Page Speed - Reducing HTTP Requests?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi Team, 

Ok, I have done several site with DMS now. A few have been slightly slow, but generally pretty good (under 5 seconds). I have this one site the is loading horribly slow (originally close to 20 seconds). I have done tons of reading tried a lot!!!

I have done Caching, Google Page Speed Service, Optimize all images and a list of other things all with only marginal improvement. I think I am down to about 8 seconds, but that still feels like an eternity!

Anyhow, based on reports I think the main thing I need to do at this point is reduce the number of HTTP requests. This is what ySlow is saying:

This page has 41 external Javascript scripts. Try combining them into one.
This page has 19 external stylesheets. Try combining them into one.
This page has 7 external background images. Try combining them with CSS sprites.

Can anyone tell me why this site compared with other I have done is particularly slow? Also, any suggestions on how to reduce HTTP requests?!

http://www.healthylifestylesmt.com/

3 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Your site loads in 2.5 seconds. Thats about as good as it gets on shared hosting with 700+ other sites on the same server.

There are plugins that will combine js/css but often they introduce new problems.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I am so glad it loaded that fast for you!!! I have spent a ton of time optimizing it. I get mixed results. Sometimes is seems fast and then other time I check it and it seems crazy slow. Hard to understand all of the variable. Thanks for your response. 

Jenna

Posted · Report post

The reason as to why your site may load fast one moment and super slow the other is as Simon mentioned, you're using Shared Hosting. Shared Hosting is cheap web hosting, where host providers jam pack theirs servers with domains, the most we have ever seen is 1847 websites on one server which is just insane to be honest.

You have 700 websites on the same server as your website is very high also. So if you're worried about your sites performance, I would stop using Shared Hosting. FlyWheel who we recommend allow you to host 10 websites for $100 per month, which you may think is expensive. However, if you want a secure, stable and fast loading websites thats the price you have to pay. You could purchase your own server or vps for cheaper, but you will most likely need to manage it yourself i.e. install/configure Apache/Nginx, PHP, MySQL and update them.