• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chromer_fishing

chromer_fishing

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Framework Version:Platform

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

I've built three sites using PlatformPro.  Initial it took some time to figure out but they system works very well, it is actually very simple and has created great results.

Curious about Pagelines new DMS system I purchased the Business package, thinking I'd use it on all my sites.  I thought I'd test it on a site that is of least importance, meaning I could mess around with it a bit and not worry that I was losing customers.  So I uploaded and started working on it.

I am by no means a website guru, I've built a few with the ease of Wordpress but that's it.  I cut and paste an odd bit of html and I sort of understand how it all works.  I'm probably your average user who knows the basics. 

Understanding DMS is a new system, both on the market and new to me I got to work.  Here's a few notes from using DMS vs PlatformPro that were my personal experiences.  I may be wrong on points so don't give me a hard time, it's just how I found it all to work...

What I didn't like comparing the two….

1.  I didn't realize DMS was a theme, I though it was a system that could be used directly with PlatformPro.  I uploaded DMS and everything on my site changed.

2.  I found DMS really limiting in what I could do with HTML, images, etc.  It was almost as though everything I knew about Wordpress was left out of the equation and an entirely new system was in place.

3.  The load time for the DMS Editor was too long, it felt like it was lagging and that I could have done WP updates quicker with PlatformPro.

4.  Content erased in text boxes, media boxes, etc. when I forgot to publish and there was no prompt to 'are you sure you want to leave page' without saving what you had done.  This burnt a bunch of my time.  

5.  A lot of my previous site had been built using PlatformPro boxes (soapbox, etc.) and they didn't transfer over to DMS and I couldn't find their content anywhere so I ended up having to rewrite everything.  Maybe there is a way to find it?

6.  Local and Global options.  Found this option irritating and I kept going back and forth trying to make them coincide because I didn't want to display anything different globally.

7.  Sections seems very cookie cutter.  Be great if there was more options for each sections.  Felt like I added a section there wasn't much I could do with it to make it my own.

8.  MediaBox and Hero sections have photos but you can't link them to other pages.  Don't people click on photos to navigate through a site?

9.  DMS doesn't instil SEO confidence.  I donno if that is true or not, just how I felt about it, because nothing was actually WP, just felt like putting a bunch of sticky notes on Wordpress and never really knowing how they actually worked with the page in terms of headers, keywords, etc.

10.  Charging $59 for a theme after buying DMS was too much, I didn't bother and probably have a more boring website cause of it.

11.  My account didn't sync to give me access to the business DMS forum, I emailed but got no response so I couldn't get in there to look at topics and get info.  Too bad, just figured it out on my own.

What I DID like...

1.  Full page slider, that was easy to do, haven't figured out how to do that on my Pagelines site, even with WOW slider.

2.  Mobile version looks AWESOME and is super easy to use and navigate and it didn't have to do anything to make that happen, just showed up on my phone like that.

3.  The ProPricing section is very useful.  

4.  Animation of boxes, pricing etc. is great, makes it look very professional.  Fade them in to a page, love that.

I am doubtful I'll use DMS on my other two sites, too many changes came from switching from PlatformPro to DMS and it seems like a lot of work.  If you haven't used Pagelines PlatformPro and are looking for a simple system the DMS is simple, it just might give you a website that looks like everyone else's who bought DMS.  

Just my two cents!

#2 jurnei

jurnei

• Members

• 7 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:25 AM

Very nicely said Chromer Fishing, I have more harsh words to say for pagelines.

Developing pagelines pro, charging monthly, charging for additional plugs/themes, and then suddenly - oops! We're not updating that anymore!  < more than a flakey business practice, irresponsible and not trustworthy at all.  Actually it appears "just send us the monthly while we dabble with the next project we'll leave you high and dry with".  

Will this "new" framework be updated?  Or are customers to pay more monthly money, in addition to more money one actually wants a theme or a plug in, that will again eventually leave them with products/plug-ins that are out of date and causing havoc with wordpress upgrades?  

The way it stands now, all the neat plug-ins are gone, DMS appears to be bare bones, as discussed in the post above, options within sections/etc are limited as noted in post above, creativity has left this group.....is there some reason the DMS framework is needed and then why at these high prices?

I have already sent two emails over the past few days and have not received a response.  I have a major glitch with DMS/Headlines theme that prohibits me from any further work designing a website.  So disgusted, I'm about ready to scrap it and find another theme elsewhere.

#3 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15120 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

@chromer_fishing

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it.

1. You have me slightly confused with your statement, with DMS being a theme, DMS isn't a theme its a Design Management System. You actually say this in the sentence above this question.  Understanding DMS is a new system, both on the market and new to me I got to work.

Platform Pro isn't new to the market, it has been available for over 3 years, it is now considered a legacy theme and is no longer supported by our staff. Platform Pro is now available on GitHub and has been released as an Open Source theme.

2. What do you mean ? There are more options at your disposal than Platform Pro and Wordpress itself. In Wordpress you can only add images to pages/posts using the content editor and widgets. In DMS you can add images the same as I mention in Wordpress and use the MediaBox. So how is that limiting ? You can also add images via hooks.

3. The load time isn't DMS specific, this has been improved (as far as I know) in an upcoming update. However, if the DMS visual editor is lagging, then this is most certainly related to your hosting. When I did a reverse IP check on the domain you have in your private URL field, it returned with an error saying service timed out. This makes me think that you're probably on a server that has tight security or shared hosting with tons of sites.

4. If you were not prompted, then the changes were saved.

5. SoapBoxes uses now deprecated functions from PageLines Framework that were removed/not added in DMS so that section like others such as Features, Boxes, Banners, Branding etc.. will not work in DMS. However, you can easily recreate the SoapBoxes section amongst other using some HTML or shortcodes. For example, from what I can remember the SoapBoxes section only added buttons with links to the Boxes section.

6. Why is the options Local and Global irritating, they allow you to display content either globally or local to that page/post ? So if you want all your content Global, use Global ?

7. When PlatformPro was our active product, tons of users found the amount of options confusing especially the Color Management options. When viewing the feedback from Platform Pro, we found this to be consistent with users feedback. So we decided to not make any future products bloated with options upon options, we did this in PageLines Framework and in DMS. 

8. I can't recall anytime I have clicked an image to navigate somewhere else. The only time I click an image is to view a larger version of that image. However, the MediaBox offers a HTML text area option which you can use to create an image link.

9. DMS uses HTML5 tags, so its better for SEO than Platform Pro when it comes to website crawling and indexing. Most SEO plugins for Wordpress analyze the page/post content written in the Wordpress content editor and nothing else. Google and other bots see your page as text, so when you add text to a MediaBox and so forth using the DMS editor the bot will see it, as its text. So not sure what you mean, in regards to sticky notes?

10. We do not charge $59 for a theme, the themes we currently provide a free such as PrettyPhoto etc.. We do not force developers prices, they set themselves.

11. Our technical forums have instructions on how to sync your accounts, if you followed these instructions and it didn't work. Then its likely you have two different email addresses in use, one you used to purchase DMS and the other on your forum account. What email address did you use to contact us and how did you contact us using our contact us form ?

In regards to your comment about switching from Platform Pro and DMS and the number of changes, this would occur if you were planning on changing to any theme. These changes aren't specific to DMS, DMS and Platform Pro are too completely separate products and have no relationship with one another. Also, I don't agree that all sites created with DMS lookalike, there are hundreds of sites that I have seen that look nothing like one another that have been created using DMS. Whats funny is that I have the same view of sites using Platform Pro, I can tell as soon as a site is loaded if it is using Platform Pro or not. I don't even need to view the source code.

@jurnei

This isn't a flakey business practice, not sure you think that it's irresponsible and not trustworthy at all. Do you say the same thing to Apple when they refuse to allow a old device upgrade to IOS 7 ? Do you also receive a free upgrade to to the iPhone 5s from the iPhone 5, no you don't, this is just how things work.

Platform Pro is no longer supported because it was wrote over 3 years ago and technology has moved forward with things such as HTML5, CSS3, LESS CSS processors, images created using icons such as Font Awesome and so forth. The same thing has happened to PageLines Framework, which is still supported and will receive updates for fixes to make sure it works with the latest Wordpress version, but is now feature frozen. In regards to your comment about the PageLines store, this was because the store developers were solely focusing on DMS. If you were paying a monthly fee when using PageLines Framework, all these users were migrated to the monthly subscription for DMS at no additional cost, as far as I am aware.

Platform Pro was maintained, received updates, new features for nearly 3 years.
PageLines Framework is still supported, will received maintenance fixes, bug fixes, but is now feature frozen. As of Decemeber 8th 2013, PageLines Framework was 2 years old.

Will this "new" framework be updated?  Or are customers to pay more monthly money, in addition to more money one actually wants a theme or a plug in, that will again eventually leave them with products/plug-ins that are out of date and causing havoc with wordpress upgrades?  

Not sure what you mean by this, are referring to DMS when you say will this Framework be updated ? Of course it will, it has already received about ten or more updates fixes issues, bugs as well add adding some features from user feedback. Also not sure what you mean by one actually wants a theme or a plugin, can you elaborate on this please.

As we have already released four child themes already such as PrettyPhoto.

What neat plugins are you referring too ?

Browser Specific CSS, ActionMap, PageLines DMS, LazyLoad are all included in the DMS Pro Plugin. Things such as ContentBox, Branding, BrandingNav, Banners, Boxes, Features and so forth are no longer needed in DMS, as you can create them yourself by positioning different sections.

You contact our helpdesk and haven't received a response ? Can you reply here with the email address you used please. Also, please be aware that our helpdesk isn't for technical support, they only respond to account/billing issues and pre-sales questions.

#4 trisquelmedia

trisquelmedia

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

sorry for the refloating, but you say you want to "but is now feature frozen" about Pagelines Framework Updates , why is frozen?
I'm no expert developer, but Pagelines Framework begins to become obsolete with some new plugin updates, problem seems with jquerys libraries, they require an update following wordpress current libraries standars.. but you say that those things are not going to update anymore...but on the other hand you say you're going to do maintenance and fixes and still supported, I think everyone understands that there is a new product and new functionalities are not implemented in Pagelines Framework anymore, but it is becoming more frequent updating plugins stop workinging and  in the plugin support forums they only answer they follow current standard wordpress and your theme libraries must be updated. Following the example of the iphone, it is possible that new updates can not execute or access to new features, but the applications will not stop working.

Is my opinion

Thank you.

regards

#5 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15120 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

Not sure what you mean.

Basically, PageLines Framework is still supported, meaning our staff will reply to questions, issues about PageLines Framework on the forum, it also means that should an update to Wordpress nuke PageLines Framework, our developers will provide a maintenance update allowing for compatibility with Wordpress once more.

However, our developers will not update PageLines Framework if a third party plugin no longer works nor will they update, if there is a minor bug. The main focus is on DMS.

Also, your analogy doesn't really make much sense? The iPhone and PageLines Framework are too completely different products, I was using the iPhone as an example in a business model. However, I could of used a car, a TV, a washing machine, a computer and so.

For example, you purchased a car last year, a new model of that car is released, you can't go to the car manufacturer and say, listen, I want a free upgrade to the latest model, they will laugh at you. The same goes for a computer, a new CPU is released, you don't go to Intel and say, Hi, give me the latest Intel CPU please and so on...

However, if you want to use the iPhone in your analogy, then yes you can continue to run your iPhones applications without having the latest version of iOS. However, the same can be said about PageLines Framework, you can run your favourite plugins if you do not update them too. So not really sure what you were trying to say in your above statement.

#6 bhmedia

bhmedia

Advanced Member

• Members

• 46 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

Well said Danny...

As a web designer, DMS has helped shave hours off of my work time. Yes, your website will look cookie cutter if you don't apply any of your own shortcodes or CSS to it -- they can't make a million different variants of the product. It's up to you -- as a web developer -- to learn your craft and stop using DMS as a cheap way out. Utilizing some very basic skills, one can create awesomely unique websites with DMS. Any legitimate web designer can make back 3 to 4 years of the annual DMS subscription fee easily with one client or project.

Keep up the good work guys! 

• James B and bjs198 like this

#7 bjs198

bjs198

Advanced Member

• Members

• 78 posts
  • LocationTianjin, PRC
  • Framework Version:DMS 2.x

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:07 AM

Well said Danny...

As a web designer, DMS has helped shave hours off of my work time. Yes, your website will look cookie cutter if you don't apply any of your own shortcodes or CSS to it -- they can't make a million different variants of the product. It's up to you -- as a web developer -- to learn your craft and stop using DMS as a cheap way out. Utilizing some very basic skills, one can create awesomely unique websites with DMS. Any legitimate web designer can make back 3 to 4 years of the annual DMS subscription fee easily with one client or project.

Keep up the good work guys! 

+1