(256,256,256,0.7);
 padding:20px
}

This turns out to be a very easy/quick and powerful tool as you don't have to mess with positioning the text by sliding it around etc.  I highly recommend working with this before you go to installing RevSlider plugin.  Hope this helps.

Jason

Pagelines DMS is missing something very significant. You have to separate the design from the content editing.

There's absolutely no way a client is going to be willing or able to edit that.

• AntonBabich and imagineutopia like this

#35 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 717 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

@paul_t

I agree.  I also agree that clients do need to be able to edit parts of their site.  Although with any theme I think there are obstacles to the client doing that well and consistently.  When I've used a Themeforest theme that clients had decided to build off of and built pages with shortcodes layered inside of shortcodes...possibly multiple layers, clients tend to be a little overwhelmed by the amount of text present that they need to sort through.

Also, somehow the distinction between the Visual and Text editor seems to catch clients and errors have to be addressed.  

In the post above, I was just trying to share with Anton how to approach Rev Slider in DMS before paying for and installing RevSlider plugin as my experience with it combined with DMS1 wasn't outstanding.

• AntonBabich likes this

#36 AntonBabich

AntonBabich

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

@paul_t

I agree.  I also agree that clients do need to be able to edit parts of their site.  Although with any theme I think there are obstacles to the client doing that well and consistently.  When I've used a Themeforest theme that clients had decided to build off of and built pages with shortcodes layered inside of shortcodes...possibly multiple layers, clients tend to be a little overwhelmed by the amount of text present that they need to sort through.

Also, somehow the distinction between the Visual and Text editor seems to catch clients and errors have to be addressed.  

In the post above, I was just trying to share with Anton how to approach Rev Slider in DMS before paying for and installing RevSlider plugin as my experience with it combined with DMS1 wasn't outstanding.

Thank you guys for the input. I actually was using theme forest themes for fast and easy basic development and love the implementation of DMS. I already have the rev slider plugin from other themes that it came with and even playing with all the code that jmed showed (thank you by the way) and on the plugin site, its still frustrating compared to the plugins interface in the back end of wordpress. Its visual and instant for showing what you are doing and I have 20+ png files with animation that I could build in an hour and with DMS and inputing the code, I keep screwing up because theres to much. I am not very familiar with the hook process and doing like the code editing for the slider, I just want to be able to create a slider (example: [rev-home] ) and input that code into the page or canvas area of page lines DMS and just edit it from the back end like it was with the plugin. I was using Adava theme with Live Composer plugin (similar to page lines front end editing) and debating going back just for the damn slider! lol