#1 ewatchman

ewatchman

Advanced Member

• Members

• 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Framework Version:1.4.1

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

I am in the process of moving to WordPress and DMS pro. I have about a dozen pages on my site that use different templates to display several hundred posts. Somehow a custom template page has now become the default page for virtually every post on the site. Even though in admin the pages are set to their respective templates and the post filter on each page is set to its respective category of posts, when individual posts are clicked, no matter in the front end or backend, they all resolve to the same page. I suspect I inadvertently made that the default global template. My question is, how do I undo it? I tried reverting to the last unpublished version, but that didn't fix it. Should I simply delete the template that keeps popping up as last imported template? 

Thanks

#2 ewatchman

ewatchman

Advanced Member

• Members

• 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

I might add just to clarify, it does not matter that the post url displays in the browser window, the posts do not display. Only the same page appears regardless of the url. It's crazy

#3 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Hi,

Basically, you're not able to select templates from the Wordpress Pages template drop down menu in DMS. If you want to assign a template to a page, you simply need to go to that page in the DMS visual editor > Templates > Assign Template or create your own template.

If you want change your global template you can do this by going to DMS Toolbar > Templates > Select the template of choice and then click the drop down icon and then make that template the global template.

#4 ewatchman

ewatchman

Advanced Member

• Members

• 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Okay, here is the deal. I created several custom templates for specific pages. They worked fine, for awhile. Then, I did something, I don't know what, but now every post resolves to the custom template page. I am talking several hundred posts all resolve to the page I created with the custom template. I have changed the page template in the Admin panel. I even deleted the custom template. It didn't matter. The template still appears. I deactivated the Flatten theme and activated the Headlines theme and all the posts still resolve to the now deleted template I created in Flatten. I have, of course, deleted the cache and republished. Nothing removes the template bug. I suspect the only way to resolve this is to uninstall Flatten and PageLines DMS and start over. I wanted to get some input from the pros first though. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by ewatchman, 24 December 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#5 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

If you go to one of your Posts and then begin to create a layout or a custom template (make sure Type is selected), then save that layout and assign it to your post. As long as Type is select in the left hand panel when editing your sections, this layout will be universal across the Posts type pages. What this does is allows you to have different templates for different custom post types.

The only way your posts template can be assigned to a custom template that you have created is by you actually setting that template to your posts.

#6 ewatchman

ewatchman

Advanced Member

• Members

• 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

I don't get it. When you refer to "type" in the left hand panel, I don't see it. In the DMS template editor the left hand column only has two options: YOUR TEMPLATES and SAVE NEW TEMPLATE. The baffling problem I am encountering is that if I set up a template for a specific post and save it, that template then applies to every post, even though in the editor header at the top of other posts it shows that the last imported template is something different. I guess my question is, how is it possible to assign a custom template to a specific range of posts assigned to a category and not have all posts default to that template? Is this done in the backend, in the WP editor? 

Your last statement: "The only way your posts template can be assigned to a custom template that you have created is by you actually setting that template to your posts," are you saying that each post must individually be opened in the DMS editor and assigned a specific template? Thanks

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

What I mean't by Type and Local is this:

When you edit a post, you can have the option to either set those sections options based on the Post Type or just for that post in general. If you view my image below, you can see on the left hand side Type and Local.

http://d.pr/i/3BXq

Unfortunately, you can't assign individual templates to individual posts.

#8 ewatchman

ewatchman

Advanced Member

• Members

• 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Okay, I see that within the Content/Post Loop section. I guess I am at a loss as to what a post type is. 

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

Basically Wordpress since 3.0 I think, has allowed you create multiple Post types, which give you a lot of freedom. Posts are on post type i.e. Post, Pages are another post type i.e. Page.

These post types can be anything, you could for example, create a Post type specifically for Movies, then create multiple taxonomies for Director, Actor, Actress and so forth. You can do the same for Books too.

For more information on Post types and what they're see here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types

#10 ewatchman

ewatchman

Advanced Member

• Members

• 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Okay, Danny. Thanks. That is helpful. It would have helped me if I had been familiar with WP before working with Pagelines. But like I said, I am new to both. So, I am flopping around quite a bit. So, If I understand you correctly, if I go back into the WP end and change the Type on various post entires, then I can have the various types of post displayed on different assigned templates. Is that it? 

#11 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

You can't create multiple Post types via Wordpress, you will need to install a plugin to do that for you, unless you prefer to code them yourself.

I would recommend the Custom Post Types UI plugin - http://wordpress.org...m-post-type-ui/

Once you have created your custom post types, you can view them like you would your normal posts. I highly recommend you just give it a go, as its difficult to explain, so creating them and seeing them first hand is in my opinion the best course of action.

#12 ewatchman

ewatchman

Advanced Member

• Members

• 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

Okay, so it sounds like I am back to square one. So, basically, what I am getting from you is that without a special plugin or code injection there is no simple way to have some posts display on one template, and other posts display on another. Is that it? If all posts can only display on the same template that is good to know. I'll stop trying to do the impossible and stop wasting your time. 

Edited by ewatchman, 27 December 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#13 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Well you can use categories and tags thats what there mean't for. If you categorise your posts and use tags, you can then add tag pages and category pages to your menu, these pages will only display the posts that have been added to that category or have those tags assigned to them.

I recommend you review the Wordpress Codex for categories and tags.

http://en.support.wo...sts/categories/

http://en.support.wo...com/posts/tags/

#14 ewatchman

ewatchman

Advanced Member

• Members

• 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

I have tagged and categorized every post. I have set specific pages to appear in the top menu. And I have assigned a template for each page and filters to include only the category of posts corresponding to that page. Still, I am confronted with the same issue. How do you make a template apply to a specific page. I have saved custom templates for each page, but whatever template I save for a specific page then becomes the global template for every page. Previously I thought it had to do with individual posts needing their own template. Now I see that the problem is that it is impossible to have pages displaying on different templates. I don't understand the point of having different templates if you can only display one site-wide

#15 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16247 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Categories and other special pages can not have at this moment in time dynamic templates, meaning one category can not have one template and another category have another.

Also, the Header and Footer area are global template area, this means that if you place all your sections in the Header or Footer area, these sections will be visible throughout your site. So you could well be adding these sections here which makes it look as though all your pages are assigned the same template, when actually they aren't.

#16 fiona

fiona

• Members

• 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

Hi! I'm new to DMS and I'm having the exact same issue as ewatchman experienced. I've laid out my home page in DMS and took notice of the "custom" in "last imported template" at the top of the design window. I didn't think about it until I went to lay out a new page ("economics"). After saving and publishing the new page, I returned to the home page and everything is messed up. I then fixed the home page and saved it as a new template. After returning again to the economics page, I saw that it also lost the layout - even though the template style is "custom." My two pages seem to be linked - and I'm not sure why! Whatever I do to one, impacts the other even though they both should be affiliated with different templates. Both page templates seem to revert to "custom," which is not in my list of templates. I'm chasing my tail here! Please note, I've checked to ensure I didn't set sections in header and footer areas. I'm using the Sophistique child theme. My goal is to set my home page to a designated layout and the economics page to a completely different layout. I've read over the answers above and they don't seem to solve the problem. I'm convinced there's an easier answer as everyone seems to have different page styles on their DMS web sites. What am I overlooking? I'm grateful for any insight!! Thank you!

#17 ewatchman

ewatchman

Advanced Member

• Members

• 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Fiona

After grappling with the problem for awhile, I think part of the problem is the drag and drop system itself. If you are not really, really careful you can drop a section into a menu, which then hyperlinks things in a very odd way. You might think it just didn't do anything and so you drag and drop a section again until it goes where you want. But what I found is, that, the drag and drop that did not seem to work actually injected code into the menu system and created all kinds of screwy behaviors. The way to avoid that is to check and double check everything before you hit the publish changes button. If you do not publish you can always undo everything, globally or local changes in the DMS editor. But once you hit the publish button there is no way to undo a bugaboo. I would suggest deleting the theme and then reinstalling it fresh. 

• fiona likes this

#18 fiona

fiona

• Members

• 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

Thanks, ewatchman! I was thinking I may have to start over, as well. And now that I think about it, I did attempt quite a few drag and drops that seemed to go nowhere. And as I'm paranoid about losing content, I'm a real fan of frequent publishing. Though I'm sorry for your trouble, I was relieved to see your post because every time I saw "custom" at the top of the design window, I thought I was going crazy! ;-)