Visual editor appearing in only the right half of the bottom of the screen

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi, I have a weird problem that just suddenly started last night; no new plugins installed recently.

Instead of having the full working area in the visual editor in the bottom half of my screen, it is all squeezed over on the right hand side, with a big empty space on the left. Which gives me a much smaller working area.

I have tried:

• restarting chrome
  • restarting the computer
  • logging in and out of website
  • disabling all plugins
  • disabling chrome extensions

Nothing has helped, it seems to be stuck like this. I can't drag things over to the left or anything as far as I can tell.

I have attached a screen shot.

15 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

HAve you tried clearing the cache in your browser?  This should reset your browser totally

Posted · Report post

Just tried again, no luck.

Posted · Report post

Could you try dragging the browser window tot he smallest possible and then back to wider see if that fixes the problem. 

Also can you try using 'inspect element' and then see if there are any error messages in the console for us please? 

Posted · Report post

I did that, but it didn't really fix anything. It is gradually getting smaller, now there's a white space on the right as well (only about 1"), so my working area is now only about 40% of the width and things are overlapping in there.

I tried inspect element and the console says the following:

event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead.

>

Posted · Report post

could you create a logon for your site with admin privileges and send the logon to hello @ pagelines .com with a link to this article in the email and i will do some tests for you. 

Posted · Report post

OK, I have done that, thank you. I am using Chrome on mac, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Posted · Report post

I will take alook and let you know what this might be - i wont make any changes. 

Posted · Report post

Looks like it is your custom css. Try removing the CSS and replacing this if it happens again. Maybe some alteration to your code might fix this. I checked your code but couldn't see anything that was affecting it. 

I removed the Custom CSS and published and the Visual editor returned to normal. - then pasted the CSS back and it still allows the editor to work. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Oh interesting. Hmm. I'll have to put things in one by one I guess.

Posted · Report post

This appears to be the trouble line, every time I add it it goes back to that weird view.  Is there something wrong about this code?

li  {margin-bottom: .8em; } 

Thanks very much for your help, I probably wouldn't have thought to try that. I changed the paragraph margins to 

p {  margin-top: 0 em;  margin-bottom: 1em; }

to tighten them up a bit, and then my lists looked weird so I had to fix that.

Posted · Report post

the code below is telling your site to make all the List items on your site <li> to have margin-bottom of 0.8em if you want to change a specific elements margin then add the element class to the CSS controlling the li item padding 

li {margin-bottom: .8em; } 

try 

.your-elements-class  li {margin-bottom: .8em; } 

Posted · Report post

I would like to change all of the lists to the same, but it doesn't like it when I add any li or ul styles in, it just killed the page when I tried to do that. Anyway, thanks for your help,  I'll fiddle around with it.

Posted · Report post

ok let us know how you get on. 

Posted · Report post

I think it's fine, it just doesn't like any styling on 'li'. It worked fine when I used a class.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for informing us the issue has been resolved.