• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS 1.1.6

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

Having to hard code a Hyperlink is fine for a developer.

But for a client adding or editing content - it can be a step too far.

Most notices/boxes etc will lead to further information.

Suggest a one click 'add url' solution to be added to all content areas.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15120 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

HI,

What do you mean by all content areas ?

#3 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:17 AM

Coming back to Pagelines after a long break  - now looking at DMS - forgive the lack of appropriate terms.

From what I can see with DMS you have a lot of options to add various boxes displaying text info all over the site. But none provide options for adding Hyperlinks*. I can see very few instances where a client will want to have a box that has text and no link to further content. And clients being clients - no one's going to want to copy hyperlink code - hence the request for an easy way to add such.

*fixed (limited) button(s) on some

• treadwellimages likes this

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15120 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

You already can with iBoxes, the TextBox is supposed to house Text and basic shortcodes for buttons etc.. and the Mediabox is supposed to house videos, images and HTML.

We've had a product before which had hundreds of options of just colors and then majority of users found these to be confusing. So we prefer to have as very few options as possible and have a less bloated product.

You can add this to our tracker if you like and myself or someone else can mark it as a enhancement. You're also free to create your own section or a child section and add these options yourself.

https://github.com/p...ines/DMS/issues

#5 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hi Danny

Fully appreciate keeping things simple and don't want every option under the sun - just the ability to add the most fundamental item i.e. the Hyperlink wherever you can add text.

Thanks for feedback. Will add to the tracker.

#6 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

Github newb - added an issue but it doesn't appear in the issues list - posted twice just to check.

Doest it need authorising or something? For future ref - please advise. 

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15120 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

No authorization is required, I can see both your issues, therefore I have closed one of them.

https://github.com/p...ines/DMS/issues

Also, you sort of conflict your own request, you say its one of the most fundamental items in HTML, well if anybody wishes to create/design their own website, they should have a basic understanding of HTML/CSS. Therefore, adding a hyperlink should be a simple task.

Don't get me wrong I understand what you're saying in regards to making it easy to add hyperlinks, but some sections have multiple elements, with your proposal it sounds as though you want these hyperlink checkboxes everywhere ?

Also, what happens when a user want to:

* Open the link in a new tab

* Give that a link a class

* Give it a name

* A title

Adding a simple checkbox to create a link won't suffice, as users will always want to add something, that is why using basic HTML is the best option. As it removes the potential bloat.

#8 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

One (drop down) box doesn't bloat the interface ;).  DMS is all about empowering the user, why take them back to the stone age and make them hand code something? - it just jars against the whole approach IMHO. The options above would take care of something that is done again and again on sites. Clients hate dealing with code - to the extent of loosing a job because of it. Please consider this request.

#9 Mark & Phil

Mark & Phil

Advanced Member

• Members

• 69 posts
  • LocationPoughkeepsie, NY
  • Framework Version:1.1.1

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:09 AM

@paul_t you're totally right and this is one of the road blocks that we came into immediately when we started using DMS.

We were able to use the Enhanced Options Editor, which makes you capable of adding HTML via a lightbox WYSIWYG on any content area. http://www.pagelines...options-editor/

Hope that helps!

#10 spunkybean

spunkybean

• Members

• 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:58 AM

How do you add a hyperlink to the Header?

#11 paul_t

paul_t

• Members

• 157 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

@paul_t you're totally right and this is one of the road blocks that we came into immediately when we started using DMS.

We were able to use the Enhanced Options Editor, which makes you capable of adding HTML via a lightbox WYSIWYG on any content area. http://www.pagelines...options-editor/

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the link

Will certainly take a look. Must admit to finding this lack of functionality frustrating  - especially after shelling out for a developer subscription.