Photo

Upgrade Path PlatformPro 1.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 tai5starweddingdirectorycom

tai5starweddingdirectorycom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

Hi is there a simple upgrade path, to the new PlatformPro 1.11 As all is working fine on my site at the moment and do not want to have to reinstall from scratch. Thanks

#2 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

If you are using Platform Pro and earlier to 1.1.1 [not .11, that doesn't exist yet] you could installed Base. But, since I've been using Base from nearly the beginning it brings up some interesting questions. I used the first release of Platform Pro without Base installed, then added Base, and I don't remember if settings were overwritten or not when I activated Base. I'm also not sure how they interact; for instance, if you upload Base and then activate it, will it be impossible to back out of Base without having to reconfigure? Anyway, when you signed up, you should have been given access to Platform Pro and Platform Pro Base. Base allows you to make customizations to the site without having to go back and make changes. That being said, anything fundamentally changed will cause you to fix presentation and functionality issues. It just comes with the territory of themes, bug finding and patching. Pagelines... care to answer those questions up there at the top of my response? In a nutshell... "Platform Pro and Base... how does it ****ing work?" Yeah, I masked that because of the kids.

#3 tai5starweddingdirectorycom

tai5starweddingdirectorycom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

?? sorry I ment 1.1.1. So still confused on the upgrade install method!

#4 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:03 AM

What we recommend is renaming your old theme folder, then uploading the new one. Backup your settings. Switch to the new theme folder in:

Appearance > Themes

Import the settings to the new theme. If you've made any hard coded changes in the template file, you will have to remake those otherwise everything will stay the same, customizations, plugins, pages, posts everything will be fine and you'll have the updated theme.

If you were to incur any problems you'd still have your old theme folder to easily switch back to.

Thanks, Bryan

#5 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

The easiest way to upgrade, right now, is probably to:
  • Backup your site (not a concern, but you should always do this
  • Rename your old theme files (using an FTP client -- this will briefly take your site back to the default theme)
  • Use the WP admin "add new themes" tool to upload the zip and activate (or alternatively use FTP to upload the files)

This particular update shouldn't cause any new bugs or conflicts...

Note: for Base to work the name of the parent theme needs to be 'platformpro' (or you need to change a few lines of code in base -- i.e. change calls to platformpro to whatever else...)