• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS 1.1.6

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Adding content to rev slider beyond a small amount of text and a fixed link appears to require hand coding the content based on going to a third party site and basically working out how to do it your self.

Styling the slider is very much the same.

It either needs better documentation with examples of customisation or more options in the slider UI.

• mrmiyamoto likes this

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

HI,

The RevSlider documentation we link to isn't a third party its the documentation for the RevSlider itself, the inline documentation explains this "Rev slider is based on Revolution Slider, a jQuery plugin. "

Also, if you're after adding custom things to the RevSlider section, then of course you're going to need to use code. We prefer to have all sections and options simplistic, so that it doesn't confuse the masses and cause bloat, which just leads to more confusion.

If you do not like the way the RevSlider section functions, there is a plugin version which has lots of customization options, you can view that plugin here - http://codecanyon.ne...-plugin/2751380

#3 novusweb

novusweb

• Members

• 10 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS Pro

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

I went and bought the Revolution slider plugin at CodeCanyon, but the js gets <p> tags inserted throughout it, and it throws errors.

Furthermore, inserting the shortcode in a Text Box means we can't have a full width slider using this plugin.

Strangely enough, DMS does not have any great slider add-ons. The ones Hansson produces are equally lacking in features (no setting for slide duration??).

Looks like an opportunity for someone to rise to the occasion here.

• imagineutopia likes this

#4 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

I sincerely hope that more options are added internally. Otherwise you end up with a system that relies on 3rd party developers and essentially becomes a collection of add ons.

#5 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

@novusweb

If you wish to implement the Revolution Slider to your site correctly i.e. you shouldn't really be using a shortcode in a TextBox, MediaBox or FullBox, it needs to be added via a hook.

See our developers reply to my reported issue on our tracker regarding sliders shortcodes in the TextBox/MediaBox section - https://github.com/p.../DMS/issues/329

@paul_t

I honestly can't see more options being added, especially when you add any element you like via the additional options area. This makes the RevSlider section extremely powerful, as you can add and position images, text, links and other media to your slider with relative ease, once you have a basic understanding of the concept.

#6 artelisys

artelisys

• Members

• 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

What about alternate text fields; no option for this.

#7 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

If there were a more extensive set of controls for the additional options that would be welcome. As it is, clients aren't going to use anything that isn't in the default interface, and learning extra code rather does defeat the whole point of DMS.

• lotussocial likes this

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

@artelisys You can add anything you like from image(s), text, alternative text via the additional options area.

@paul_t

Not sure why your client would be touching the website though, you as their developer should be doing this shouldn't you ? The only thing your client could/should be adding to the site is posts or pages, that way they don't need to touch code ? If they're going to be touching code what is the point in hiring someone to do for them ?

For example, if I had a client or clients, I design a concept of their site based on the colors scheme and layouts they prefer, then when created, I maintain the site. I create them an account that has limited access so they can create pages/posts, delete pages/post and nothing more. If they want anything adding that will require custom code, they hire me again or include it in your fee or is that not how you work ?

I mean, I have friends that charge a fixed fee for site design and then after a monthly fee for hosting and maintaining the website. 

#9 artelisys

artelisys

• Members

• 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Understood; I suppose I should have been more clear. I have been seeing more and more posts from less experienced developers, and their exception is there should be an option (maybe they are doing this as a side job or just helping a friend out, who knows). I can only presume that they might be expecting to see a input box labeled "Alternate text". If not an option, maybe some more detail on the "More Info" explaining that they have the ability to add attributes to this area as well. Another thing, you mention additional options area, I am assuming you are referring to "Slide Extra Elements". 

The tagline on the main site is and was very clear to me "Use Drag and Drop and WordPress to create 100% pro, mobile-ready sites without coding." I can understand some parts might require coding or some customization; however, something as simple as ALT text which is somewhat important for SEO, IMHO, that should be an option to the image that you are adding to the slide. There are other plugins too, that do not have this ability; also some references from other users in other posts. I know you can't build ever option as an input, but I believe better documentation is required if you are building an application that you are really attracting more non-developers then anything.

• lotussocial and suecockburn like this

#10 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

@artelisys You can add anything you like from image(s), text, alternative text via the additional options area.

@paul_t

Not sure why your client would be touching the website though, you as their developer should be doing this shouldn't you ? The only thing your client could/should be adding to the site is posts or pages, that way they don't need to touch code ? If they're going to be touching code what is the point in hiring someone to do for them ?

For example, if I had a client or clients, I design a concept of their site based on the colors scheme and layouts they prefer, then when created, I maintain the site. I create them an account that has limited access so they can create pages/posts, delete pages/post and nothing more. If they want anything adding that will require custom code, they hire me again or include it in your fee or is that not how you work ?

I mean, I have friends that charge a fixed fee for site design and then after a monthly fee for hosting and maintaining the website. 

Clients do need to use DMS - of they are not going to be to change things like the content of iBoxes or the images in their sliders?

#11 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

@paul_t - This is what I was referring to above, why are you clients even touching things like iBoxes etc.. ? I have never heard of a client who hired someone to design/develop their website, but is required to make changes themselves, upon site design completion ?

The only thing they would probably do is update their blog, this is what I was referring to above.

#12 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Danny - I'm missing something here

If you design a home page with iboxes. Those boxes are going to be updated by the client.

They are not static bits of text to stay there forever

If you have a slider - those images ned to be updateable by the client

None of my clients just update a blog, they want control over their content

• lotussocial and suecockburn like this

#13 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

If they want control over their content, ideally you should set it so that the Boxes update themselves similar with the Slider. Usually the only thing a client does when their site has been developed, is update a blog/news etc..

They generally don't need to make changes everywhere, not in my experience anyway. I am not saying that my way is right, its just thats how I have always worked and how others I know work too. If they want to make changes i.e. not news/blog/post related then you should offer this service to them, your missing out on some extra income. Like I mentioned above, offer a service to maintain their websites for them, the last thing most clients want to do is mess around with their website, when they don't usually know what it is they're doing.

Some of my mates provide this service for £10-20 per month or a fixed hourly rate when the client wants changes.

Can you tell me what it is they want to change or could change in both the Boxes and RevSlider please, as its probably something I could add to our tracker as feature request.

#14 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

I do exactly that for a couple of clients - fixed fee - keep  bits and bobs updated.

This client wants control over all content on the page, they have two people in the office ready to do it.

So it would be info Boxes - edit contents

Sliders - edit images and links

all other text areas - editable via widgets or text boxes

Callout - editable text and link

Any item with a link needs to be accessible with support for alt etc

Essentially, everything that involves content management

The only thing they don't want to edit is the style of the page. That said, if someone wanted to add a couple of text boxes or a callout - then thats what a good CMS should be capable of. Having written PHP pages that automated some of this is the past  I can see the huge advantage of drag and drop. 

• suecockburn likes this

#15 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Bottom line - what DMS needs is to have all its content editable via pages or posts, otherwise there is this strange never never land that the content is edited in more than one place and is restricted to one browser and relies on the editor being competent and confident in editing code (beyond short codes)  i.e. even adding a link to a text box requires a client to know HTML - and thats a non starter in many cases.

Classic example is this section. Anything beyond the default interface parameters requires the use of 'optional' code and therefore relies on the 'editor' to have coding experience - completely against the whole point of keeping the content editing in Wp 'simple'. 

Its strange - the design management system has done wonders for page layout, but the content management of sites has been made far more complicated by DMS, along with loosing some of the necessary accessibility options.  

I'd be so bold  to suggest DMS needs a radical change - keep the 'content' management in WP and the Design in DMS.

• imagineutopia likes this

#16 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 867 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

@paul_t

I agree, Rev Slider needs to be more useable for the client.  At a minimum the client needs to be able to sub out shortcodes for sliders that have been pre designed for them.  

As far as giving adding anything you want to the slider.  Could you give examples of that using images or providing a video?  I'm interested to see how you would center the text, add additional layers with image and motion applied, change background of text or font.  Rev Slider is super easy to use so why reinvent the wheel for DMS...UNLESS you are going to make it better.  Better, Rev slider above fixed menu that the menu and rest of page can scroll over, control of Rev Slider text, layers, images etc integrated into DMS Visual editor.

It's disappointing at the least to here you say that Rev Slider within DMS won't make the developers' list when so many DMS users are asking for it.  

Regarding clients wanting to update there content.  Yes they do.   Is it possible to lock clients out of the Visual Editor as far as customization but still let them access the content in a text box or other elements?

#17 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Sneak Peak - In 1.2 RevSlider will be more flexible - http://cl.ly/image/361e1p3D3p34

#18 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

Good to hear features are being added to DMS rather than being left to paying more to developers for anything mildy above the free version.

#19 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

What do you mean ?

#20 DannyBeckett

DannyBeckett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLiverpool
  • Framework Version:1.1.6

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

@Danny, is there any way I could get a patch just for RevSlider?

The functionality in your image is exactly what I need... don't want to wait!  :)

I checked the 1.1 tree in GitHub, but it hasn't been updated in a while. I also checked the 1.2 tree, but revslider seems to have been deleted there.

Thanks!

Edited by DannyBeckett, 17 February 2014 - 08:11 AM.